Creating a company run from home
    Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks,

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    It depends on what country and state you are in. But for affiliate programs you dont need to be a business or incorporated although things here are quite professional sometimes.

And most businesses dont follow all the rules especially when they are new.

I moved this Midnight Cafe so it can get more replies. Andbeyond is right, it depends on what state you're in. You should either talk to an accountant, about the benefits and procedure, or try searching the net using your state in the search to see what information you can find.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by theodorep
    Hi,

I am looking to incorporate a new business from home, is it possible to use a home address as the registered office address? Additionally as a way of cutting costs etc do I actually have to appoint a company secretary?

Thanks,
    Sure I use my home address, you can be the pres and secretary

CPA Network Rep
    I had a home/office set up as a Corporation here in Pennsylvania. But not sure the rules in other states. Although I can't see why a home can't also be a place of business, at least in the US.

Don't forget to write off a portion of your rent/mortgage as a business expense because part of your home will serve as an office.

The only thing I didn't like about that arrangement was that my home/business address was on a busy street in a popular section of town. So people would be like "I drive past your 'business' all the time. It looks like a regular house on X Street". It was kind of embarrassing sometimes!

ABW Ambassador
    Check out http://www.mbe.com

Using a home address raises some security issues - imo

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    You can get some ideas of what can be done and reasons to incorporate here: http://www.amerilawyer.com/sevenreasons.htm#2

Suggestion would be to seek and get advice from a good CPA and attorney in your own area first.

It does depend on the state. In some states you yourself can be both the director, and the secretary... And yes, I believe in any state you can have your home address listed as the registered office of the company.

Geno

Just fyi, if you end up forming an LLC your title will not be President. Member, Managing Member, Manager and a few others are acceptable titles.

you can also check out companies like www.bizfilings.com and www.incorporatesbusiness.com . They both have great info on their sites as well as very helpful staff.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Incorporating as an LLC ( Limited Liability Corp. ) and using your home address has a ton of benefits.

Read up on LLCs -

The home address will allow you to write off everything from driving up in your driveway, in the front door and to your home office. Also, entertaining in your home, the coffee, phones, pooter, fax etc. - All write offs.

The Secretary can be anyone you want it to be. Wife. GF. Husband. BFF - Whatever.

Lot's of other benefits from the gov't for home / internet based businesses.

you might want to read a couple business start-up books by Nolo...I have at least 3 on my shelf and highly recommend them.

http://nolo.com/

you should also talk to an accountant (and possibly a lawyer) about your plans. it will cost you some $, but could save you in the end.

Contact your local SCORE office (retired professionals) as well as your local SBA office to help wtih these questinos for free!

Contact an accountant about any deductions,etc. The IRS has VERY STRICT requirements about deducting a home office. I have a business run entirely from home and yet my office still does not qualify for a home office deduction according to the IRS.

I can guide you to a good small business newsletter, the IRS even ahs a small business newsletter, but I'm not sure of the fourm rules regarding posting links, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneMarie
    Contact your local SCORE office (retired professionals) as well as your local SBA office to help wtih these questinos for free!

Contact an accountant about any deductions,etc. The IRS has VERY STRICT requirements about deducting a home office. I have a business run entirely from home and yet my office still does not qualify for a home office deduction according to the IRS.

I can guide you to a good small business newsletter, the IRS even ahs a small business newsletter, but I'm not sure of the fourm rules regarding posting links, etc...
    If you work from home you should be careful about taking the home office deduction...but if you do in fact work from home, and have a home office...you should probably take the deduction. Lots of people fear the IRS, but if you're home office is legit, you've probably shouldn't worry. (your accountant should help determine if its legit)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There are a lot of other issues involved here, many of which have previously been discussed. You should do a search to find some of these older threads.

Basically, rules as to incorporation differ by state, and such state rules must be followed to the letter to be able to benefit from the tax and liabiiity benefits incorporation may provide.

Another issue is that of local zoning laws. They will determine what type of business, if any, may legally be conducted in a residentialy-zoned area. It's one thing to do affiliate marketing on your computer, where there is no disruption in the neighborhood, and no one need even know what you are doing. But you do not state if this is the type of business you will be conducting. It is something far different to have a home business where customers or clients come to your home, or merchandise is warehoused there.

As to the home-office deduction, it is also important to understand, as far as a new business is concerned, that you can only deduct home office expenses if your business makes a profit.

As the others here have stated, you really need to obtain legal advise, whether from an attorney, or if not, from definitive publications, to determine what is the correct business organization for your circumstances, how to properly set up and maintain that organization, and what address should be used. Keep in mind, as I said before, laws regulating corporations vary from state to state, and zoning laws from neighborhood to neighborhood.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread