Hi all,

I am getting ready to lose the insurance I've had with my job in a few months and have been going crazy trying to find the best Health Insurance available.

For those of you in the USA who are self-employed and do not have insurance with your spouse - what do you do??

Please give me some ideas of where to try and what you've found to be reliable. I would really appreciate any input. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Janet

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go 'round and 'round...John Lennon

My husband, daughter & I are covered under
    the National Association of Self-Employed --

N.A.S.E.

http://www.nase.org/

The Link for the Health Insurance is on the
    left about 1/3 down.

We pay $301/month for a very High deductible
    health insurance. But we went for the high
    deductible to lower the monthly amount. It's
    not the greatest health insurance, but it
    will get us in Any hospital if required.

We've only used it once, when a large lawnmower
    Fell on my husband's arm. Because we have
    a 100% emergency payable (when something happens
    while working) added on, the bills
    were 100% paid.

We've probably paid in around $20,000 since
    we sighed up and have used around $1000. I
    Hate Insurance, especially Health & Car
    Insurance. At least with Life Insurance,
    someone will eventually get the money back:eek:

You might want to check with your State.
    I know Florida has setup Something for those
    that are self-employed or uninsured through
    work -- but haven't looked at it yet.

Anne

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

Anne,

Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed reply. I will definitely check into NASE. Colorado does have a law that those that are self-employed are guaranteed the right to have insurance BUT those rates are soooo high. If you're lucky, you'll get to pay about $700.00 per month with a high deductible. If I have to do that, I will, however, I do want to look into all my options.

Having to search for insurance is really a drag.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Janet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jknight:
    Having to search for insurance is really a drag....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not had any problems with Amerihealth, HMO other than the same problem everyone has - cost!

$354/mo with $30 co-pay on doctor visits and $1000 deductible on hospital stays. That's up from $206/mo $20 co-pay $500 deductible when I started with them about 5 years ago or so. That's for a single.

I'm looking into it myself. I left the job on 11/19, but I haven't done anything about it yet. One option is to go for COBRA, which will last 18 months. But I may skip this option even it will cost me a few 10 bucks less per month. The reason is that if I had anything wrong in the next 18 months, I might have a problem getting insurance after COBRA expires.

I'm almost certain that you have Kaiser Permanente in Colorado. Check them out. This is probably one of the best choices. Many people said that they're bad, but many others said they're pretty good. So, it's a matter of opinion. Oh yeah, talking about that, I have to call them tomorrow.

Another one is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I think some folks here are using them.

Good luck! (I need that too.)

ShoreMark & AT,

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. This gives me a few more ideas to go with.

AT - I too have looked at COBRA but for a family plan it's about $950 per month (without dental). Ouch!!! But, it is a very good plan. I don't want to get cheap but it's going to be hard to pay out almost $12,000 per year for insurance through Cobra. Good luck in your search as well.

Thanks again,

Janet

ABW Ambassador
    Same boat here; my son is handicapped and I am having some difficulty in finding a carrier that will cover "pre-existing conditions".

Cost is not an issue as long as I can find the coverage.

If anybody has any tips please email me at linkpimp@yankthis.com (no that is not a fake email address [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img])

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Deelz,

I will definitely let you know if I come across anything in my search that will fit your needs.

Janet

ABW Ambassador
    If you make any amount of money being self-employed, it is worth your while to incorporate. One of the benefits is you can join a local business orginization, in my case cose. I pay $450 a year to be in cose, but then my insurance is only $115 a month with a $15 copay for dr visits and 250 deductible on hospital visits. But those prices are only available thru my membership in cose. So check your with your local chamber of commerce for information about such an orginization, they are normally called "growth associations" or "small business associations".

chet

I feel for you guy's, if I had to pay that just for health insurance I could not not afford to be self-employed.

I am in Canada and pay $54 CAN (about $33 US) a month with $0 deductible.

ABW Ambassador
    There's a lot to be said for a government that focuses on running their own country instead of trying to run everyone else's. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Hi all,

reading here gives me a thought.

if we all self employed (affiliates) can we get a a deal as a group for health and life insurance?

is there a way we can all have some kind of insurance like a company do for all their employee and get some kind a deal for lower cost of insurance?

Just a thought!

I myself don't have any insurance coverage and also thinking of getting one but of course the cost is really an issue.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

Chet,

Wow, thanks for a great idea. I will get on that right away!

Nova - That's a great thought! There's probably quite a few of us ABWers that are in the same boat.

Haiko, what do you think? Any possibilities?

Janet

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AT:
    I'm looking into it myself. I left the job on 11/19, but I haven't done anything about it yet. One option is to go for COBRA, which will last 18 months. But I may skip this option even it will cost me a few 10 bucks less per month. The reason is that if I had anything wrong in the next 18 months, I might have a problem getting insurance after COBRA expires.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    AT,
    Can you explain what you mean by I may skip this option . . . if I had anything wrong in the next 18 months, I might have a problem getting insurance after COBRA expires?

Do you just mean that if something happens during the 18 months on COBRA, then you switch to [something else], that will be pre-existing? So you'd rather get on [something else] sooner rather than later? I'm on COBRA now and reading that made me wonder. I think I know what you mean, but I was hoping you'd clarify.

Also, has anyone found anything else on this? My SO's COBRA expires in a month, and, mine will eventually. I was hoping to find something else.....but, honestly, I don't even know where to look. I know some of you do this fulltime, though, a lot have a spouse which does NOT do this, but, surely there must be some of you who have had to tackle this...

Thanks!

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread