I hereby invite Brian Littleton, Owner/Operator of Shareasale.com, to co-operate with Haiko to send a direct email to every single ABW member promoting the benefits, if any, of a co-operation with Shareasale.

If Shareasale proves to us that it is a viable alternative, even allowing for its infancy stage, gives the proper operational guarantees re: ParasiteWare, and consequently ABW members start moving meaningful traffic to its offerings it shall be in a position to start competing successfully with the established networks.

Possibly it is in our mutual interest to support Shareasale in its growth if it provides the requisite guarantees?

Can Shareasale rise to the challenge?

I, for one, always start looking for a new merchant at ShareASale due to the anti-parasite stance.

I am all too often disappointed and don't find one in the area I'm looking for, but I make it a point when I am looking for a replacement for an eBates affiliated merchant or making a new page to check ShareASale.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    We have two programs running on SAS

Vegas Experts
    Pierced Body

We've found set up to be very easy and it is a great option for smaller merchants or people looking to get into affiliate marketing, howvere Brian does run it as a one man operation (at least as far as I am aware) at present and as such it has the associated problems.

For larger programs while not free of parasites LinkShare is still our option of choice due to reporting, banner management, linking, fast support and tracking

Cheers

Chris

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    heisje, and all...

I guess it depends on your definition of what it means to "rise to the challenge" - and being a "viable alternative" ... because on most points, we consider ourselves already to be a very viable alternative for merchants and affiliates alike.

Our stance on the issue specifically of BHOs or "Parasiteware" as it is referred to on this board have been put forward already. They haven't changed...I don't like, and never have liked the ethics or business practices behind some of the companies involved - that is just personal opinion.

I would welcome any ABW member, one by one, or in mass, that would want to try out and promote the merchants that we have available on shareasale.com, and I would also welcome any input that anyone has in terms of specific merchants that might be interested in a new home. We add new merchants every day, and feel confident that our solution brings those merchants the tools they need to run a very successful program.

We are not Linkshare, nor CJ, nor any other company. We feel that this is a benefit to our members in a lot of ways: we are flexible by nature - due to our size, we are sensitive to the issues of all parties involved - those being the affiliates, the merchants and ourselves, we take new requests, features, etc., and we try to implement them in order to help everyone. Obviously, there are benefits to other networks out there as well...you won't hear me badmouth other organizations...certainly, our size may be an issue for some merchants who are looking for a more corporate structure to deal with, and that is fine with us.

If you need proof that we will provide quality solutions, flexible solutions, and quality care of our clients, I invite you to ask the members of this board who are merchants or affiliates with us. Not everything has been perfect, far from it, but there is nothing that I won't listen to and attempt to change for the positive when it is brought to my attention.

Past that, I must say that the option that you speak of has always been there. We have been around longer than some of you may think. Contrary to popular opinion this isn't a one man operation from the back of a truck. Sometimes, i admit, it feels that way - but that is mainly because I built this - and I like to have a hand in all of the operations... but our organization grows in proper response to the way that our marketshare grows. This is the way that we can ensure that we stay profitable from our own sources at all times - and ensures that we do not become reliant on any given affiliate or merchant to stay in business. We are in a strong position ourselves right now, and we look forward to continued growth.

Running a network is a complicated business. There are a whole lot of different people to keep happy... I read the thread in this forum on a new "affiliate owned" network, which I would certainly support...even if it was a competitor of mine at some point. In my opinion, however, your efforts would be better placed in supporting an existing organization that has already walked through the problems that you would face. But that is just my opinion. We would love to be that organization, but I can't tell you that we would do anything different specifically, than what we have been doing. Requests and suggestions will always be met with an open mind here, no matter whether you choose as a group to "co-operate", or if you choose another direction.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

CJ's lack of communication here the last three weeks is enough cause for me to take another look at your merchants. Glad you are here and appreciate your comments.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    ShareASale,

I use you very little because many of the merchants dont fit or the ones I have tried have not produced.

One note you may want to consider is that you have many merchants who don't even have a logo. Personally, this turns me off very much because if a merchant can't or doesn't have the time, expertise of funds to get a simple logo well...... I sure am not going to have much confidence in their ability to pay for commissions on transactions.

I'd suggest you either dump these or make them step up to the plate. These companies significantly damage you reputation as a serious alternative in my opinion.

First impressions count and these are big red flags to me that gives me the weezies about using your network on a broader scale.

ABW Ambassador
    "Running a network is a complicated business."

Hear hear Brian. And, as one grows, it becomes a very costly venture as well.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Brian,
    Great post and I think you guys are doing great as a network...can't wait to see what 2003 brings. I'd like to note that in the near future look for an announcement concerning TH Media and our Shareasale program. We hope it will benenfit both shareasale and our affiliates....more on that soon

Happypoon, I'd like to add a little. As a merchant there, we are required to pay upfront to be included in the network. The money is held by Shareasale so you will get paid. Reversals are a different story, but there is nothing riding on credit where a merchant can't pay the affiliates since its already been paid (hope this is making sense )

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Bryan would shareasale accept datecam.com?

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

I had been seeking alternatives to the merchants I promote at CJ and Linkshare, since the revenue I had been making from the end of 2001 into 2002 was dropping dramatically e.g... 60 to 70% even though my traffic was up over 300%

Although Shareasale is not a fix all, (right now anyway) what they do provide is a parasite free environment in which an affiliate can get a fair deal.

I have been promoting only one merchant from Shareasale which provides similar products as two of my CJ merchants provide. Guess what this Shareasale merchant has been giving me sales of 1 in 40 clicks for over 2 months now while the others at CJ come in at 1 in 500 and 1 in 700. (whats up with that)

And another thing Shareasale pays on time with consolidated payments to boot! (they say checks are processed on the 20th of each month and they are.) I received mine with in ten days and that was during Christmas and I live in Canada! A lesson Linkshare might want to learn, but of course their merchants would rather not have consolidated payments as they would have to pay those affiliates making less than the minimum and Linkshare would not be able to bank all those commission checks for weeks on end to collect interest if they made payments on time.

Personally this affiliate/network thing was starting to seem a bit to sleazy for my taste, but with Shareasale there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

ABW Ambassador
    I am in the process of dropping merchants that are listed on the ebates site. The first place that I will look for a new merchant is at Shareasale.
    Cazzie

I wonder how many times anyone here has contacted the top man at LS, CJ, Reporting.net or Performics and gotten an answer from them? Most likely not too many of us. Steve pops by every now and then which is is good but your not good find better support from the top man than you do at SAS.

How many times when you get a reversal is a real reason given? With the merchants I deal with at SAS there is always an explaination and reversals are minimum in most cases. When I did have a question about reversals and couldn't get to the bottom of it with the merchant, Brian was all over it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> f Shareasale proves to us that it is a viable alternative, even allowing for its infancy stage, gives the proper operational guarantees re: ParasiteWare, and consequently ABW members start moving meaningful traffic to its offerings it shall be in a position to start competing successfully with the established networks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW members have already been moving meaningful traffic to SAS and have been for awhile. If the rest of you affiliates and merchants would give SAS a try you might be pleasantly surprised.

SAS is no different than the rest of the company's when it comes to choosing merchants. Trying to find the right one that fits your sites needs and trying to find the right one that works. Just the same as the other BIG Boys. I don't hesitate to about going to SAS first when I am looking for new merchants. I always start there and then work my way down to the others. Why? Support, support, support! Non Parasitic, Non Parasitic, Non Parasitic!

Oh yea, and the money I make there is another reason. Almost left that part out. Checks mailed on the 20th of each month. Consolidated payments. Tom, Chris and Frank hang out there too. Ok, that might not be a plus

FWIW I'll be getting my biggest check ever in the 3 years I have been doing this from SAS come the 20th of this month. A result from a combination of several good merchants that I found at SAS. Anyways, JMO all. Ya might want to see what ya can find over there.

"Can Shareasale rise to the challenge?"

A more approprite question might be can ABW members rise to the challenge?

Because from my experience, what I see is an Affiliate Network that:

1. Is parasite free!
    2. Consolidates payments.
    3. Pays on time
    4. Handles disputes promply.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with ratite - it is up to affiliates to support Shareasale. There's some good merchants there who do strange un-networkly things like convert, contact their affiliates without being hassled to do so and have products in stock.

I agree that they do need more product based merchants, though, but the ones they have got are - for the most part - excellent.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

datecam.com,

Sure...email me or call me if you have specific questions.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

I also appreciate everyone who has said that they come to look to shareasale.com first when looking for replacement merchants....

When you look, and if you don't find...make sure you let me know, and we can try to find merchants that suit your needs, and bring them to shareasale.com... It might not always work, but if there are specific categories that you feel you need more from, we can always try.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

Brian it seems that you gave everything together with shareasale. I hope it grows leaps and bounds.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

I have found that the conversions with share sale are the lowest of any affiliate program of which I am a member. CJ is #1 followed by linkshare, reprting.net, clickxchange and trailing by a wide wide margine is sharesale. They have a long way to go.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Brian,

You need to attract more merchants that actually sell hard products. Fewer merchants just selling services. Drop merchants that have a heavy focus on pushing affiliate links to merchants on other networks. I hate to send shoppers to a merchant only to have them go to one of my affilate merchants via this merchants affiliate links giving him the credit for sales instead of me.

We need to be able to search for merchants rather than having to scroll through pages of merchants looking for the right one to apply to.

After applying to a merchant, it would be nice if the merchant status window showed pending instead of No until the application is either rejected or approved.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    They need more 'name' merchants. Unless I start doing sites that do not need the big names (and I might have some things in the works like this), I won't be able to use SAS.

I just find that my visitors prefer the big names as opposed to cheap prices.

In about two weeks my partner and I will be launching a new program with shareasale selling footwear. We are planning on paying out 15% commissions to our affiliates and possibly work in some bonus plans for top performers. For starters our product line will be fairly small but in time plans are to add new lines to the mix.

I will be making an official announcement via abwestweb soon.

Freesurf,

I appreciate your comments, but I must say that what you are saying is a little confusing. Conversions depend on the quality of your traffic, the merchants site and conversion ratio, and the networks ability to track it. If you are implying that we don't have the ability to track, I would disagree. If you are saying that our merchants don't fit your traffic, that is a reasonable thing to say...but telling us that we have a "long way to go" tends to make me think that you have doubts about our ability to track transactions...and I really don't know how to respond to that but to tell you that I disagree with the statement itself, and the logic behind it.

TCS,

Good suggestion on the "pending" and "no", and I'll get that put in. Merchant "searching" is also something that we are always working on...but there is a search box in there, I'm not sure if you've found it yet...but it is in the "Join Programs" page...below the first line of categories, there is a search box there that might help you find what you are looking for quicker...

And as for the merchants selling hard products, yes I agree we would love to have more merchants selling hard goods, and that is one of our goals for this year is to increase the number of hard products not only by merchant, but in our merchant product database......however, at the same time, we do feel like there are quite a few merchants selling hard products, and I will post you a list of ones that have, in my opinion, good products to sell, just in case it helps you...

this is off the top of my head here, so i am quite sure i'll spell something wrong in here.

UrbanScooters.com - bikes and scooters
    Nutritional/Muscle - Anabolicstore.com
    LongevityLabs.com
    Infacta.com - Mailing software...
    frank bee costumes - can't forget that one
    Chris just launched the body-jewelery-body-piercing.com site as well, and for some it has been a great start...

anyhow, i don't want to just run off all the programs here, just giving you an idea if you wanted to try to promote a shareasale.com merchant to test us out in terms of our payment/service/etc... i can recommend any of the above, and a bunch more that i forgot (sorry) ...

jimbo2002,

agreed...big name merchants are great...can't argue with that. but we like any merchant that sells, and if our affiliates weren't able to sell the products of the merchants that we do have, I wouldn't be here typing all this stuff.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread