Internet Cowboy
    Congratulations Barry!
    I am pretty sure there will be many opinions here, but I have to say Congrats to Barry Bonds. He is truly one of the best players to ever step foot on the diamond. He might not be the nicest, most respected player, but he is a great player nevertheless.

I say the media is most of Barry's reputation problem. He has never treated the media with any consistent level of respect and therefore is not shown in a very good light by the media.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Asterisk. 'Nuff said.

Internet Cowboy
    Rhea,
    Do you think that if the pitchers during the "steroid era" were able to throw that much faster and harder, that this might equalize any ideas that Barry hit extra home runs because of steroid use?
    I heard this question posed on Sports Center last night and it made me think.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think Barry's problem is that he is the only one around that is unquestionably tied to steroids. His best friend is a convicted steroid dealer. His trainer has been convicted on steroid charges. And, worst, I believe, is the fact that he more or less admitted to steroid use in his grand jury testimony.

All that aside the overall state of sports is pathetic. Basketball refs, Michael Vick, Barry Bonds, Tour de France. It breaks my heart.

Scooter, I prefer the thin Barry over the bulked up Barry.

My only gratification is the sure and certain knowledge that Barry's tchotchkes are the size of a pea, even if the rest of him has gotten huge.

CPA Network Rep
    I'm from Pittsburgh and I remember watching Barry when he was like a stick. haha It's weird to see him so huge.

I don't know what to think about him and the whole steroid issue. I get the feeling that a lot of athletes are using a wide variety of elements to increase performance that may not be on the "radar".

From my background in the nutrition industry I've seen a great many natural elements that can definitely 'boost performance'. How many of these are considered "illegal", or should be considered such, is really a matter of interpretation and education.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Asterisk. 'Nuff said.
    I agree with you, Rhea. Steroid allegations aside, I think the questions posed in the article below deserve to be answered, too. In fact, I think his elbow brace might affect his hitting more than any steroid use might.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

Yeah, a "record" 756 home runs is impressive, but if it's tainted... really, what good is it? It's a question of ethics and whether or not someone crossed a line to gain competitive advantage. Just because others are doing it too doesn't make it right. We all deal with and debate questions of ethics like that with regards to affiliate marketing on ABW on a daily basis. Why shouldn't our sports leagues and sports figures be expected to maintain a code of ethics as well? I would hope that professional sports would step up to the plate and tackle their ethical issues too. Olympic athletes have their records and medals taken away when they "cheat" with performance enhancing substances and devices. Why should U.S. sports be any different?

I just don't enjoy sports like I used to... *sigh*
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Alex Rodriguez should break it, if he stays healthy and continues to play, think he was the youngest to 500. So hopefully that happens. And no doubt Barry was on steroids. I saw an interesting chart last week on ESPN and they had home runs hit before the age of 32 and after. There were a couple of people who had a lot more after 32, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, another one on the juice. And you can just tell how big they got all of the other stuff that has come to light. So it should get beat in the future and erase it. But Barry still going to add a litte more to that total.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    I agree with Trust, Arod is hitting about 30-40 Homers on average, if he stays healthy and continues to play he will break the record. As far as Barry Bonds is concerned, steroids or no streroids a 85-100 mph pitch is fast and to hit one of these fireballs takes experience, timing and technique. If anyone has ever been at home plate for the first time and was pitched at this rate, you probably had to check your pants.... hehehe

Over the weekend I was talking to a couple of buddies, one happens to be a pitcher's coach for a Unversity and he says that on the average the ball travels out of the pitcher's hand and arrives at the catchers mit in less the half the blink of an eye. Now thats fast!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Over the weekend I was talking to a couple of buddies, one happens to be a pitcher's coach for a Unversity and he says that on the average the ball travels out of the pitcher's hand and arrives at the catchers mit in less the half the blink of an eye. Now thats fast!
    Right! And by that time Jose Reyes is rounding second base. Meep-meep!

Internet Cowboy
    I agree, unless something tragic happens to A-Rod, he will crush this record at a much younger age, apparently without the juice.

As for the bionic elbow brace theory.....gimme a break. Why doesn't every hitter in the game have one just like it? Why don't at least all of the Giants have one? You don't really believe that do you Mufn?

I am not sticking up for Barry Bonds here. I absolutely hated Deon Sanders but at one time I will freely admit that he was the best athlete on earth. I hate to see an accomplishment like Barry has reached be tarnished.

On Rhea's comment about the size of your nads on steroids, I saw a commercial last night on ESPN that talked about steroid use and as the talking was going on, a football, a basketball, a baseball and a soccerball all shrunk to the size of a pea. If they make your nads shrivel up like that, why not just do spot checks of players' nads then test those players with the smallest nads?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I agree, unless something tragic happens to A-Rod, he will crush this record at a much younger age, apparently without the juice.

As for the bionic elbow brace theory.....gimme a break. Why doesn't every hitter in the game have one just like it? Why don't at least all of the Giants have one? You don't really believe that do you Mufn?

I am not sticking up for Barry Bonds here. I absolutely hated Deon Sanders but at one time I will freely admit that he was the best athlete on earth. I hate to see an accomplishment like Barry has reached be tarnished.

On Rhea's comment about the size of your nads on steroids, I saw a commercial last night on ESPN that talked about steroid use and as the talking was going on, a football, a basketball, a baseball and a soccerball all shrunk to the size of a pea. If they make your nads shrivel up like that, why not just do spot checks of players' nads then test those players with the smallest nads?
    All I said was that if anything, the brace might affect his hitting more than steroids and that questions about it need to be answered. There has to be talent there to begin with for steroids to be of any use. Therefore, a brace that can help a batter be more consistent in his swing would definitely be more advantageous than steroids. Both, however, can give a competitive advantage over players that don't use them. As to why everyone isn't wearing one, the story itself explained that.

"At the moment, Bonds' apparatus enjoys 'grandfathered' status. Similar devices are presently denied to average major leaguers, who must present evidence of injury before receiving an exemption."

I agree that hitting that many home runs is an accomplishment. However, I think hitting 755 home runs without anything to enhance performance is more impressive than hitting 756 with performance enhancements. That's just my opinion.

And I do hope Alex Rodriguez breaks the record, drug-free.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I'm not a Barry fan. I'm fairly convinced the guy's juiced. That said, if I went on the juice for the next 15 years, I would still strike out every time I got in the box.

I'll give him his due. Though I would prefer a guy like Griffey hold the title when it's all said and done (being a Rangers fan, I can't pull for A-Rod - ever!).

So, that said, congrats Barry.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Ahh, Barry finally broke Hank Aarons homerun record. All I have to say is THANK GOD HE FINALLY DID IT. I am so sick of people talking about steroid use and whether this record is tainted or not. Guess what, the Giants are a million games out of first place and Barry will go another year without winning a World Series. That is what really matters. I am so relieved reporters and fans can now move on from this "home run chase" and concentrate on the players on the field, playing their hearts out to get the chance to play in the fall classic.

Congratulations to Barry Bonds for breaking the record. It is the most coveted record in all of sports and it took a lot of hard work, great play and dedication to break it. Bonds is the best hitter of our lifetimes, roids or not.

Now lets talk about the possibility of the Red Sox winning their first A.L. East title in 10 years. Damn those Yankees.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    the Red Sox winning their first A.L. East title in 10 years. Damn those Yankees.
    Oh Brent, you dont know what you just posted....I am really gonna target you in Fantasy Football! Feeel the pain of a Yankee HITMAN! ARRGHH.....LOL
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    And i thought I knew you Emilio!!! This is unbelievable.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Barry is one of the ATG and there is more to hitting a ball than power. There are other factors such as hand eye coordination, ability to get the right part of the bat to hit the ball, the swing, the posture, there are so many things involved!

Barry deserves more credit.

I don't care how many kinds or types of performance enhancing drugs one takes, if one does not have

a) excellent hand eye coordination
    b) bat speed

one will NEVER even be on the radar to even play in the majors, much less bread records. You don't have to LIKE him, but you have to realize the fact that before and after the juice he is better than 95% of all baseball players.

ABW Ambassador
    So much for A-Rod

Report: A-Rod tested positive for steroids in '03

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9192806/Report:-A-Rod-tested-positive-for-steroids-in-'03?MSNHPHMA

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    So much for A-Rod

Report: A-Rod tested positive for steroids in '03

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9192806/Report:-A-Rod-tested-positive-for-steroids-in-'03?MSNHPHMA
    Oops..... well, he can always contact Kellogg's. They are looking for a new spokesperson!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread