How do you say it politely?
    Recently I logged in to check my email messeges, like many affiliates we get alot of them, when I came across about 50 or so re: forwarded emails from my dear aunt. I generally just delete them when they come, but it has gotten way out of hand. I feel bad for saying this but I have actually put her on my banned list, but the emails keep coming. Does anyone have an idea of how to get the madness to stop? lol

Suggestions please

http and a telephoto
    Tell her that you can't accept forwarded emails any longer because there are so many with viruses. Blame your ISP if you need an excuse. Tell her they told you that you are getting too many and need to have them stop or they will shut down your account, or just tell her they are being blocked and don't get through to you.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I tell them this is my BUSINESS computer

then give them a Yahoo or gmail email to use in the future

which i never check

Thanks loxly for the wonderful suggestions, it just might work

ABW Ambassador
    We have at least 5 relatives that FWD all kinds of crap to a LONG list of people we don't even know. We don't wish to have all these folks know our email addy.

We are considering having the senders KILLED.
    Just trying to get the best price...

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I tell them this is my BUSINESS computer

then give them a Yahoo or gmail email to use in the future

which i never check
    Is that why you never answer my emails? Hummm... someone else just gave me a gmail address and I never get replies from them either.... I don't send THAT many emails... any more, lol.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You all have some great ideas, have to grab my pen to write all this down...(smile)

Internet Cowboy
    I ask people to remove me from their list. I be sure to tell them that I would love to hear from them if they have something to say, but please don't forward me a bunch of junk because I get plenty of email already. Most people understand, those who don't eventually end up in the spam folder.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It also makes that long list of name a potential for Spam harvesters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    We have at least 5 relatives that FWD all kinds of crap to a LONG list of people we don't even know. We don't wish to have all these folks know our email addy.

We are considering having the senders KILLED.
    Just trying to get the best price...
    This is the best idea so far. Maybe we can get everyone to pool our lists and get a group rate.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't send jokes from 5 years ago that have been in my inbox 25 times already. I don't think I ever got one of these that I hadn't already seen.

or

Take all the names on the list and start sending them product emails with affiliate links in them...... that'll learn em.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Oy GAWD - my mother discovered email about 6 months ago and has been sending me tons of fwds. The same ones I got sick of seeing 10 years ago. Telling her I've already seen them multiple times does no good. She asks every day: "Did you get my emails?!" Duh - I indulge her but also send her the appropriate Snopes page when she's sent one of those 'Bill Gates wants to give you money!' or 'Quick, delete this harmless Windows file that's sending a virus to all your email contacts!' junkers.

I guess we could try to be compassionate and realize they're just as excited about email as we were when we first discovered the Internet. In ten years, they'll be shaking their heads at the noob sending them all that same crap.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Or you could send a link to one of the many sites dealing in email netiquette, they are generally geared toward educating the newbies.

I hate to burst your bubble, Rexanne, but my mom has been spamming me for over five years now. I honestly think that any email she gets qualifies for something that she feels everyone in her contact list should be receiving. Unfortunately, I'm in that contact list...

I talked to her about at one time. Made a joke of it so as to not hurt her feelings. Called her the Spam Queen of the Internet World. She laughed. I laughed. She kept spamming me. I cried.

Now that my dad has a cushy desk job, he's gotten into it to. As has my sister-in-law. The problem is, they all occasionally send an email that I need to get (not a forward, but something with value), so I am obligated to delete literally 100's of forwards a week so I can catch the one to two a month that have value.

We're a pretty religious family, so I get forwards of all types. Bad jokes, sappy stories, religious motivators. They all have two things in common: they're usually poorly written, and they're unwanted.

At the very least, it's comforting to know that there are other people out there dealing with loved ones sending them junk mail. I haven't expressly blacklisted my mom yet, but my junk filters have learned by themselves to be suspicious of what she sends...

Sad as it is, I think that's funny...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

CPA Network Rep
    Haha This thread is so funny. My mom does the EXACT same thing! But the email hoaxes is what she sends me.

I made the mistake of "getting her on the internet" a year or two ago and being that she has no idea that almost every forward on the net telling you to be a afraid of something is a hoax, she forwards them all to me URGENTLY.

I get them all from her: the guy who went out for a drink and woke up in the bathtub full of ice MINUS one kidney, how microsoft is going to start charging $1 per email, to watch out for XYZ virus that's going to wipe everyone off the face of the earth....etc etc.

Of course, she believes everything on the NEWS as well. So there's no hope.

Option 1)
    I have had systems shut down from emails I have opened up from friends and family who have been forwarding me "cute" emails, photos, chain mail, etc.
    Sorry, but if you are going to keep sending them to me, I am going to have to block your email address.
    If I block you, I won't be able to hear from you at all and I would hate to miss an important email from you.
    Thanks and I still love ya!!!
    Me.
    Option 2) Take the worst, most embarrasing picture you have of the violator. If you don't have one, photoshop what you do have.
    Attach it to their email.
    reply to all

repeat as needed.

Option 3) Get the blue screen program. Simulates a blue screen of death with a message that your hard drive is being deleted.
    Rename it something "cute" and have them download it. Once they firgure out how to get rid of the message and email or call you, tell them never to spam you again.
    If you don't hear from them for awhile, call them and make sure they could figure out how to get rid of it.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    That's what I love about Cloudmark, the spam filter I use. You can block those emails. I'd rather miss an occasional email I would have like to have read than wade thru a ton of junk.

Of course you can nicely say "I appreciate all the emails you have been forwarding to me but I just don't have the time to enjoy them. I know you meant well but could you please stop sending them?"

If that doesn't get it then you are dealing with an extraordinarily selfish person.

You can always filter them into a special folder (I always told my mom it was the "VIP Folder"), where it's much easier to periodically "Select All" and delete or mark them as read.

As for the hoaxes, replying back with a link to the appropriate Snopes page has always been effective for me. I don't think I've had anyone send me more than few hoax emails when I do that. Either they stop sending them to me, or they start checking Snopes first.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm so glad my mom didn't discover email yet.

One of my friends however keeps sending me fwds. I told her it was annoying as hell and I don't read them anyway and she stopped.

I have the same thing with my mom and two sisters who are very nieve when it comes to the supposedly URGENT email they get. I thought they would get the hint when I started sending the emails right back to them, but it only started an email war, and guess who was on the losing end.
    Last edited by $Cleopatra$; August 3rd, 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: quote did not work properly

My problem is the attachments. My dad will take a ton of high resolution photos at a boring dinner party and then send every one of them out to his full list. My mom once had to call all her friends and family in south Africa to tell them to call their ISP to delete one of his emails because it was extremely slow and expensive to get it to download. He's finally learned the power of Adobe but the files are still very large.

Quote Originally Posted by Colette
    My problem is the attachments. My dad will take a ton of high resolution photos ...
    There are services where he can upload and display pictures (as if they were in an album).
    Someone I know uses Snapfish
    http://www.snapfish.com/aboutUs

I think Kodak has a similar service ...

Another possibility is http://photobucket.com/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread