Backup reminder...
    A few weeks ago, I was thinking to myself "I should back up my laptop. It's been a while." And of course, I didn't. I couldn't be bothered or I forgot or something... I should've just gone ahead and done it when I thought of it. The next week, wouldn't you know it... *crash* The laptop fell. I don't know how. I was nowhere near it when it happened. It wasn't teetering off the edge of anything. I didn't trip over a cord. It just inexplicably fell. The dog was closer to it than I was, but I don't think it was her... I'm just sayin'...

Perhaps it was distraught over the recent slow down in commissions in my accounts and attempted suicide. If only it had waited a few weeks!

At any rate, the end result is that the data is completely unrecoverable because the read/write head crashed into the platters and obliterated my data. Of all the places it could've hit the ground, it had to be the corner where the hard drive sits. Is that the technological equivalent to buttered toast always landing butter side down?

Let this be a lesson to me! Just YET ANOTHER friendly reminder to back up your data.

*trudges off to beat head against wall* Urgh.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

What's a good way to back up data?

Put the data on disks? CDs? That's what I do. Any other suggestions?

Sometimes I'll send files to gmail.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ouch! I remember a statistic years ago that said something like "70% of hard drives are backed up 1 week AFTER a crash".

I use FolderShare to sync all of my important data across 3 systems in real time and I do a weekly backup of my main system. Guess when I started this process? One week after my last drive failure.

Go have a drink and think of this as a chance to get rid of all the stuff you really didn't need anyway.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Great reminder, I think I am going to go right now and do just that, and not put it off any longer.

If it is critical data, it can be recovered. There are many data recovery services available. Suggest working with one local to you if you can find one. I've had to do this a couple times and found the service much better if you show up in person rather than shipping it across the country.

If you do go this route, the first thing they tell you is don't power it up and don't shake it.

I have external hard drives that I usually back up to. They're kinda old though, so I'm gonna use this as an excuse to invest in some of the smaller, really portable hard drives. Anyone have any suggestions as to brands/models?

A lot of the data can be recreated. Pictures of the family can't. I'll have to start getting in the habit of uploading them to online photo albums or backing them up right after I download them from the camera.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    If it is critical data, it can be recovered. There are many data recovery services available. Suggest working with one local to you if you can find one. I've had to do this a couple times and found the service much better if you show up in person rather than shipping it across the country.

If you do go this route, the first thing they tell you is don't power it up and don't shake it.
    I had a data recovery service work on it. That's how I found out the read/write arm had crashed into the platters. They opened it in a clean room and found it was severely physically damaged and totally unrecoverable. Just my luck. I'll look on the bright side though. If it had been recoverable, it would've cost me nearly $1800 to do the recovery. Ouch. Since it isn't, it only cost me $100. Somehow that only makes me feel slightly better. I'd rather have my data. I can't help it, I'm a packrat. LOL.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I have external hard drives that I usually back up to. They're kinda old though, so I'm gonna use this as an excuse to invest in some of the smaller, really portable hard drives. Anyone have any suggestions as to brands/models?
    I recently bought an external had drive at a local Circuitcity store. It was a Western Digital brand and it was on sale (500G for $129 something like that). For some reason, my compuer had a hard time to recognize the device(sometime recognized it, sometimes didn't). Although it could be because I didn't do the updates right as it required... Anyway, I brought it back to the store and exchanged to a Maxtor 320G at $99.99. My couputer recognized it right away and it works great so far.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Two weeks ago my Dell laptop of 3 years lost its hard drive. I had a Zip drive with critical documents but lost 10 years worth of archived emails.

Last week my Dell laptop (won't be 2 until Christmas) gave me a warning sign. On start up the fan shakes and makes a horrid noise that stops after a few minutes. But I have found if I just leave the laptop running 24/7 the fan runs normally.

I have a 500gb Seagate drive I make backups to... plus I always carry with me a pen drive with encrypted data I can't afford to lose (login ids, passwords etc). If my house burnt down and took my backups with it I have enough on the pen drive and two pocket drives I keep at a friends to recover

I've been lucky and there have been warning signs with all my systems that have enabled me to backup my data... the actual pain is the reloading of all my programs

Searching for CDs and downloading is a major time waster and pain in the butt.

I've been told the laptop may continue to run for a year with no problem - but I prefer to get a new one. Just bought new software that claims to move programs from old computer to new. And picked up an inexpensive laptop to migrate to. I'm worried as my Dell is Windows XP while the cheapy is Vista. Once done I hope to be able to replace the fan in my Dell and keep the cheapy as a backup. Replacing the fan is no easy feat in a laptop so the possibility of losing the Dell is real

The Dell desktop I have is 6 years old and not capable of running most of my graphics applications. I paid for and never used the 4 year warranty. So, silly me opted not to get the extended warranty on the Dell laptop... sigh

One more person tells me how great it is to work at home and how stress free that is compared to their Corporate America job, I might just explode
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    We just ordered one of these bad boys

The PowerVault RD1000 removable disk cartridge contains a SATA II hard drive, the same technology that Dell uses across the PowerVaultTM disk storage line, the PowerEdgeTM server line, and in Dell PrecisionTM Workstations. SATA II hard drive technology is a reliable, industry-standard for storage, and an ideal long-term and durable media. Files transfer to the PowerVault RD1000 at about the same time it would take to save to your regular PC drive, up to 30MB/sec - much faster than backing up to standard tape, and without the hassle of swapping out media due to capacity constraints.

Archiving a collection of PowerVault RD1000 disk cartridges takes considerably less room than a similar amount of DVDs or CDs - it would take 34 standard DVDs to hold the volume of a single 160GB removable disk cartridge - all while saving shelf space.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Two weeks ago my Dell laptop of 3 years lost its hard drive. I had a Zip drive with critical documents but lost 10 years worth of archived emails.
    Same thing happened to me last month, 7 years worth of emails gone, lots of usernames and passwords. I was able to retrieve almost all the data using a linux cd called knoppix just before the drive totally crashed. But I could not find my emails anywhere on the drive, that really sucked. I have 3 external drives now for backups

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i backup my office computer to my laptop and an offsite computer almost every week (skip vacation weeks when nothing's changed) and burn archive CDs at least once a month, also store them off site. been my routine for years - gotta protect my biz.

Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    From Circuit City about 2 weeks ago ....

SimpleTech 250GB External USB Hard Drive $130
    Instant Online rebate $30
    Manufacturer's mail in rebate $30
    Net cost to me $70
    Having decent backup of my laptop files....priceless

As to the when, I got this before a crash. As luck would have it my 20 month old daughter almost killed my laptop yesterday - she put in 3 DVDs at once and tried to get it to play - the only damage was to the discs themsleves. Knowing Murphy's Law - had I not put a backup in place the damage would have been to the hard drive instead ;o)

I use WS_FTP to schedule and synchronize backups between different machines and my web server.

So for instance, all my websites files are downloaded to my PC every night and working files transferred to a backup drive in a different machine.

It's handy when I screw up in coding and forget or neglect to back up the file before changing it. I just get the backup from the previous day.

I download all the log files too, and examine them using AWstats on my PC.

WS_FTP acts as my FTP client too. It does a lot for the money ($43), I think.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread