Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Help me with ideas for coffee shop signs
    Hey gang,

A some of you know, Ellen and I have some drive up espresso chalets here in Colorado. Recently, we decided that our little chalet just a block south of Columbine HS needs a face lift to the signs atop the chalet. We want to do something that will really stick out, and can be easily read from a distance.

Our initial idea is to go with a hot flourisant yellow background with large black lettering and a couple upbeat coffee cups (one on each end). The signs will be about 4' high by 14' long. I've attached a rough draft.

I'd like to get your feedback / ideas to see where we go with this. We want to contract with the sign maker next Monday, so if you have any ideas to share let me know. Ellen and I appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    Expresso Espresso!
    "Our customers mean more than beans to us."

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    There are three distinct parts to a shot of espresso. The heart (the black bottom), the body (the tan/golden brown middle), and the crema (the top part that resembles sweet caramel). Ristretto refers to a short espresso shot (meaning it doesn't undergo full extraction and comes out a bit sweeter than usual).

Keep it short and sweet. Any name will do (really) because they tend to grow on people anyway. I would be careful with using the word "Black" because it doesn't sound appetizing (to the stomach or to the senses). My suggestions are:

Cafe Crema

Cafe Ristretto

Brewed Awakening

Coffee 2.0
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I think the concept of your design is pretty good...but it would probably be worth a little extra $ to hire a professional designer and make it look very nice.

I've had good luck finding local high-quality and affordable print designers on craigslist...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The coffee cups are too small for a big sign. Never mind that espresso actually uses a small cup, on a sign things need to be big and visible!

And, they need to be more dynamic looking. Maybe if they're tilted a bit (but using the "special" mystery painted-coffee that mysteriously stays level in a tilted cup without spilling )
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Is Mountain Bean Drive Up Expresso actually the business name? I was thinking that you might do Mountain Bean on the top line and then Drive Thru Expresso underneath.

The gourmet coffee and breakfast munchies might be assumed if you get a designer to put drawings (or actual b & W photos) of same on the ends where you have the coffee cups. I like the balanced graphics on the ends, but the cups need a little work.

I like what you have except that the 2nd and 3rd lines of info are too busy and small for impact. So I was trying to shorten the verbiage to make room for all big lettering.

I was also trying to figure out how to make the hours of business readily available but not so many words and maybe not on that specific sign?

You can ignore everything here - I am really just trying to do something constructive rather than pack my closet

CPA Network Rep
    hi Alan -

I'm not sure what a "drive up espresso chalet" is. haha Can you attach a picture?

I think the other comments are great. I would add that depending on the personality of the place you could play with the wording a bit to make it sound more cozy or upscale or community oriented etc.

In other words instead of having "Delicious gourmet coffies and munchies" you could have something like "Gourmet coffee and food with Friends". or "Drive Up. Sit Down. Enjoy."

None of my examples are right for you I'm sure but you get what I mean: you can make the verbiage to reflect a certain feeling or experience instead of just saying what is there: food and coffee.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Pets, thanks for the Barista education!! LOL.

Thanks for the time and thoughts gang. I may not have been clear in my original post. The mock up I attached is simply a rough layout concept. The cups in the mock up are just there for balance, as is the text layout etc. I am designing a conceptual first and then we are having a professional designer with the sign company do actual designs for our review. I'm looking more for actual unique verbiage that might catch attention. Something kind of abstract or upbeat that is also easily understood.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com

Brewed Awakening

Brilliant!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

When I'm driving I have very little time to read signs unless I'm stopped at a a light, so something needs to be more visual to catch my attention. A VERY LARGE CUP of espresso with wheels would be more likely to get my attention. Remember driving past at normal speeds would put your sign within my vision for a second or two at best so a very large and short message would be the most effective.

(BTW, I really like "Brewed Awakening")

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Pets and Rematt,

A special coffee gift package went out overnight to you today. You will have it by noon tomorrow. Thanks again - I hope you enjoy it.

Alan

Thanks Alan and Ellen. I got the package about an hour ago and I'm on my fourth cup and it's great. Blinking is so over rated .

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

You're welcome Rematt. Glad you like it. It is a special blend that we have roasted for our shops out here. Customers love it, so happy to hear that you do too.

Best - Alan & Ellen

I have the package also, Thanks.

Not opening up here, it's going home with me, these guys are big coffee drinkers, it would be gone in a minute.
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Thumbs up
    Alan, I just wanted to tell you that I forgot about the package sitting around till 2 weeks ago.

I was packing for a trip to Fla in my RV and took it along, that is really good coffee. I drink it black no sugar to mask anything.

In fact my wife who only drinks tea tried a cup and loved it.

Can I purchase that blend from you?

Any pic's of the new store?
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Alan, I just wanted to tell you that I forgot about the package sitting around till 2 weeks ago.

I was packing for a trip to Fla in my RV and took it along, that is really good coffee. I drink it black no sugar to mask anything.

In fact my wife who only drinks tea tried a cup and loved it.

Can I purchase that blend from you?

Any pic's of the new store?
    You can PM me and I can arrange it for you. Yes, it is a great blend. Very rich, robust bean. Black without flavors or syrups added (cough starbucks!) is the true test of a gourmet blend. Glad you liked it.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread