couple of newbie questions
    Hi, I'm new to all of this but learning by reading everything I can find on these boards. I promise I won't ask you to show me your websites or tell me the secret to doing everything right the first time!! I'll learn by trial and error and using any good nuggets of advice to be found here.

Couple of quick questions, though. I am totally confused by the chicken or the egg conundrum where individual merchants and entire affiliate networks seem to want to see a finished, functioning website before they will let you join, but in the case of a shopping site, how can you even begin to construct it without the merchants? If its primarily a content based site, I can see how you could have a lot of stuff up there before getting merchants, but it seems to me that a really successful content site needs the products to be carefully integrated into the whole. I have seem some affiliate sites that I know could not have existed before getting the okay from the network or merchants.

As far as web hosting is concerned, do most of you have a seperate hosting account for each of your sites? I know that some of the hosts say that you can have an unlimited amount of sub domains under the same account, but is there space to do that? Could i have a couple of fairly modest sized sites both on the same account? Is there an easy way to tell if an prospective website will take up all of the space you are allotted under an account?

Thanks for any iformation and I look forward to getting to know you....

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If you have your domain name and it is descriptive enough to be applicable to a specific product most merchants will allow you to sign up. If not, get hold of the affiliate manager and talk to them about what you are doing. Their job is to maximize results through this channel so if you have a good plan they should listen.

We use a couple of hosting companies but if you are looking for a recommendation I would suggest you look at LunarPages.

visitourmall, well said!

check out 1and1 hosting www.1and1.com when you are shopping around.

Consider building you site without the links then add the links as you are accepted into programs. That way you will not only have a site setup but you can work on look & function now. Also some programs will accept you without a site so keep applying to the programs you are interested in.

As for you hosting question I am currencly hosting 5 small sites (< 50 pages each) on 1 hosting account.

Good luck.

Andy

Thanks for the responses. Andy, when you say that you have five sites on one hosting account, is that all for the original price, or are you paying extra for "add-on" domains?

I am paying $10/month for the account with unlimited domains as long as I stay below the 100gb disk space limit.

Andy

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread