Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Spam: Stub Hub, Rosalind Gardner, Kowabunga
    No signature and no title on the email but there is an affiliate link.

And I'm dumping Stub Hub right now. I wish I could dump Kowabunga, too.

Hi,Rhea
    This time I HIGHLY RECOMMEND "Super Affiliate Handbook" The Authors is one of our super affiliates. Read the amazing true story of how one woman, with no previous business experience, earned $436,797 in 2006 from our affiliate program [highlighting mine -- does anyone else find this unbelievable?] and now earns MUCH MORE than that ... just by selling other people's stuff online!

In her down-to-earth, sincere and often humorous style, Rosalind Gardner guides you through the entire process of building an affiliate marketing business on the 'Net.

Frequently revised and updated to reflect industry changes, the Super Affiliate Handbook now consists of 235 pages and 116 screenshots words that will show you step-by-step how to become a Super Affiliate.
    You'll learn how to install a blog, pick the most lucrative programs, negotiate a commission raise and save time, money and effort on everything from affiliate software to web hosting.

To learn exactly how she does it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND
    that you visit: "Super Affiliate Handbook"

Oh, my gosh! Unwanted email from Kowabunga/Think Partnership or its clients? How shocking!

Seriously, there have already been several discussion threads this year about spam from Think Partnership, Kowabunga, and their clients.

This is one of the reasons why I've added Kowabunga to my "black list" of affiliate companies I will not work with (along with CJ and LinkShare, which I avoid for quite different reasons, although all three could be excluded for "giving bad advice to merchants").

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I don't normally try to defend merchants, but spam from Stub Hub just doesn't sound right. Are you cetain that Stub Hub themselves actually knows anything about the spamming?

I've worked with them for over 2 years though their independent program (not CJ's) and talked a lot with their affiliate manager and the whole spam thing just doesn't seem like anything they would knowingly touch.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I got TWO of those lovely emails today. Not happy.

Cagles Mill, I don't know anything, other than what the email stated it was. I don't know who sent it, whether it was Stub Hub or not. If it was them someone needs to have their butt kicked. If it wasn't them then they should know about it and I have no problem with you telling them about this thread. BTW, is Brian Streich still running the affiliate program at Stub Hub?

Here are the headers from the email, with my personal information removed:

Return-Path: <affiliate@stubhub.com>
    Received: from mail5.kowabunga.net (mail.kowabunga.net [66.192.131.253])
    by XXXXX.com (XXXXX) with ESMTP id XXXXX
    for <XXXXX>; Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:42:31 -0400
    Received: from mail.kowabunga.net (lifechecks-affiliates.com [66.192.131.180])
    by mail5.kowabunga.net (8.12.8/8.12.8) with SMTP id l71EgRdV015698
    for <XXXXX>; Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:42:27 -0400
    To: "XXXXX" <XXXXX>
    Message-Id: <20070108.144227.cbb9e336@stubhub.com>
    Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:42:27 GMT
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    X-mailer: AspMail 4.0 4.11 (SMT425CE5F)
    Subject: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND "Super Affiliate Handbook"
    X-Virus-Scanned: ClamAV 0.87/3846/Wed Aug 1 03:27:07 2007 on eng1.kowabunga.net
    X-Virus-Status: Clean
    X-UIDL: 'p`!!,C:"!/M_"!B@)#!
    X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.5.476 [269.11.0/929]
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=======AVGMAIL-46B0A0320540======="

I just noticed the reference to lifechecks-affiliates.com. This is their whois data.

http://whois.domaintools.com/lifechecks-affiliates.com
    If you look at the screenshot of the web site you'll see that it's a Kolimbo login page. Apparently Lifechecks Affiliates is a Kolimbo merchant, so what are they doing using Stub Hub's email address to send out spam?

Here's the person that's benefiting...
    a=FLn36pEE4

Right, but I'm betting it's encypted. Only someone with the decryption key could tell you who that affiliate is.

Hey, you wanna go into bidnitz wit me sleuthing the internet for bad guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Right, but I'm betting it's encypted. Only someone with the decryption key could tell you who that affiliate is.
    The folks at KB know who it is

Hey, you wanna go into bidnitz wit me sleuthing the internet for bad guys? [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Like it

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rhea:
    BTW, is Brian Streich still running the affiliate program at Stub Hub?
    I don't think so or at least I haven't heard mention of him for a long time. I've been communicating with Emily Panos for the last year or so.

I just sent her a link to this thread. It will be interesting to hear what she may have to say about the situation.

Personally, I have come to trust Stub Hub more than most of the affiliate programs I am involved with. (OK, Emily, this does not mean you folks can start taking advantage of me. )
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Everyone,

This email was not sanctioned by StubHub, we do not support the Super Affiliate Handbook and we never spam our affiliates. We are currently handling this matter with Kowabunga.

StubHub

From what i understand Kowabunga is working to resolve this. This isn't StubHub's fault. They didn't send the email. It was sent to affiliates working with merchants that use Kowabunga's system.

Emily Panos runs the program at StubHub. Brian Streich is still with them but works in a different area. I spoke with Emily when I received this mail. They are as upset as we are. StubHub has never spammed me so I knew something was fishy.

Kowabunga needs to be answering for this. This is not acceptable.

Well, thanks for stopping by, StubHubAM. Maybe you could tell me how to unsubscribe from your program. I can't find a button to push to do that on the interface. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't send out the spam but I'm not giving Kowabunga/Kolimbo any more leeway. This is not the first time this has happend to many of us. Somebody is plainly selling or misappropriating affiliate email addresses and I've had enough.

BTW, a little more snooping and I found that lifechecks-affiliates.com is part of lifechecks.com. Their motto is "Spread the good word with LifeChecks." I hope they don't think spamming is spreading the good word.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I manage 4 programs altogether: 4Checks, which features all of our available check designs, LifeChecks, where the primary offering is religious and spiritual designs, Check Crafters, for business and computer checks and Unique Checks, for photo checks and gifts.

We would never SPAM affiliates. It is beyond an inconvenience - it is unprofessional and damages relationships. I would not send an unsolicited email pushing someone else's product to my affiliate partners because it conflicts with the Core Values both myself and Custom Direct hold dear: Respect, Integrity, Continuous Improvement, Customer Centered, Profitable Growth & Teamwork.

Rest assured I will get to the bottom of this. Thank you Rhea for bringing it out in the open. I fear I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Wow. Time for you guys to seriously talk to the folks at SAS about changing your venue.

And that's my unsolicited advice for the day.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Update
    I called Kowabunga and spoke with one of the Reps there who was kind enough to inform me that their web server is apparently reporting our domain. A fix is currently being made to correct this.

I've asked nicely that they come here to explain what happened publicly and I will keep you posted with any further information that comes my way.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

I just noticed the reference to lifechecks-affiliates.com.
    The reason lifechecks-affiliates.com shows up in the message headers is because the e-mail originated on the web server used to host the lifechecks-affiliates.com site, and the "X-mailer: AspMail 4.0 4.11 (SMT425CE5F)" line means that it was done using a plug-in for Active Server Pages. I doubt any of that is under the control of LifeChecks or Kim (AM@4checks), because it should be Kowabunga that is managing the server and what is installed on it.

Kim: I suggest you find out from Kowabunga how anyone was able to use an ASP page on that server to send out this kind of e-mail. And they should take the appropriate measures to make sure it doesn't happen again, so that your affiliate program is not associated with spam.

Edit: Such a slow typer I am....

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that I would have asked nicely. How does their webserver "apparently report your domain?"

Sounds very fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    I don't think that I would have asked nicely. How does their webserver "apparently report your domain?"
    One server usually has many IP addresses, each of which usually corresponds to one or more domain names. In this case, the ASP web page elsewhere on the server could have claimed to be from lifechecks-affiliates.com IP address, even though it has nothing to do with that domain. And when the receiving mail server did a reverse lookup to find the domain that matches the IP address, it associated it with lifechecks-affiliates.com.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Greg Hoffman, any comment??

I get spammed by ROsalind Gardner every week. I just unsubscribed recently..
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I got one of these this morning. Too bad I deleted it, but it appeared to be sent from calendars.com, a Kowabunga program.
    ~Ernie

Although I have deleted them, I have also received many emails from her. Just got one yesterday, but being in the habit of automatically reporting and deleting, I did not catch where it originated from.

Veteran
    I too received a copy of the spam sent to promote my Super Affiliate Handbook.

I was later informed by a rep from MP3Dollars that someone busted into their email server and sent the message out to all of their affiliates.

As for discovering the culprit, the link was indeed encrypted, but any affiliate who promotes Clickbank products, knows to click through to the order page and look down at the bottom for the CB affiliate ID.

In this case it was mycpa2003.

To find out whether they have a homepage listed on CB, just create a CB hoplink with the affiliate ID in the vendor spot. Of course, the spammer's URL came up as invalid when I checked.

Regardless, these guys must be reported to Clickbank, which hopefully will respond by closing the affiliate account.

FYI ske9963 - My NPT newsletter is double opt-in and therefore NOT unsolicited email - NOT spam.

Rosalind Gardner
    Author of the Super Affiliate Handbook (took out link)
    Last edited by Trust; August 16th, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: link

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread