Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question What Do You Grill ?
    Folks,

I know many of you are into grilling things too... My wife and myself love grilling large shrimp and salmon (soaked either in soy sauce, or a sauce made of lime juice + 2 chilli peppers + ginger + basil + salt).

What do you grill? How do you grill it?

Any special recipes?

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Steak.

1) Get some decent-sized porterhouses or T-Bones.
    2) Cover with garlic salt
    3) Cook until med-rare
    4) Eat!
    5) Notice how the coals are NOW finally "just right," while licking the last of the steak residue off the fork.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    For all you onion lovers.

Peel a sweet (Vidalia or Spanish) onion. Scoop or notch an indentation in the top. Put a teaspoon of sugar in the indentation. Put a pat of butter or margarine on top. Wrap the onion in aluminum foil. Put it on the top rack of the grill. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Be careful when you unwrap it as steam will come shooting out.

Here's a nice thing to do with leftover baked potatoes the next day, although this is not for the grill but the oven.

Slice the potatoes into half-inch thick rounds. Spray a round baking dish with cooking oil. Arrange the potato slices in a circle. Spray the potato slices with cooking oil. Cook in the oven at 450 for ten minutes. Turn potato slices over, spray with cooking oil and cook for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle garlic powder, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the tops of the potatoes (don't be stingy). Bake until the cheese browns just the way you like it.

And here's a summer salad I like to make when we cook out.

You need a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and a can of sweet corn (not creamed). Rinse the chickpeas well, drain and toss with the corn. Add the juice of half a lemon, a spritz of lime juice, a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Slice and add more veggies like baby carrots, snap peas, red onion, scallions, etc. If you like you can season with garlic powder or red pepper. Toss well. Serve cold. This is also good served in a pita pocket for a quick lunch.

Steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, fish, chicken, ribs (seared on the grill and then baked in the oven).

For my steaks, I like a simple rub of garlic, salt, and pepper. Rub that into the meat, and then warm them up on the grill (I cook mine somewhere between medium rare and medium - I prefer the taste of a medium rare, but the consistency is a little chewy for my tastes).

For my burgers, it's all about the Lee & Perkins Worcestershire Sauce. I mix that along with some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in with the ground beef, and add about half an egg white to every 1.5 lbs of meat to help the burgers stay together on the grill.

For ribs, I'm huge into them being nice and saucy. Famous Dave's works out well for me here. I sear them on the grill, but don't like cooking them all the way on the grill as I haven't found a good way to do so without drying out the meat. So I coat them in BBQ sauce, and then drop them on a grill that's heated to 500+ degrees, sear each side, and then bring them back inside and put them in the oven in a bed of BBQ sauce.

I do the same with chicken as with ribs. But I pull the chicken out about 5-10 minutes before they're cooked all the way, wrap the breasts in strips of bacon and put them back in the oven. Once they're cooked, I grate sharp cheddar cheese across the top, and put it in the oven to melt. It's probably not the healthiest meal, but it's one of my favorites. Chicken goes very well bacon (I find that most meats go well with bacon...).
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Avocado.

Cut in half, remove pit, olive oil, salt/pepper.. face down on grill for about 10 minutes.

The outside is seared, but underneath it's pasty and warm. Excellent just eating stand alone, but I also like to use a butter knife to spread the roasted Avocado on a burger bun.

--

Fresh Trout.

Real fresh, as in just cleaned and prepped a day before. For prep, gut it, leave head on.. rub a handful of coarse salt and brown sugar everywhere in and out of body cavity. wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge over night. next day wrap in foil and grill with some fresh squeezed OJ and sage.. meat slides right off the bone/skin

--

Just a couple of my grillin' favorites..

My family loves it when I grill brisket burgers. That's right, brisket, not hamburger. My mom told me awhile back when she went to the grocery store she seen this man getting a ton of brisket meat ground up. She got to talking to him, and asked why he had so much. He explained that he worked for a resturant, and that's what they sell as their gormet hamburgers. It's cheaper than hamburger meat, and tastes better. So my mom went and got a pound and had the deli grind it up for her just to try. Those were the best hambugers I had ever tasted. Here is my recipe for the brisket burgers:

Serving size: 4

1 pound of ground brisket
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix the egg and seasonings together first, then add and mix the brisket meat, then gradually add the bread crumbs and mix it all together and create 4 patties. The burgers will come out juicy and delicious every time.

Note: Some grocery stores now sell brisket meat already ground up in a package instead of having the deli grind it up for you.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do, and I'd love to hear some feedback on if you tried it, and if you liked it.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    We usually grill the normal items like chicken breasts, fillets, and fish for my wife. However, I really like to grill fruits and vegetables on the grill, like corn on the cob, bell peppers, asparagus, pineable slices and much more.

Gyro sandwiches!

Take a pita pocket, brush both sides with melted butter. Put aside.

Make hamburgers as you normally would (lamb, pork, beef or turkey all work) but add gyro seasoning. I like a lot. I can't remember the name of the company that makes this but I get it at the health food store. It comes in a small box.

Grill burgers. When finished allow to sit for five minutes. In the meantime, put your pita pockets on the grill. You don't want to cook them to a crisp, just heat them up so they're soft and flexible.

Put the burger on the pita, top with chopped tomato (seeded plum tomatoes are best), sliced red onion and tzatziki (see below). Go nuts!

Here's a side salad to serve with the gyros.

Cucumber-tomato Salad Greek style:

Slice a cucumber thinly into rounds. Seed two plum tomatoes and chop roughly. For the dressing put a teaspoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of sugar and the juice of half a lemon into a bowl. Add dried dill, chopped fresh mint, garlic and a little onion powder. Stir well. Add the veggies and toss. You can serve this with crumbled feta cheese if you like.

Tzatziki:

Made with a base of yogurt (traditional) but if you prefer you can make it with sour cream.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

I'd suggest leaving out the vinegar. Do NOT forget the mint.

A wilted spinach salad is a nice accompaniment to this meal. I make it with sauteed red onion and toss with olive oil, a little apple cider vinegar and toasted sesame seeds.

Besides the obvious answer (almost any MEAT), one of my favorite things to "grill" is broccoli. Even if you don't like broccoli, you might like this.

I take a cake pan or a disposable aluminum pan and use kitchen shears to cut 2-3 heads of broccoli into big bite-size pieces. The outer pieces are usually the perfect size, then cut out the middle as a whole and cut it (from the stem out) into bite-size pieces from.

Drizzle olive oil over broccoli and shake the pan to get the pieces well covered.

Sprinkle spices. I usually use: minced garlic, kosher salt, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and a blend of other seasonings.

Put the pan on the grill and use tongs to shake it every 2-3 minutes. Let it cook until the tips of the broccoli start to turn black, typically about 10-15 minutes over a high heat. Serve immediately, as they loose their temperature and get soggy fairly quick.

To me, they're perfect when the outside has a slight crisp char and the inside has a very slight crisp still left (al dente).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    My son was at the house a couple weeks ago and he had me grill corn on the cob in the husk.

We just put it directly over a low flame, turning occasionally and taking it off when the husk was blackened on all sizes.

I was very surprised at how wonderful the corn was!

The other thing we regularly grill is asparagus. Dip in Olive Oil and sprinkle on some Cavenders and man oh man you've got some good stuff.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    For ribs, if you cook them on low temps, like 250 degrees for 2-3 hours, indirect heat, and put the sauce on for the last 20 minutes or so, the ribs should not be dry.

I have also wrapped the ribs in tinfoil, place a few onion slices underneath the ribs (inside the foil) along with a good rub. They should come out moist (again cook at 250 degrees for a few hours)

I tried a turkey breast last week, slow cooked it like the ribs above, marinated the turkey in a local vinegar based sauce for a few hours first, and smoked it on the grill using hickory chips in a tinfoil pouch, it came out pretty good.

Mmmm, yeah, I've done corn like that (although it's been years ago). The husk keeps the inside moist. Delicious!

I do ribs similar to that, too. I season, cover, and bake them in the oven for about 5-6 hours at 200 (until the meat starts to pull away from the bone), then glaze the sauce on to them on the grill for 15-20 minutes. I spray Pam into the grill under the ribs so it'll flame up and glaze them even better, and turn and coat them with sauce about 3 times per side.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; August 2nd, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    All meat obviously but I like to boil ribs for about 20 minutes. After that, throw a ton of bbq sauce on them and slap them on the grill. The meat falls off the bone...

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    oh yeah, I do corn like that, but I peel the husk back, butter and put on some pepper and place the husk back over the corn and grill for about 20 minutes. yummy!

Affiliate Manager
    I also boil brats in beer before I put them on the grill. Add some peppers and onions and it's tough to beat. Gotta love brats.

ABW Ambassador
    Hot dogs and hamburgers mostly. Then bratwurst and steak sometimes.

I want to learn how to make the perfect burger. My dad gave me a recipe I need to find and will read some of the replys.

I grill everything except rice and pasta!! Veggies are amazing on the grill!!

Sounds like you are having some very healthy choices with your wife's summer cooking!!

Hugs,
    Annie
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Portobella mushrooms, marinated and then grilled. Yum!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Mmmm, grilled 'shrooms. What do you marinate them in?

My father likes to marinade chicken breasts or thighs & legs in beer.

He'll add a couple of shots of hot sauce and some seasoning into the beer marinade where he'll let the chicken soak in the beer mixture for about 45 minutes prior to grilling the chicken -- it's great.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I get some local Greek dressing, but anything with a lot of vinegar should work out well.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    My father likes to marinade chicken breasts or thighs & legs in beer.

He'll add a couple of shots of hot sauce and some seasoning into the beer marinade where he'll let the chicken soak in the beer mixture for about 45 minutes prior to grilling the chicken -- it's great.
    Really...I tried marinating chicken in beer once and it dried them out pretty bad. How does he keep them moist?

Here's a tip for marinating anything. Put the marinade in a zip-lock plastic bag. Add the stuff you want to marinade. Squeeze as much air as you can out of the bag and close it tight. Mush the stuff inside around to get it to lie as flat as possible in the bag. Lay the bag flat in the fridge for an hour, then turn it over so the marinade gets to the other side. Let it sit for an hour.

Do not be stingy with the marinade.

Greek dressing, eh? That sounds tasty. Never had it. I just dress salads with lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. I think where salad is concerned simple is better. Thanks for the tip!

Let's not forget "Beer Can Chicken". Using a small stand, which conveniently has a center hole just big enough for a can of beer, place the neck of the chicken down over the stand and grill on indirect heat until done. Oh, if there happens to be a hole on the other end too, a small red potato usually serves to keep the moisture from escaping.

My beer can recipe usually includes the following (if usually means it changes every time I make it )

1/2 can of favorite beer of choice at that moment
    shot or 2 of coca cola
    misc available "chicken" seasonings from the pantry

Obviously your grill needs to be tall enough to the chicken to "stand on end". The result is a very moist chicken, with your favorite seasonings "steamed" into the meat from the inside.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast