Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Red Bull anyone?
    I had a close friend spend the nite in ER, he 5 or 6 Red Bulls yesterday in the heat, all was good until 10:30PM, he had a seizure.

He's ok, now and was released, but needs to follow up with a neurologist.

I found this article.
    Can Energy Drinks cause Seizures?

Posted on 09:57PM (EDT) on 2007-06-28

Suffocating in the vacancy of unprepared ness, he downed a couple of energy drinks with his usual speed. It was 2am and his eyes were drunk with sleep. He needed to stay awake to study for his exams the next day. He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes hard. There was so much work to do. He reached for another energy drink hoping for a rush. He needed to shift the gears of his mood into cerebral overdrive.

The next thing he remembered was waking up on a stretcher in a strange place. He had a pounding headache and a taste of blood in his mouth. The smell of urine emanated from his khaki pants – they were soaked. And in the midst of his wilderness, he heard a calm voice – “You had a seizure young man– you are in the hospital.”

Energy peaks in mountains filled with deep valleys: that’s really what these quick-fix drinks do to our bodies. For a moment, they arouse exhausted teenagers, college students, and athletes with their high amount of caffeine, guarana (a mix of caffeine theophylline and theobromine), and sugar. The European Commission has insisted on clear warnings about their high caffeine content on labels; however in the United States, unlike the FDA limits for the amount of caffeine in sodas, the caffeine content in energy drinks are not regulated. As a result, up to 280mg of caffeine may be ingested in a single 8.4-ounce serving of some energy drinks - equivalent to approximately 17 ounces of coffee. And when we add energy bars, energy shots, and other energy products, a generation of caffeinated junkies looms large.

We have already seen the seen the medical hazards of ephedra – popular in the US for energy enhancement and weight loss. Indeed, after several reports of stroke and seizures, the FDA finally banned products containing ephedra in 2003. Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) marketed as over-the-counter diet pills and decongestants were also banned after numerous reports of strokes, including case-control studies.

Recently, at the 59th annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology in Boston, researchers reported that large amounts of energy drinks may induce seizures. While they could not establish a causal relationship due to small sample size and study design, a relationship between these energy drinks and epilepsy is highly plausible.

It is well documented that toxic doses of caffeine can cause agitation, cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), panic attacks, delirium, and seizures, and we know that these effects can follow ingestion of only 1g of caffeine (recall the 280mg in an 8 ounce serving). Moreover, excessive amounts of caffeine have been shown to lower seizure threshold in humans and increase the frequency of seizures in those with epilepsy.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    I've had 4 during a night and by the time the sun rose, can't tell you how sick I was. Thankfully, nothing to do with seizure. Never having it again, ever, not even a can.

France banned RB for a reason...

Online Marketing Consultant
    We have already seen the seen the medical hazards of ephedra – popular in the US for energy enhancement and weight loss. Indeed, after several reports of stroke and seizures, the FDA finally banned products containing ephedra in 2003. Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) marketed as over-the-counter diet pills and decongestants were also banned after numerous reports of strokes, including case-control studies.

However Ephedra is legal in the USA still because of a reversal in Utah and is being sold in the open market:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr14.html

Although there are also dangers associated with drinking products like Redbull, think about how many millions consume it each day and night. I enjoy it before the gym each Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, however the thing that concerns me is when it is mixed with alcohol. That is taking an upper and a downer. People do it everyday and all, but think about how that can and does effect your body?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Pets and am happy to hear he is ok.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I was just speaking with someone about this and he told me last year he was at the beach, had several.
    Later that day he had a heart attack.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

At least people know beforehand that they are about to dose themselves with caffeine or some other stimulant. Which is the whole point of drinking these things in the first place.

What I find repulsive is the new generation of beverages that are presented as "healthy alternatives" to soda and low-quality juice drinks. The labels proclaim that they contain "fresh-squeezed fruit juice, not from concentrate! yay!", "mineral-rich water from a mountain stream, not filtered tap water! yay!", "loads of vitamins! yay!", "anti-oxidants! yay!", and sundry other pitches. Then when you check the fine print list of ingredients you find that they also contain sugar substitutes that are more carcinogenic than asbestos and creosote. YAY!
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

My husband drinks Monster, they say right on the can limit 3 per day. And not recommended for children at all. That tells me that energy drinks dance on the dangerous line. Especially for those with heart conditions and such.

http and a telephoto
    I notice Alan and Michael are not commenting in here....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I generally consume 1 - 2 cans of RB daily, have for several years now. On one occasion, I had four one night (with vodka). I slept well that night, and the next morning ran my longest distance to date (8.5 miles) at 8,000 - 8,500 ft. I felt great, had no "RB rush" or wired feeling etc.

There has not been any conclusive decision about RB causing seizures, but I would not be surprised if under certain conditions (such as someone who is borderline seizure prone) that over indulgence could facilitate or contribute to a triggering of such a thing. This same possibility exists with coffee and other stimulants.

The key is moderation in everything, but I shutter to think of someone drinking RB to hydrate themselves on a hot day. That is not what it is intended for or advertised as, so thankfully he is OK and will not repeat that episode.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I notice Alan and Michael are not commenting in here....
    oops, you posted while I was responding. LOL.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Talking
    Obviously everyone responds differently to stimulants. Warren Buffet is in his late 70's and has been drinking over a 12 pack of Coke (regular w/sugar) a day most of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    And not recommended for children at all.
    Anyone who gives energy drinks to kids is a moron. They have enough (perhaps too much?) energy without taking anything.

Speaking of which, one of the favorite signs I've seen lately says: "Unattended kids will be given a cappuccino and a puppy."

I actually don't drink Red Bull or other energy drinks that often. Normally, if I get sleepy, I just take a nap. If I'm on the road or at a convention, energy drinks or lattes are great to keep me going.

I did drink the equivalent to about 12 cans of Red Bull one evening. About 4am I finally realized why I couldn't go to sleep. Duh!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

"Unattended kids will be given a cappuccino and a puppy."
    Classic
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Warren Buffet is in his late 70's and has been drinking over a 12 pack of Coke (regular w/sugar) a day most of his life.
    At first, I thought that was 12 two-liter bottles.

I read that about Warren Buffet also. Coke has caffeine of course, so now I know why Warren is so durable!!

Again I believe the key with anything is moderation; be it cocktails, aspirins, sodas, energy drinks and even water. There have been many cases of people having seizures, heart attacks, strokes etc because they drank too much water.

ABW Ambassador
    "Warren Buffet is in his late 70's and has been drinking over a 12 pack of Coke (regular w/sugar) a day most of his life."

Oh, so that's true? Anybody have a link. I need this for when people get on me for drinking a couple of cans a day (and maybe some Mountain Dew too)

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Warren Buffet is in his late 70's and has been drinking over a 12 pack of Coke (regular w/sugar) a day most of his life."

Oh, so that's true? Anybody have a link. I need this for when people get on me for drinking a couple of cans a day (and maybe some Mountain Dew too)
    Hey, if the key to becoming a multi billionaire is Coke consumption, I'm headed to the supermarket now!!

The purpose of energy drinks is not to hydrate but to energize. People neglect the actual use and recommendations by companies thinking it can't harm them either because it's a liquid or because they see it more as a juice than as a specially designed mix of chemicals created to boost energy levels before or after physical activity.

Have you ever read the ingredients? Red Bull contains ASPARTAME which wasn't approved by the FDA 7 times (or 8, I can't remember) due to it's side effects, one of which were related to it's affects on the brain. It was approved without having gone through any modifications. Epileptic Seizures is an actual side effect of this chemical. See for yourself and do a search on Aspartame side effects. Some people are able to tolerate large quantities of it, others just chewing gum (some companies use aspartame) will give them headaches.

I think energy drinks should be in the same category as alcohol seeing as you need to drink them responsibly. Aspartame is a whole other story.

Hope I didn't make anybody paranoid!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    Have you ever read the ingredients? Red Bull contains ASPARTAME which wasn't approved by the FDA 7 times (or 8, I can't remember) due to it's side effects, one of which were related to it's affects on the brain. Hope I didn't make anybody paranoid!
    Nah, I don't buy the stuff about affecting the brain at all. I drink it all the time and I'm a frikkin genius. Before I started drinking RB my IQ was only 121. Now, it's 182, and thoughts come to me a lot faster too. Well, gotta run. Don't know why, but I feel like running right now!!!

while in iraq, 5-6 red bulls a day plus greenbean coffee 2-3 times a day.. still kicking.. but thanks for the warning.. even since i've been home, i still drink at least a 12 pk of red bull a week.. just enjoy them that much..

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread