Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can we correct Errors in PHP descriptions?
    No matter what CHARSET I use on a page, I get bad output in descriptions.
    And if I leave CHARSET off, it's even worse.

charset=ISO-8859-1 is the only one that will even Validate At All and that still comes out looking funny and the report says -
    non SGML character number 130.
    PDA to your cell phone via Bluetooth®,

non SGML character number 132.
    No matter where you are. You don’t

I think there's a SGML 131 somewhere too.

No one else is complaining about this, so it must be ME. What am I doing wrong that no one else is. This is driving me nutz as some of the pages with these kind of errors really look bad.

I wrote for support on these a couple of weeks ago .. so thought I'd better ask here instead

Thanks!

I've seen a few very strange characters in the descriptions too ... they seem to come directly from the merchant's datafeed ... I know I've had to edit a few of those to remove them. It would be great if Popshops could automatically validate the descriptions and replace dodgy characters and remove html code ... that's another thing that irritates me in datafeeds.

Sue.

Sue .. are you saying you edited them in the datafeed or somewhere in PopShops? If in PopShops, how did you do it? There should be something somehow in their "SEO Rules" but I see no way.

Thanks a lot for letting me know I'm Not the only one afterall!

When I've edited them it was when I was using the datafeeds directly. But, if you go into the customise tab in the shop management, you can click on an item description and edit it there. It's very useful for that but won't work on autofeed generated pages.

Sue.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Hi KariBon, Hi Sue,

We do attempt to clear out the variety of strange character sets merchants place into their feeds. Often such character sets come from the merchant pulling data directly from their inventory control program and have very little to do with it being appropriate to display to the consumer.

You can edit any descriptions that we miss directly in the PopShops interface by editing the product description manually OR using the search and replace tools.

KariBon, will forward your description to my engineers to see if there are PHP editing suggestions they have (although we always recommend using the resources available in the tool set than trying to perform custom edits).
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

I just joined PopShops and really like the concept and ease of use.

Speaking of strange characters showing up, I keep seeing HTML code showing up in my Wal-Mart product descriptions. It happens both in PHP and HTML code. Any solutions, or is this just a fluke with the merchant?

Thanks,

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by dcgiants
    I just joined PopShops and really like the concept and ease of use.

Speaking of strange characters showing up, I keep seeing HTML code showing up in my Wal-Mart product descriptions. It happens both in PHP and HTML code. Any solutions, or is this just a fluke with the merchant?

Thanks,

Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the compliment

In the HTML code case it is a merchant-centric issue. When we notice it, especially if it is prevalent we let the merchant AM know.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Angel ..re : >You can edit any descriptions that we miss directly in the PopShops interface by editing the product description manually OR using the search and replace tools.<

I was looking for Search and Replace to get rid of the bad code and can't find it PopShops. Do you mean use CTL+F ?

Thanks for your reply .. I'll probably love this as soon as I get my head around it more!

OH .. forgot to ask, How do you Change a name in the Manage Shops Screen?
    I turn off all POP-up blockers, click and click, and nothing happens to let me change a name.

These problems I was having were on Win XP with IE7 so I went to a PC here with Win ME and IE6 and there's a difference! The interface is a little different on both too .. and I didn't see that before about editing the description by just Clicking in that field! But when I got impatient and clicked Save a second time, it wiped the description out completely!

( Sue .. thanks for giving me that info earlier .. I didn't see it because of the posts after yours.)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Djambazov
    In the HTML code case it is a merchant-centric issue. When we notice it, especially if it is prevalent we let the merchant AM know.
    BIG ALERT -- I just spent some time building an autofeed page using the Denver Fabric merchant (SAS) -- and all their descriptions are filled with HTML.

I suppose there's no way to edit out all that HTML using the "Pro" level membership, is there? I mean, I know I can edit individual descriptions, but obviously not all the descriptions in their feed??

This really is something which ought to be available if there's any way your PHP gurus can do it -- or there ought to be some way to clean it up before it becomes available to us little old popshops customers?
    Generate more fake news.

Back where Angel wrote >You can edit any descriptions that we miss directly in the PopShops interface by editing the product description manually OR using the search and replace tools. <

I still can't find the Search and Replace Tools! Where Are They??? I'm using the Enterprise version.

Thanks.

In the Customize tab there is a button called "SEO tools". That's where you can search and replace.

- JessieJ

I Have been in the SEO tools many times and did make some changes in there such as when a certain word was used too much right next to the Image, I created a thing to change it to a * and named the Rule "redundant" ... but I honestly still see nothing that actually says "Search and Replace" ...

Don't know what to say except I must be dimwitted or my computer is.

Thanks anyway.

Hi KariBon,

Maybe it is just a matter of semantics. When you go into the SEO Rules screen there is a drop down menu under "Action". In that drop down menu there is an option called "replace keyword or phrase". If you make that your selection and then in the subsequent drop down menu under "In" you make sure that "Everything" is selected. It will then replace any term you have under "Keyword".

I hope that helps.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Angry
    Thanks, Angel. It was just semantics So I've been using it all along and didn't even know it!

We can certainly do a much better job with the help system and making some of these features more obvious!

JessieJ

Can you Make VISITED Links Change Color ?
    I've tried everything .. put the link codes on the page instead of depending on my own style sheet ... then tried your HTML output, tried a few things I could think of doing, and it wouldn't do it there either.

Is there any chance you would some day put that in the Edit Styles section? I tried doing it in SEO Rules but couldn't figure out a way to do it there.

Not having a visited link on a page is really aggravating .. especiallly when there are a lot of links. You don't know what you've already seen, end up clicking somthing again and then again, and when I'm shopping on a page like that I always eventually get sick of doing that and go somewhere else.

Has anyone been able to fix this if PopShop "guys" don't answer?

Thanks!!

Hi Karibon,

Sorry for your frustration.

That functionality is not something we have automated within the current tools. You can modify how links display on your site after being clicked using CSS generated rules.

I will place that as a feature request for upcoming versions of PopShops.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

Hi Angel .. Do you mean there is a place on PopShops that is CSS generated Rules, as there is SEO Tools? I've been doing everything with CSS and trying putting some Styles right on the page, also, and nothing makes the links change colors.

Could you elaborate ... ? I've been on one page all day trying to get the links to change, and nothing happens. Is it something I never thought of and will kick myself to China when someone gives me the solution to this.

About visited links changing colors, Again! I Popped In a page as HTML, added an a.grouup called "colors" with a.link, a.visited, a.active, and a.hover to your Style ... then manually changed the <a target="_self" to <a class="colors" .. and HOVER worked, but not the others so links still wont change colors. The fact that Hover worked made me think I'm on the right track. Are you going to put that feature in, or tell me something to edit in Your style section?

I know I'm not the only one who won't stay on a page that doesn't let you navigate to where you haven't been instead of clicking the same darn link over and over again.

I'd really, really appreciate an answer to this.

KariBon,
    Can you ping me at support@popshops.com? I have a CSS hack that I can send you if you promise not to tell Dan.

JessieJ

KariBon,

I see this is a fairly old thread, but the ORDER of the CSS definitions has to be right for all the definitions to take effect. The order should be:

link ~ visited ~ hover ~ active

I wondered if this might have been tripping you up. By now though I'm sure it's all been worked out, or I hope so.

Joyaz .. thanks but no, I tried that way. It's in the PopShops style code and I couldn't get that edited. The example Jessie gave me in the "hack" was for how to change the description, not the Link colors. I'm giving up on this!

But thanks for replying to me anyway!

Hey guys,
    This is what Dan said to do if you want to change the visited link color:

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
    body #PopShop{shop_wrapper_id} a:visited {color:YOURCOLOR}
    body #PopShop{shop_wrapper_id} a:hover {color:YOURCOLOR}
    </style>

A couple ways to find the shop_wrapper_id:
    1.View the page source and look for it in the styles.
    2. Mouse over a product link. The number directly after the word "redirect" is the shop_wrapper_id.

JessieJ

Hi Jessie .... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works!! and was so Simple!

All those Exclamation marks because I'm estatic about how easy it turned out to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast