I am looking to start a niche auction website, and believe the only way to compete against ebay, is to offer the best affiliate program around. Without the help of hundreds of other websites in my niche, i'll fail.
    The auction will be a performance based auction only, no listing fees, and fair final value fee's (~70% of eBay's FVFs).

I really think the auction site could fly, if i can get the support of other webmasters. I currently have a website that pulls over 20,000 unique visitors a month in the same niche. My guess is i need close to 250,000 unique visitors a month to make the auction site fly. My goal is to have 100,000 people register within the first 3 months. I will do so by holding a drawing / prize (~$2500 value) on the 3 months anniversary to pull in thoes registrations

There are close to 5,000 sites listed in the ODP directory for my niche, and in a recent eBay "report", my niche is a top money maker for ebay. (just under golf auctions).

As for the details of the program, i will be having a 90 day cookie, and 30 - 60% life time commissions & 5% on the 2nd tier. I think i'll start everyone at 30% commissions, and then move up as they preform better. This will also allow me to have some bargaining power with super affiliates.

To me, this program almost sounds too good to be true for my affiliates. At the same time, anything less may not get the users needed to make my site go.

Any thoughts?

By the way, i am designing this program as an affiliate. My current website pushes well over two million page views a month, however even with the best targeted affiliate marketing, its hard to pull more then a few hundred dollars a month from the site.

There is a definante need for a money making affiliate program in the niche i am targeting. I have no doubt i could feel it.

No affiliates want to comment about life time comissions?

Has anyone had any expirence with life time commissions? Do you prefer them, or just a quick buck up front?

Definately prefer lifetime commissions, but I never really trust that they are going to continue. Really I will never promote a merchant unless I get a good immediate return. Lifetime commissions are a bonus.

Good luck with the auction site.

"My current website pushes well over two million page views a month, however even with the best targeted affiliate marketing, its hard to pull more then a few hundred dollars a month from the site."

I guess it depends on the topic of the site. For some of my sites if I was getting over 2 million page views I would be getting at least $500,000 per month in revenue.

Thanks for the reply, I would love to offer a CPA (registration) program, but i dont have the money to do so. I know i will pay out alot more in the long run, but i think this may be the best bet. Payments will be made net 15, or 15 days after i recive payment from the auction users.

My site with the 2million page views is a community / forum type site, about the same size as ABW. Luckly (?) for me, there are no good affiliate programs for my target audiance. The webmasters im going after are hungry to start making money off there sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Lifetime commissions work well in MLMs or programs where there is a lot of personal contact and loyalty. There will be a few sites with this type of traffic.

Problem is that, in the long run, you need the web sites to continue driving traffic. The life time commission gets the in the way of the repeat customer issue.

The idea has the promise of getting a lot of people in the site quickly. It gives you a chance to see if the site has the potential to succeed, and to fold without having a big affiliate payout.

For affiliates, the payout is questionable...most people I know are sick of getting burned by things like this.

A strategy where the owner of the life time commission changes if the customer comes back through a different link might be interesting. Of course, a clever programmer could find a way to fool your program to change the ownership of the lifetime cookie...like putting your in a popup off an unsubscribe pane from their spam lists.

boom!

*nod* Another idea we have been toying with is to offer 50% commissions on all fees, for one year.

Or, split the commission, again for life, or higher fees for one year. When an item sales, 25% goes to the referring webmaster of the seller, and 25% goes to the referring webmaster of the buyer.

I dont know of any affiliate programs that do this, so its new ground as far as i know, It is also something that may just work!

BTW< I am going to be using the myaffiliateprogram.com software and services. I have already talked to the programers, and they are confident they can do anything i dream up...

Joe,

Regarding lifetime commissions, it shows to me that you have committment to affiliates which is always a good sign. You also show a lot of drive.

We will start seeing "many" more lifetime commission program this year. We also utilize lifetime commissions at NewWebsite.com which has brought some top affiliates aboard. The pharmacy programs I promote utilize them as well which is great because of refill orders by customers. I love lifetime commissions!

You will be happy with your myaffiliateprogram.com software which also gets you listed in their affiliatecash.com directory. More and more affiliates are using that directory to find niche programs. I sure am using it more often and subscribe to their newsletter to hear about new programs using their software. Make sure to get listed in other affiliate directories as well which will bring in affiliate sign-ups. I've compiled a list of directories at http://www.affiliatenetwork.org/affi...irectories.htm which will save you some time.

Good Luck and let us know when you launch it.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

Thank you Larry!

I cant wait to start, i have had the plans in place for over a year now.

One of the main reasons i am starting the program, is to help out other webmasters in my niche. I already have dozens of webmasters asking me how to make money, i hope this is the answer!

After talking with Haiko about the project, i have alot to think about...

I think im going to go with a CPL program ($.50 - $1.00), as well as a 10% (more for super affiliates, and key partners) cut on sucsesfull auction fees for the "life" of the customer.

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals!

~Joe

Joe it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row I wish you the best of luck you will do very well.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

Thanks John! I am very excited to get the ball rolling. I am expecting 90% of my traffic to come from affiliates!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread