ABW Ambassador
    Blog before main site, good/bad idea?
    I'm building a website, which I hope to have live by the end of the month.. and one section on the main page, I plan to post links to recent articles I find online from news sources relative to my content.

I was thinking of just updating that manually, but it could work with blogger (be easier too). And I've read people saying SE's like blogs at the moment.

So, would it be good to put up a temporary but professional looking blog (mentioning a coming soon for main site), but while also posting the links (and brief description) to the articles I come across?

I'm thinking this could only benefit me (or have no effect) or could this end up hurting me?

Also thinking, I could be asking for feedback and comments from others, on what they would like to see on the website when it's finished. Might help build a following, because some people can like to be part of something in that way. And could give updates to these people on the blog too.. but then I'd be mixing those updates with the news articles, which might be bad?! Unless you can have two blogs on the same page.. I think I'm over thinking again, LOL.

Anyway.. thanks for reading and any thoughts, comments, etc would be appreciated.

One of my sites uses Word Press and RSS feeds. The news is updated via RSS and Word Press has an internal program that insures this happens. I had been using a Cron, but that is no longer needed.

If you haven't considered Word Press, it might be worth the time and energy!

ABW Ambassador
    With Word Press, could I have the RSS feed, and post updates on another part if people actually take an interest in the website's development? I know that might be unlikely, but always good to have the option.

And thanks for the reply.

I believe you can. I have people writing articles on my site and the feeds continue. Word Press is quite flexible.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    And could give updates to these people on the blog too.. but then I'd be mixing those updates with the news articles, which might be bad?! Unless you can have two blogs on the same page..
    You could put the updates into a seperate category on the same blog.

With categorization, all the entries still first appear on the main page (up to the number you specify to show), but readers can also click a link to the category to see just the posts in that category.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks again Dmoore.

Leader -> Been a couple of years since I used blogger, and don't remember that feature. So I'll have to catch that out. Thanks.

And could this be beneficial to do? Thinking it might help my SERP when the site is finished if I got started now, instead of just popping up the finished site later on?

Leader -> Been a couple of years since I used blogger, and don't remember that feature. So I'll have to catch that out. Thanks.
    I don't know if blogger has it. I use WordPress software, on my own hosting. With that, I can add categories in the backend, and then when I post, I just select the one(s) I want the post to be filed under.

I would think this could help SEO for the posts, to a point. If there are a ton of widely varying categories, the effect will probably be diluted. And, some engines care more about categorization than others.

I don't know how an attached blog'll affect SEO of a regular site. But the bots spider blogs all the time, and posts tend to get seen. Although I don't have much luck getting blog posts to show under major keywords, they do well at picking up the long tail. Just remember to write naturally (as opposed to using the more SEOful, keyword-repetitive style) if you want to aim for long-tails, so the engines can snag lots of more-offbeat phrases out of the content that way.

And, sometimes posts won't show up in the main engine at all, but do appear in the blog search. People actually use G's blog-only search, so while it's not nearly as good as a main-index #1, it can bring some traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, for the articles I'd be linking too, they would all be related to the site's content, once it is up and running, and the brief description would be naturally written and not an attempt to force keywords on to the page. The main goal of that, would be to add more value to the site for visitors and hopefully make the SE's happier since the site would be updated more. Though if I only get the former, and it doesn't hurt the SERP, then I'd be happy with that.

The other part of the blog, the "development of the website" wouldn't be for keywords, just another attempt to make the site more sticky for return visits. But as you mentioned, that might dilute any effect the content article posts have?
    And, sometimes posts won't show up in the main engine at all, but do appear in the blog search.
    Now that somewhat scares me. Does that mean, if I am blogging on the main page of the site, it may not show up on some searches?

Thanks for the reply!

Now that somewhat scares me. Does that mean, if I am blogging on the main page of the site, it may not show up on some searches?
    Yep. Content and keyword-ratios on the main page of a blog constantly change as you put in new posts. Bots read what is there--if the keyphrase disappears or is pushed far downwards by new posts that don't mention it, the algo will think the page isn't relevant to that word anymore. So, the exact SERPs for a blog are a lot more changeable than for a static site.

For instance, on one blog I complained about GeekSquad for a few posts. For several weeks, I had rank under that. Then the saga ended, and I started to write about other things. Now I don't appear under "GeekSquad sucks" anymore, but I'm showing under the more recent topics.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, thank you, that does make sense.

So it might be good to do to this till I have the site finished. I'm not planning on any ads till then, anyway. Then once I have the site finished, the blog entries will be more about content/keywords than website news and updates to keep the ratio up!

Thumbs up Seo
    You should definately go for it! And you are right about search engines liking blogs. The reason is that search engines like blogs because they are constantly being updated with new information. If you have not decided on a blog platform yet, Wordpress and Blogger offer a lot of functionality, and in many opinions, they're the best. Wordpress has a free version in addition to using your own domain like Leader mentioned. Your idea on offering a RSS feed of relevant new is a very good idea too - sure to receive a few more clicks to your blog. From what you have mentioned, I think you are surely on the right track, and should find success!
    Last edited by stellarseller; August 6th, 2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: mispelled word

ABW Ambassador
    I'll look into Wordpress! Although, the RSS feed, guess I'll have to figure out how those work too. While I know having it done automatically can save time, I'm thinking of doing it manually (so would be posted in blog), from a few different news websites, so I can pick which articles fit best and tailor the brief description in my own words. Which, same difference I believe, just more work, LOL.

Thank ya for the response! Y'all here are definitely helping me get on that right track.

Thumbs up
    If you are going with wordpress, look for the RSS news feed as a "widget" to add to your side panel. Some themes have two side panels. In choosing a theme, be sure to get a theme that has side bars so you can add widgets and other cool stuff.

Thumbs up
    I would also like to add that the widget that offer text is the one that you want. This way, any html you add such as RSS can be added into the text area. You will figure it out once you get going. Wordpress offers a wiki, so use that to get some detailed instructions. Good luck! Be sure to post your blog url so we can check it out.

ABW Ambassador
    You totally lost me, LOL. Although I think it would make more sense once I try using Wordpress, so no need to explain further (yet lol). Quick question, you are mentioning themes, does one have to use a theme or template they create, or can you use your own site design?

Thanks again!

You can use themes that have already been made or design your own. I suggest starting with a theme that kind of looks like your site and then customizing it from there. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need specific help, I've used wordpress a lot.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you for the offer.

I do have a question about how Wordpress works. When it comes to designing the website, would you do that on your desk top, or you'd be designing it on your host server? It sounds like it could be the later.

Oh, I've also been reading on here about Joomla and Drupal, seems people here really like them. Could those also be useful to me, or be better to stick with Wordpress in your opinion?

Thanks!

As for designing, wordpress uses both. I code on my desktop, then check the results on the web.

As for other CMS systems like Joomla or Drupal, they all have their ups and downs. I like wordpress because it is easy to use and it is great for blog type sites, but the others have their fans and I'm sure are great.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you once again.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread