Is it better to blog about...
    Blog about "making money" and try to make sales on those products?

Or to blog about a niche market (fishing, gardening, etc) and try and get sales in a sector besides "making money"

Should i blog about what I know (boring to me...healthcare...)

Or start a blog to get to know something I'm interestd in, but perhaps I'd be less of an authority?

Thanks!

For the first go, blog about something that keeps your interest. Affiliate work is work, so it might as well write about something you want to write about. If it bores you, it will probably bore your reader.

Worry about getting quality content up, and you'll find ways to monetize it. Getting money out of people is easy - it's getting them to the site (and keeping them coming back for more!) that can be hard!
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

I should clarify that I've had a successful healthcare blog for over 4 years, one of the first in it's niche, but I never had an interest in monetizing it, and in fact, did not support blogs in that niche who did monetize by not participating when they hosted carnivals, etc. At least teh obnoxious ones.

now i realize that healthcare could be lucrative, but after 4 years I'm tired of the blog, which is sad, as it used to be my main outlet. Now I just post pretty pictures.

So I guess I'm wondering what to blog about next, knowing from the get go that I WILL monetize this one.

i could start in a different avenue of healthcare, but it just kind of sours me. It's all I can do to go to work each day, hence looking/hoping for alternative income.

BTW, I did earn about $2.43 on adsense on that blog before I deleted it. I still have that $2.43 sitting in my account waiting to arrive in my mailbox!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Everybody has websites about how to "make money". I would avoid that at all costs.

Is there some way to spin your knowledge into something that interests you and makes money?

If healthcare maybe some topic there you are passionate about. Fighting insurance companies... Getting good coverage when you are not the perfect customer.... Healthcare reform?

What about other interests hobbies or passions? What do you talk to your friends and family the most?

CPA Network Rep
    It sounds like you spent a long time on your current Healthcare blog. If you're bored with it, maybe you should sell it?

It would be a bummer to allow 4 years of work to go completely to waste. Especially the pretty pictures. haha

Perhaps you have another interest you could write about? One thing I'm learning is that there are a zillion niches for things you might not believe people are actually interested in. So who knows? If you have a weird hobby or interest, don't assume no one's interested in it. It could be an excellent niche!

good luck.

I would say that you don't necessarily have to be an authority, but you need to be interested in the topic.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

To take a different approach, if you're looking to monetize, you might actually do better writing about what you are an expert in already. Get that health blog updated and monetized, with content that others who are less expert can't create. Money coming in will give you some room to maneuver. Then, devote maybe 2 hours a day to a new topic that interests you, and the spark with which you write will add its own unique value.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    To take a different approach, if you're looking to monetize, you might actually do better writing about what you are an expert in already. Get that health blog updated and monetized, with content that others who are less expert can't create. Money coming in will give you some room to maneuver. Then, devote maybe 2 hours a day to a new topic that interests you, and the spark with which you write will add its own unique value.
    Thanks for the thoughts, Mike & everyone else. you may have just breathed new life into an old blog!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread