MyAffiliateProgram MyAP9 Questions
    Hello... I'm brand new to ABW and am working on setting up a new affiliate program for my company. We're trying to decide between SAS & MyAP9. I've read a lot of really helpful things on ABW - great resource! SAS is the clear winner if going with a network -- but we're leaning toward MyAP9 because of the higher customization we can get from it (see bottom of post for more):

I have a few questions that I didn't see discussed in any of the threads I read... any comments would be really appreciated:

1. How does MyAP9 deal with sub ID's / child ID's (i.e. if an affiliate wants to have multiple ID's on one parent account to track impressions / clicks / sales by campaign)? Do affiliates care (I don't think SAS can do this)?

2. Any idea how / if you can integrate a data feed (web services? XML?) in order to pull information out of MyAP9 and into our internal systems? I know you can export reports, etc. But that seems pretty manual.

3. How about offline affiliates? People who might want to use traditional print materials that result in a call to an 800#? We want to be sure we have a robust tracking system so affiliates feel confident in not getting "lost" sales.

4. MyAP9 vs. SAS... any general thoughts? I like MyAP9 (see below for reasons) but want to be sure affiliates will be comfortable with it... and that our affiliate management team will be happy with the decision.

A few reasons I like MyAP9 vs. SAS:

1. Runs on our site - so feels more like a custom program w/ our brand
    2. Links are to our site (helps SEO & HUGE benefit for portability later)
    3. Integration of multi-channel
    4. Less "clunky" interface (although SAS looks to get the job done!)
    5. More custom integration - i.e. easier development to make it fit exactly with our model & business.

Thanks (in advance) for any thoughts! I tried to read / search through everything I could here before posting so sorry if I've missed something that's already been talked about recently.

--NewGuy AM

ABW Ambassador
    SAS

2. Links are to our site (helps SEO & HUGE benefit for portability later)

There are some threads on that one.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92873

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, the SEO benefit thing. You're allowed to think it, but NEVER say it out loud. Affiliates don't like it.

They think - and, let's be honest, they're right - that they are being used.

Also, as that thread that Trust posted points out, there is a small danger that you'll kill all your rankings.

I haven't looked at MyAP 9, but Kowabunga have been promoting extra link building value for years and their affiliate linking structure never delivered it in the past.

www.mydomain.com/index.php?aid=1234 and www.mydomain.com/index.php are not the same URL in the eyes of Google.

The only method that really works is : the affiliate link sets a cookie at point a) . Then there is a 301 redirect to the real URL with no affiliate parameters.

IE:

Affiliate LInk: www.mydomain.com/affiliates/id=1234 > cookie is set > 301 redirect to www.mydomain.com .

That is the way to pass link juice from affiliate links. Everything else is just amateur hour.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    Yeah, the SEO benefit thing. You're allowed to think it, but NEVER say it out loud. Affiliates don't like it.
    MarkyMark & Trust: thanks for the quick replies! And Yikes! I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot re: SEO. That's not much of a real benefit in my mind - small point. I think the portability it gives you (from a merchant standpoint) - i.e. being able to move to another in-house program and make the transition easier for affiliates b/c you could (hopefully) keep the same links / campaigns runnings - is really the benefit... From an SEO standpoint, I'd rather have affiliates get the benefit of SEO since they're doing the work. Everybody wins, right?

I'm not sure if you guys are affiliates or AM's... but any thoughts on the other questions?

Thanks!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread