Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    What hotels do you stay at when traveling?
    I know if you go to Vegas or somewhere like that, where you stay would be different compared to just travelling down the interstate, pulling off an exit. That's what I'm wondering. You're tired driving, want to get a hotel for the night, exit and look for? Is there one you always stay at, one you'll never stay at again etc.

ABW Ambassador
    We usually stay at a Motel 6, they have good rates and most have a free breakfast in the morning. If they aren't in the area a Red Roof Inn will do (usually for the same reason).

If we are going to be in an area for a week or so then I (I'm always the one who goes online) try to find a room with a "Kitchen area" so we can eat some of our meals in.

We like the Comfort Suites, Comfort Inns, Holiday Express, and Hamptons. Usually a good experience, nice room, priced between $65 - $120, depending on where you are. They usually put out a decent hot breakfast, too, which can save you $20 even if there are just 2 of you. Wireless is usually in the room and free, which is a must for us and most have at least a mini-fridge and a microwave in the room.

When I traveled frequently for business, we liked the Marriots, the Wyndhams, etc., but I had a nice expense account then and it's just not worth the extra money when we're just dinking around on a road trip.

We've discovered that you can have a bad experience at any of them if the stars are aligned just so, but make an effort to get it corrected or take advantage of the guarantee and they'll usually try to make it right.

I always research ahead of time and try to find a good value for what I need. Tripadvisor, Expedia, and other sites are good for reading reviews of hotels. Last week we stayed a few nights at a Comfort Inn near Boston that I booked directly through the hotel's website because I wanted to stay there specifically. Tomorrow night we're staying in a Hilton in Quebec that I got through Priceline (for less than the Comfort Inn....) because any hotel of that class in that area would have been okay for us. I've never just driven to an exit and looked for a hotel that way.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If I am staying for a night, I usually look at the coupon book along the interstate or gas station. As long as the beds are clean and it's a safe area (you want to have your car with tires on them to continue on your trip), I can't really whine. Stay with the Motel 6, Super8 or howard Johnson's as a first priority.

If it is pre planned, priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, kayak.com <they lack in hotel pricing, but their flight tool rocks!>.

For a Kitchen area as aunt lily mentioned, check out www.VBRO.com or www.extraholidays.com. I have no connection with VBRO and ExtraHolidays is another dept of Wyndham that does resort rentals. I know they exist, no affilaite program there. Or if not, check out www.craigslist.com > Vacation Rentals
    Last edited by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe; August 6th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    When I used to travel a fair amount years ago, my first choices in most areas (really, except for major cities that had interesting and/or unique places, like Vegas, or New York, San Francisco, etc.) were Best Western and Hyatt. The two chains with terrible experiences that I've vowed to never step foot in again, were Ramada and Radisson. I've "pulled off" and stayed at places like Comfort Inn, and they've always been fine. Most Best Westerns also have free breakfasts, though they vary from tang and celophane-packaged "pastry", to eggs, sausage, pancakes, etc.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Internet Cowboy
    I like Courtyard by Marriott. They are nicer than cheaper hotels and usually are right around a hundred bucks. We found one right by the airport in Dallas the night before we left for Summit for $69. I loved that!
    Being somewhat picky about beds and showers, I have never had a bad night at a Courtyard.
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once in Meridian Mississippi and that was a nice room, but the hotel was only a month old. It's all about how nice the room is when the hotel is 20+ years old.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I like Courtyard by Marriott. They are nicer than cheaper hotels and usually are right around a hundred bucks. We found one right by the airport in Dallas the night before we left for Summit for $69. I loved that!
    Being somewhat picky about beds and showers, I have never had a bad night at a Courtyard.
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once in Meridian Mississippi and that was a nice room, but the hotel was only a month old. It's all about how nice the room is when the hotel is 20+ years old.
    I have never had a bad experience at a Courtyard either. I've stayed at them pretty frequently. The last time was two years ago. A friend had booked us into a Days Inn on a trip to a convention. One look at the room and the bathroom and we were on the phone to the nearest Courtyard. Despite the town being inundated for the convention, we got a great rate. The accomodations were first rate. After walking around all day, going to sleep in those Courtyard beds were HEAVEN. And they had free hi-speed internet! The Days Inn SAID they had hi-speed internet, but it was really dialup that you had to use in the lobby on their computers... that weren't working. I'm pretty sure I'll avoid Days Inn in the future. The difference between the Courtyard and Days Inn was... night and day. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I know if you go to Vegas or somewhere like that, where you stay would be different compared to just travelling down the interstate, pulling off an exit. That's what I'm wondering. You're tired driving, want to get a hotel for the night, exit and look for? Is there one you always stay at, one you'll never stay at again etc.
    Interesting question Trust. As this old e-mind read it, it sounded to me like market research for a campaign aimed perhaps at commuters who have not pre-planned stays at specific locations?

When I am driving long distance (like to FL every Jan) I look for the brand name middle priced chains, and of course wireless internet is a must. Myself, I avoid Red Lion, Ramada, M-6, HJ, DAys Inn, and a host of no names that resemble run down truck stop flops. Past experience in different locations did not give me an urge to come back.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Interesting question Trust. As this old e-mind read it, it sounded to me like market research for a campaign aimed perhaps at commuters who have not pre-planned stays at specific locations?

When I am driving long distance (like to FL every Jan) I look for the brand name middle priced chains, and of course wireless internet is a must. Myself, I avoid Red Lion, Ramada, M-6, HJ, DAys Inn, and a host of no names that resemble run down truck stop flops. Past experience in different locations did not give me an urge to come back.
    I stayed in a no name motel once on a drive to a fishing trip. It was easily the worst place I've ever stayed. There were dead bugs on the bed spread and live ones in the bathroom. The room was old, musty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. I don't want to know what those stains on the floor were from. Unfortunately, we were in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much else around. I think we should've just slept in the car at a rest stop.

After that experience, I tend to stick to a few brands that I've had good experiences with, even if I have to pay a bit more or go a little out of my way.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I liked the Super 8 in downtown Atlanta and the courtyard there also. Much cheaper than the expensive hotels and free breakfast (which I have never made)

ABW Ambassador
    "As this old e-mind read it, it sounded to me like market research for a campaign aimed perhaps at commuters who have not pre-planned stays at specific locations?"

No, just was curious as I plan on doing some more traveling shortly and was always wondering what people's favorite hotel/motel chains were. If it's a place I plan to stay a few days, I'll book a hotel in advance or if it's somewhere where I have family or friends, stay there. If it's more just driving from one place to another that takes longer than a day, I usually just drive until I'm done for that day and take the nearest exit. My last trip as I was on my way home from visiting my parents in Orlando, it was late, 2AM, raining and I was dead tired so I just picked the first one. Happened to be more residential hotel I think, more expensive than I was planning and had a nice big jacuzzi which I didn't use I need to pay more attention to the ones I stay at and like for future reference. I know I've had good experiences with Ramada Limited, Holiday Inn Express, I think Comfort Inns and I think it might have been a Comfort Suite that had that jacuzzi.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep, Holiday Inns are a standby, Marriot Courtyard, and "some" best westerns. But hey, at Motel 6, they'll keep the light on for ya - and at check in you get a key and a can of Raid.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I always plan my travel in advance. It's probably been 10+ years since I've just picked a hotel driving down the road. You pay way too much that way and usually get a pretty lousy hotel.

I check a variety of travel sites and often bid on Priceline (where you can often get a 3-4 star hotel for $40-$50 almost anywhere except New York). For instance, I have upcoming trips to Chicago (Hyatt Woodfield, $50/night) and St. Louis (Doubletree Westport, $42/night) through Priceline. I also check Starwood (Sheraton, etc.) since I get tons of SPG points with my Starwood Amex. I'm staying at the Four Points Ventura Harbor for 3-4,000 points per night during CJU.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Marriot Courtyards are great and so is Residence Inn. Marriots are generally very nice and the breakfast buffets are fabulous!

We had one horrible experience I hope never to repeat. We drove from Key West to Miami several years back. We were too early for our flight from Miami, so we looked at the airport "ads" for a nearby place to catch a nap. You know those kiosks with phones you can call from the baggage claim?

Miami airport is bad enough, but we called Red Roof Inn and they had a room and they were nearby. We used to love Red Roof Inn here in the Midwest when the kids were small and we needed inexpensive but clean. Anyway - we went there in the middle of the night intending to sleep until dawn and head back to the airport.

The guy in drag that was strolling the sidewalk should have tipped us off, but we were sleep deprived and anxious. Our room was so horrible I couldn't set my bag on the floor or the bed and the more we looked around the more we felt like we might be part of a crime scene before we checked out.

I can still remember trying to work out how to get back to our car and out of there without incident. I felt like saying "Cover me" while I ducked and ran.

ABW Ambassador
    the cheapest value for money and closest one (to my destination) -incl. the commissions gained ;-) -

I like Westin, but will stay at Courtyard by Marriott, or Wingate or someplace else if I need to.
    I hate holiday inn express... well at least the one near the houston airport, it was smelly and yucky.

Tax Paying Member
    Hilton Garden Inn or equivalent for major trips.
    Short trips.......Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express are usually good.

In the past I used La Quinta a lot..........Found a real rat trap once in ??????? I walked away from the room. It was the only bad La Quinta that I had seen but I have trouble stopping since. I know that all chains can have a lemon.

Years ago I used Red Roof a lot but one night in ?????? two policemen wanted entry to my room. Seems that they were raiding next door and did not want anyone escaping through the walls. The badges also did not ask me to leave.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I used to just sleep in my car, but nwo that I'm older, with occasional back issues, I try to stay at a Motel 6 because they leave the light on for me. I will never stay at a super 8 again...too many bad, bad experiences.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I hate booking in advance and avoid it as much as possible! I avoid deadlines all year, and I'm certainly not going to make them for myself on a vacation. This has led to some adventures on occasion, but to me it's worth it.

For a cheap overnight stay I like the Knight's Inn. They're pretty old now, but most of 'em are decently clean, and the walls are thick enough that I'm not jarred up at dawn by idiots herding their families out at inhumane hours. And, it's all 1-story buildings. Good for my knees. And there's often an outdoor pool. Not that I'm usually stopping before the pool's long shut, but the fact that there IS one, that isn't algae-covered, at a $30 place is always an amazement to me.

I avoid the Motel Sicks and the Stupor 8s. The fact that I have those names for them lets you know what I think. I always thought it was just bias from all the BAD family "vacations" as a kid where I was stuck at 'em, but I made the mistake last year of staying at a Motel Sicks again...and it was WORSE than I remembered! This one wasn't just cheap...the aircon smelled like something died in it, or worse (and that was the 2nd set of rooms--first attempt, the aircon didn't work at all), and on top of that, there was a thriving market going on for..."ladies of pleasure." All night, and into the day. I didn't dare leave my door open while I smoked like I usually would!

The Red Roof Inn is plain-out no good for anyone who wants a decent amount of sleep and knows the definition of the word "vacation." Their walls are tissue-thin, the maid carts sound like cement trucks going by under the window--and they start that cacophony up between 6 and 7AM! HELLLOOOOO, I am on VACATION here dammit!!!

And it's worse upstairs. The racket really resonates through that upper walkway. Speaking of "upstairs..." RRI has no elevators!

For when I get to my destination and want to stay awhile:
    Often I choose a Holiday Inn. Fairfield Inn and Hampton Inn are good too, but Holiday Inns have the extended checkout time, which I ALWAYS use when I stay there. Some other motels have that, too, at some locations, sometimes--but at H.I. I can count on it. Plus, H.I. knows what truly "extended" is: Some go as late as 3PM, and 1PM is the earliest I've seen them call "extended."

As for the more expensive ones (Marriott's regular version, etc.), they don't thrill me enough to justify the cost. The extra amenities they have usually aren't what I'd use anyway. Plus, the more expensive they are, the snootier they act. Suddenly they act like they're doing you a favor instead of the other way around! Bah on that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm not jarred up at dawn by idiots herding their families out at inhumane hours."

I made the mistake last time of not getting another room when the one I got was right next to the elevator. I'm usually up late so I was trying to fall asleep around 2AM while people were up way too early at 5AM leaving. It was like 10 minutes here and there kind of sleep.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    For many years, until about five years ago, Mrs. Hound and I used to go to San Francisco quite often, and for a few years we frequently stayed at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf, which was a middle-rung Hyatt, nicer than some, not nearly as nice as the Park Hyatt or Hyatt Regency.

On one trip, we arrived rather late, and were very tired after the 7 hour drive. When we went to check in, we were told they were over-booked and had no room for us for that night. Expecting the worst, and a nasty argument, this is what they did for us. They gave us a couple of free drinks, while they lined up a limo to take us to the Park Hyatt, where they gave us a free night at a much fancier hotel and in a really nice room. The next morning, a limo took us back to the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf, and they bought us breakfast.

Real classy outfit.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

hyatt does make it right but it's a bit pricey.
    Especially in NYC. A room can run $500 if the demand is there
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One thing I cannot stand is a hotel that's not clean or is shabby. I've never had a bad experience at a Marriott so that's always my first choice. Hyatt is nice, too although pricier. I also like hotels with suites if I'm going to stay for a while.

When travelling with dogs I stay at Holiday Inn or Howard Johnson's which rarely disappoint in the cleanliness category.

I would never use a jacuzzi in a hotel. You never know who's been in them and how well they're cleaned between visitors. They're charming little breeding grounds for fungi and bacteria.

I am shocked not to see anything about the Hampton Inn. Boy, for a quick night over, that is one of my favorites. It reminds me of some of the better hotels I have stayed at but a fraction of the cost, and ooooooh myyy goooddd ... the beds are some of the best I have slept one, at least in comparison to the others in this discussion. Granted it's not the Wynn or the Intercontinnental, but it is my hotel of choice for stop offs, or we are visiting the soon to be inlaws .. lol.
    KK

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast