New Program - Software to Manage?
    Hello. This is my first post on ABW, but have been reading it for a while now -- great resource! My company is considering launching a new affiliate program. We've been selling our products online (and offline) for some time now and we have a lot of information on conversions, what works / what doesn't, etc.

Question #1: How should we think about (A) signing on to an existing platform like ShareASale, CJ, LinkShare, etc.; or (B) developing an in-house solution. The pro's of using an existing platform are pretty clear... don't re-invent the wheel, affiliates already know / trust, etc. But if we were to develop a customized in-house platform, we could develop it in a way that gave better tools, data, resources to affiliates... which might get them more excited about the program / excited about selling. What would affiliates like more?

Question #2: If your answer to #1 above is [A] (i.e. go with existing), what are the best networks / platforms to consider? I've heard ShareASale is quite good.

Thanks in advance!

Hi JC,
    This is maybe too late now. I suggest you look internally as well to see what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Also, most of the better tracking systems (hosted or scripts) cover tools that the affiliates have been asking for over the years.

As for having data on what is selling and conversions etc. I applaud you - most merchants I know are jumping in too early and w/o that data.
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by asr_guy
    This is maybe too late now.
    Not at all! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write back.

Also, most of the better tracking systems (hosted or scripts) cover tools that the affiliates have been asking for over the years.
    We're close to making a decision... we're kind of leaning toward MyAP9 - they're a bit more expensive, but we like the ability to integrate a little closer with our site / program, like some of the linking technologies (especially the direct links because if we ever change platforms, hopefully it will make things easier for our affiliates), and like the reporting we can get (and the ability for sub ID's for affiliates).

As for having data on what is selling and conversions etc. I applaud you - most merchants I know are jumping in too early and w/o that data.
    What would you (ideal world) want to see before deciding to spend time / money on a new merchant?

Thanks again for the feedback!

http and a telephoto
    If you are new, going with a network like Shareasale solves some of the "trust" issues involved with getting affiliates on board. Search the forums for info on MyAp and you will see not much is positive lately. They are an inhouse solution and pretend to be a network, and they are not.

Just my two cents
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The MyAP9 platform seems good from a features standpoint, but I agree that Think seems to have shot themselves in the foot with a lot of the things they've done recently to upset affiliates & merchants.

I agree with Loxly on this. My recommendation for you would be to start with an established and well-respected network. Starting your affiliate program with an in-house solution will be a challenge, IMO because 1) it will be difficult to recuit affiliates without a network base to start from and 2) affiliates are wary of in-house networks without any tenure. Tracking issues are always questioned up front. You would avoid that if you used a good network instead.

Avanquest- do you think of MyAP an "in-house" solution? I've thought of them more as a network (not as well liked as SAS perhaps).

All- most of the negative postings re: Kowabunga seem focused on (1) the change/increase in fee structure which alienated merchants (problem for merchant); (2) some merchants having lack of responsiveness from MyAP customer service (problem for merchant); and (3) affiliates getting unwanted emails from Kowabunga because they're enrolled in MyAP merchants (problem for affiliate).

I agree SAS is a terrific network -- just curious if there are other reasons (from an affiliates perspective) that MyAP is disliked?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread