Exclamation Major Bridge Collapse here in Minneapolis!
    It is horrific! It is all over the news here and on Fox News Channel.

http://www.foxnews.com/

Glad you are OK Connie, first thing I worried about was you. ;( It is truly horrible!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Just awful - I've been watching the coverage on MSNBC and am surprised that none of the LA stations have broken off regular programming to cover it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

omg, this is horrible, and my heart goes out to all families affected.

http and a telephoto
    Was glad it was you that posted, then checked to see if Danny was online. You 2 are the only people any where near the area that I know.

It's devastating, and scary if they don't find a cause. Bridges aren't supposed to just collapse for no reason.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "It's devastating, and scary if they don't find a cause. Bridges aren't supposed to just collapse for no reason."

They were saying something with the structure/structural failure:

"In a report released in May 2006, transport department inspectors had seen fatigue cracks and bending of girders that lift the approaching span, local media said."

There was renovation work going on (at least that kept down the number of cars on the bridge at the time to one lane in each direction) but officials have denied anything structural was being done. Contrary to that, eyewitnesses have said that the was a lot of vibration coming from the work area before the colapse. But I have heard one person refer to a jackhammer, while another refer to a pile-driver. They'll determine the actual cause, but it will take months at least.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "In a report released in May 2006, transport department inspectors had seen fatigue cracks and bending of girders that lift the approaching span, local media said."
    And they didn't close it. They were working on it, but left it open to traffic. Makes me feel good about driving across bridges now. I know people that were terrified of being on bridges already, now they will literally have panic attacks when driving over any.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "And they didn't close it."

But they also said this:

"Coleman said Gov. Tim Pawlenty had told him the 40-year-old bridge was inspected and "given a clean bill of health" three years ago."

I guess they thought it wasn't that big a deal, not sure. I actually saw a documentary earlier this year on the state of the bridges in our country. A lot them are just old and they were talking about these cracks and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    There was renovation work going on (at least that kept down the number of cars on the bridge at the time to one lane in each direction) but officials have denied anything structural was being done. Contrary to that, eyewitnesses have said that the was a lot of vibration coming from the work area before the colapse. But I have heard one person refer to a jackhammer, while another refer to a pile-driver...
    Yes, I've read about that too... Were both directions in a traffic jam, or just one? If one was moving, it could have just been a vibration of the bridge under the moving cars... Crazy stuff. My condolences to those whose family members might have been in this mess.

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OMG - thankfully a school bus filled with kids had just crossed the bridge before it collapsed.

Glad to know Connie and Danny are safe.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

15 years and counting
    Just to see the school bus laying on the side is awful. Driving on some of these bridges between St Pete & Tampa is scary or when you're stuck in traffic in the Keys. I know why now. Poor people, what an horrible experience, what a night, imagine being trapped under the concrete.

My heart goes out to those affected. I can't imagine being involved in something like that - especially as a construction worker trying to ride the bridge into the water surrounded by 2 ton pinballs...

A terrible scene to be sure.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    .....and of course, shortly after the collapse, domains like:

minneapolisbridgecollapse dot com dot org dot info were registered, as was bridgecollapse dot info. Perhaps they were defensive registrations by humanitarians. If you really want to be a scum, though, you'll have to pay $700 through the nose for the godaddy premium domain of bridgecollapse.com ( which was registered, initially in 2004, at least ).
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thanks for your thoughts. I seem to be in the clear as far as friends and family. It was a little surreal making the calls and texting (cel phones jammed) to check on people likely to be in the area. My dad was just driving on that bridge a couple days before and said he had been avoiding it due to the construction repair slow-downs going on.

They had the traffic diverted to the center lanes which is normal. Yet that makes us wonder if the added center weight distribution may have contributed to the failure. Traffic was moving slowly at the time. So, it is likely they were close to a traffic jam.

To my memory that has always been the bounciest bridge in the city during high traffic times.

The weird thing is that you don't really feel like you're driving on a bridge until you were already over the water looking down at the river. It's a very gradual approach and blends with the freeway. Well, it did anyway. To think of what it must have been like is just erie if you've ever gone over it.

This will affect the city for 1-3 years as traffic will need to be diverted and that will increase traffic on roads. Many of which are at high use due to the road construction already in the summer. And then there's winter to think of.

It's a horrible tragedy and obviously something was missed or overlooked at some point. We will look for ways to help those affected and our prayers are with the families of the missing and deceased. Hopefully, there will not be many more. It will take time at this point and reports say it could be as much as 20-30 who are still missing.

On the radio it sounds like a lot of people took today off as traffic was light during today's rush-hour period.

We're a bunch of thick blooded, cool-headed mid-westerners up here. Watch how they wipe this up to make it a memorial and reminder that anything can happen at anytime.
    Maybe this will set some higher standards for checks on the thousand of bridges throughout the country.

-Good Blessings
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

My uncle and his family live in the area, it was nuts trying to get ahold of him yesterday after hearing on the news, but all is well, thank God!

My thoughts and prayers are with all those injured or killed as well as their families.

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Glad your safe Danny and others. It's really terrible to see that and glad to see the kids and the bus make it safely across.

Youtube video abuse spammers are rampant. I just caught one that placed video from the washington bridge collapse (you know the twisting one) and titled it as live cel video footage of this one.

What creeps. Thankfully, the comments are saying so. Talk about jumping on a news story for you're own gain. Youtube seems to be working on deleting some misleading posts.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

This certainly caught our attention yesterday. My wife is leaving on Saturday for a convention in Minneapolis (she's in the second "wave" of 4,500 Creative Memories (scrapbooking) consultants; the first group started arriving yesterday). I'm glad now that she decided to arrive a day early, and paid extra to be in a hotel near the convention center, since I'm sure traffic will be horrible.

News reports have mentioned various inspections of the bridge that have been done over several years, and scary findings that have been downplayed or ignored.

There was an in-depth study of the bridge's fatigue potential conducted from 2004 to 2007, and their findings recommended that either they immediately add steel plates to reinforce critical parts of the bridge, or that they conduct even more thorough inspections to determine whether there were additional cracks that had developed since prior inspections. What was decided though, was to do the resurfacing that was in progress, and when that was completed, to do the addtional inspections.

Well, I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a member of the Minnesota State Legislature, and he told me that during their last session, they passed a highway funding bill that would have paid to immediately begin such needed structural work on the bridge, but that the bill was vetoed by Governor Tim Pawlenty (R).

I searched the Governor's website, and was able to find his veto message. He basically said that the sales, gasoline, and excise tax increases it would impose were too much for Minnesotans to bear.

My firend says the Gov. is taking a lot of heat at the moment.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread