Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    Windows Vista....
    I hate it. Really I do. But I have 2 computers with it (one is a laptop that I haven't started really using yet, so it's just the desktop that I am grumping about)... grumble. Here's the most annoying thing, it seems to ALWAYS be doing something on the hard drive. What the heck? I always leave my computers on... I don't turn them off at night. I get up in the morning or during the night and the little hard drive light is flashing away and its doing *something* but have no clue what.

Any ideas? I'm worried about burning out the hard drive in the first 2 months!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Is it a brand new computer with Vista or a computer that had XP and then upgraded to Vista? I don't even know if that matters, I've just heard that sometimes people have issues with upgrading OS on a computer they've been using and less problems if the new OS comes on new computer. Could it be a computer problem or settings problem?

I've been using Vista for just over a month now on my new Dell and I love it. I've only encountered one problem with transferring some big CDRs on over which I've seen on their forums others having the same problem but hopefully they have a fix coming down the line for that. But other than that, haven't had any problems at all and prefer it over XP. I leave my computer on all the time too.

Internet Cowboy
    Mac

ABW Ambassador
    Mac

Loxly, you might want to check the Task Scheduler to see if there are any tasks that are scheduled to run overnight. Also your anti-virus and anti-spyware as well as Windows defender apps may be performing updates as well as Windows Update Manager looking for updates for common apps like Java. Windows also indexes files on your system during idle time and is turned on by default.

I've been running Vista on a new machine for about 3 months and while I'm not as thrilled with it as Trust it's actually pretty good (once I figured out how to disable the UAC) and I've had very few problems other than a few compatibility issues installing older programs.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    It's a brand new HP desktop Trust. Yes guys, I *almost* bought a mac this time. I'm also waiting for Sam to come in and say "Ubuntu"

rematt, it does act like it it indexing, I will check out that setting, thanks! I actually thought it was Picassa, because I installed that fairly early on and since I have ... several... external and internal drives (love SATA!!!) attached, it could take days for Picassa to find all the image files.

I won't upgrade my XP machines to Vista, there are already programs I can't run on it, so the desktop I was "replacing" is still a necessary machine. Parts of my Sony movie editing software won't install, which sucks cause I bought the machine to do more of the graphics and video editing. (I know... MAC)
    Deborah Carney

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    We installed Vista on one of my husbands machine at work. We do computer repair and troubleshooting, so we like to have at least one of each windows OS to reference to.

We all HATE Vista. It is awkward, slower than molasses, a real P.I.T.A. We can't get half the work printers installed on it. Part of our high dollar software will not work on it. These are not things that we can just switch out, as they are used network wide and would cost us more than Vista is worth to replace everything to what is compatible with it.

We are also an ISP reseller for a large company and I can tell you that the install/tech guys hate Vista. They have nothing but trouble on those installs.

Needless to say, we don't use that machine for much of anything now. I just sits there looking pretty.

I am getting ready to get a new machine and I know for sure I will NOT be putting Vista on it.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

http and a telephoto
    I'm also getting weary of it asking me 10 times if I want to really rename a directory or move a file.....
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    I am getting ready to get a new machine and I know for sure I will NOT be putting Vista on it.
    I was just wishing at Dell a couple of days ago and was surprised to see that XP is still an option there for a new PC.

I have a new laptop with Vista on it, and the explorer crashes all the time. And I get the same thing: the HDD light is always on even if the computer doesnt do anything for hours... it's still searching something

And it's slower than XP.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I was just wishing at Dell a couple of days ago and was surprised to see that XP is still an option there for a new PC.
    If i had been patient and could have waited for a new computer to be delivered, that is what I should have done. But when I go to order one, I spend more So it was safer to go to the store.

Can I downgrade? That sounds scary!
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I'm also getting weary of it asking me 10 times if I want to really rename a directory or move a file.....
    Turn off the UAC. It drove me batty.

Turn User Account Control on or off

User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

Click to open User Accounts.

Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.
    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I always put my computer on LOW POWER MODE at night, this basically turns the machine off without lossing anything in memory or closing anything open on the desktop. My main reason for this was to reduce the amount of heat the box generates at night so the AC doesn't keep coming on.

If you don't know who to do this just click on the START button and it is the small brown button to the right of the search box.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Loxly, it's ok to leave computers running and should not affect hard drives of today, but if you do leave it running you should at atleast shut it down completely and reboot about once a week or every three days better.

Drives and other components are pretty safe to last a while (if you have a UPS Backup) and software made by MS always has some services runnning in the background whether win 98, XP or Vista. The longer it is continously running also the slower it will get too and if you are connected via dsl or wireless, could be updates going in/out and hackers/viruses getting in and specially if you have Outlook opened and checking emails automatically could be worse.

As far as me and Vista, no upgrades here for sure. One should never upgrade productivity computers, servers (unless they are actual server environments, but even then there are always headaches) or computers you use all day. I will wait until I get my new Dell desktops next few months that will come with Vista pre-installed but it will just be for regular access not much work on it for while.

I might even consider a MAC in future never know.

Hi Deb,

Constant hard drive activity is usually a sign of insufficient memory.

You should have at least 2Gig. One or less will likely give you troubles.

Good Luck,
    Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

For the first week or two vista runs an Index service on your hard drive, when the system is idle it will run the indexing service to index your hard drive so that the search feature can find things for you. After the first few weeks it doesn't do it as much unless you add more documents emails etc to your hard drive. Also the bigger your hard drive the longer it takes, the more hard drives you have the longer it takes.

This does not mean you don't have enough memory etc, it just means Vista is trying not to bog your stystem down while your using it. Instead it runs the indexing service while your system is idle. At night when your not using it.

The reason it takes long is that it also indexes what is inside the file, instead of just file names. You can disable this if it is bothering you.

Another cause is Microsoft Vista backs up your data constantly. This can also be disabled. If you edit a photo or a document, you can right click and select view previous versions and see previous versions. It also backs up your entire documents etc so you can recover them in the event you lose them. This also can be disabled.

If you constantly add data Vista will continue to index your hard drive it only does it when its idle though.

I suggest never rebooting your computer unless you absolutely have to or after an installation of software that requires a reboot and to avoid a required reboot just close running programs during the install. If you do reboot, I suggest you get a memory stick atleast 512MB and stick that in an USB port and when you get the little menu window that you have a device plugged in select ready boost. This will improve your boot time by 10 to 20%. You have to keep the drive in though, the bigger the drive the beter you can partition the drive so it only uses half of it or all of it for ready boost.

To disable indexing: Start > type MSCONFIG > Select Services Tab > Uncheck Windows Search (You will be reverted to just search of file names)

To disable backup: Start > Control Panel > Backup and Restore Center
    Click Change Settings
    Last edited by HardwareGeek; August 10th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

i hate vista with a passion. I miss xp, but I forgot to select XP on my new laptop and I do not want to reconfigure it yet again.

vista sucks.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

What sucks about Vista for you Danay?

I remember when XP was new and everyone said it sucked and people wanted to stick with ME (which really sucked) and Windows 98

Common complaint I hear about Vista is it doesn't have a run button lol which it doesn't need because the run box is right on the start menu.

HG, the fact that I have to "allow" it to use just about every program.

And the networking was just not user friendly, they changed the networking so much I didn't recognize it and had a pretty hard time setting it up.

and mostly, NO ONE has updated drivers for vista. Actually, that's not true, but it sure feels like no one.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

ABW Ambassador
    "HG, the fact that I have to "allow" it to use just about every program."

You can just turn that off - Control Panel - User Accounts - Turn User Account Control on or off

I haven't played with Vista yet, so my opinion is, well, not worth much. In general though, I prefer to let MS products mature for at least a year before jumping on board. FWIW, Windows XP DID suck coming out of the gate (prior to SP2).

MS has a trend of taking a long time to release new products that require some tweaking before they're really quite useful. I enjoy XP (enough, anyway), and like the Vista concept (except for the 2 GB memory requirement...). I see myself migrating that way in about a year and a half. But if I had to buy a new computer today, I think I would make sure it came with XP installed.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Ahh you mean UAC disable it.

Start button > Type MSCONFIG > Tools Tab
    Scroll Down, Click Disable UAC

A CMD Prompt will pop up and say Sucessfull

Reboot the PC.

I kind of like that feature on all accounts but mine because a lot of people click yes to everything with out reading and this forces you to read it.

But it's easily disabled.

ABW Ambassador
    When I had to buy a new computer last month, long thread with me asking all kinds of questions, I was concerned because I would read this and that about Vista. But some of it was from Mac fanatics, some people that had the early versions, not the released to public version, some never actually even used it, were just going on what others were saying and I know there are some who had it and have had some problems. But I don't know if it's any worse then any other time a new OS comes out. I think nowadays things might get amplified a little more with blogs, forums etc then in the past. I went from 98 to XP and now Vista. Like I said besides that one problem I mentioned, smooth and fast. And it's also because it's a new computer with dual core and 2 GB RAM which you should get if you have Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by danay
    HG, the fact that I have to "allow" it to use just about every program.

And the networking was just not user friendly, they changed the networking so much I didn't recognize it and had a pretty hard time setting it up.

and mostly, NO ONE has updated drivers for vista. Actually, that's not true, but it sure feels like no one.
    Or you can do it the way trust said.

What hardware do you have that doesn't have Vista drivers/

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    When I had to buy a new computer last month, long thread with me asking all kinds of questions, I was concerned because I would read this and that about Vista. But some of it was from Mac fanatics, some people that had the early versions, not the released to public version, some never actually even used it, were just going on what others were saying and I know there are some who had it and have had some problems. But I don't know if it's any worse then any other time a new OS comes out. I think nowadays things might get amplified a little more with blogs, forums etc then in the past. I went from 98 to XP and now Vista. Like I said besides that one problem I mentioned, smooth and fast. And it's also because it's a new computer with dual core and 2 GB RAM which you should get if you have Vista.
    Agreed, a lot of people have not used Vista but echo what other people have said about it that isn't true.

I have Vista Ultimate on all of my Desktops and all of my laptops

I just got 5 toshibas yesterday all with Vista Ultimate
    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/s...ad.php?t=33849

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast