Hi all-

I am quite new to this board and I have found plenty of great information. I first got involved because I was made aware that WhenU was targeting us for their pop-ups.

Anyway, we have a smoke shop where we would like to increase internet sales. The ecommerce software we use has a built in affiliate program but it is kind of lame.

A couple of questions.
    We would like to start an affiliate program. Should we purchase affiliate software, install it on our server and manage it ourselves, or should we go with a service such as Linkshare. I know there is good and bad for each choice but I was just looking for opinions and recommendations.

Our average sale is $90 and we would be paying a flat rate of 5%.

Thanks for your time.....
    Bill

hi bill,

does your product sell REAL GOOD? it will take more than 5% to attract affiliates

Vlad Lysik
    E-mail: affiliates@webceo.com
    http://www.webceo.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You might give www.shareasale.com a look-see. Their entry fee is very nominal, and they were the first network to take a no tolerance policy to parasitic activity.

They do not have the breadth of affiliates that cj or linkshare has, but you can attract affiliates by posting here and other affiliate-announcement locations on the net, and their cost is nothing compared to the other networks.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

I am kind of new at this so I do not know what the norm is. The product is cigars and accessories. The products do sell very well but as you would expect, it is a very targeted audience.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have experience selling cigars, however, I would think that would do well with an affiliate program, assuming the commissions are decent.

I too would recommend shareasale when starting out with an affiliate program.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

what would be your Cookie Duration?
    I can live with 5% if it's parasite free!

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Our average sale is $90 and we would be paying a flat rate of 5%. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>*HINT* I'd much prefer $9.00 to $4.50

Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

I promote two main programs at one of the Networks. The one that pays 5% earned me $185 in December, while the one that pays 10% earned me $80.

If it is a good product that works well with my site, and converts well, I would promote it even if the commission is only 5%.

If he were to start at 10% to attract affiliates, and later had to lower it to the 5% he can honestly afford, all he'd do is alienate the affiliates he attracted with 10%. Better to start at 5% and pay a bonus for high-volume producers once the affiliates prove themselves.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

To be honest with you, I would like to give everyone $25 per sale but that is just not going to happen. Because of the nature of the product, 5% and maybe up to 7% is reasonable. The markup on cigars is fairly small.

The conversion rate for targeted customers should be very high as this is a specialized market.

The whole idea behind this thread was to find out if I should expend the energy to put together an affiliate program. Where the users on this board participate in them, I though you would be the best resource. So far, I get mixed feelings.

Bivin,

Don't forget to calculate in the network commission fees on each transaction. So if you pay 5% to affiliates in essence you'll end up paying around 7%.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

Yeah don't forget the network fees and stuff, I am a merchant at shareasale so If you have any questions feel free to contact me(Private message me) Anyway For cigars and Stuff I would pay a commission of at least 7% which in cash would be around 9% with fees and stuff. Anyway When you sign up for shareasale, let me know, I'll sign up :0). Also you may want to set up affiliate bonuses or contests to attract affiliates.

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Bill,

I agree with the others. If you decide not to go with an inhouse program. I would suggest checking out ShareaSale. They have a forrum here at ABW where you can make contact with the owner of the company. JMO of course!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread