ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I looked at quite a few posts with the search function, and I am curious as to why shopping portals work.

Do people actually search for things like that? What are visitors looking for when they encounter a shopping portal? I mean, these are nothing more than listings of merchants and descriptions of merchandise offered by merchants.

I might still be stuck in my "content is king" phase, but I don't see any other way to getting visitors.

Content is king but your definition of content is most likely wrong.
    Descriptive text selling a specific product is very much "content".

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Content is king but your definition of content is most likely wrong.
    Descriptive text selling a specific product is very much "content".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The site I saw (buckworks was listed a few times in the past threads) is nothing more than a yahoo-type directory of merchants. I didn't see product listings and descriptions, just lists of stores and a broad description of what they sell.

You said it yourself

"and a broad description of what they sell."

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Revenue is King, without it nothing else keeps happening in the world of business. And the non-business world is a pretty sorry place without Revenue, too!

And personally, I don't know why the broad description on a shopping portal works any better on one of those sites, than it would on any SE. That low-key stuff isn't what gets *my* CCs out!

It just shows that different buyers respond to different approaches, I think. Some people just want a gentle guidance in the direction of a store, while others want a more solid, "Shop at THIS place!" approach.

And for the definition of c*ntent, when I say it I am referring to the kind that Search Engine Forums (You know, those blighters who call affiliate sites "spam") would love. "Informative, full of interesting content, etc." Blegh, Gag me! But TECHNICALLY it is true that a sales pitch can be called "content". However, if someone says they have a "content site"--they AREN'T talking about a Revenue site, 99.999% of the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I might still be stuck in my "content is king" phase, but I don't see any other way to getting visitors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some quickie answers:

Search Engine Optimization. A robot can't tell non-sales text from sales text. So it might as well be sales text!

Open the Wallet. Inktomi, Google Ad-Words, and other means of paid exposure. I use Ink, but others have reported decent results with Ad-Words (I haven't tried Ad-Words myself).

Some have said they do well with offline advertising, as well.

A lucky few can get their local TV station to do a piece on them. Some of those have c*ntent (non-sales information) sites, but not all. Local business/entrepreneurship is of interest to some stations.

It's a myth that there's only one way to get traffic.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

That 99.999% of people leader refers to don't have a pot to piss in either so keep that in mind when speaking with them. You're much better off listening to Leader.

I think a Shopping Portal itself is not that bad (of course I do, because I have one ).

It's already a specialization.

Classic Search Engines do not distinguish between Online Merchants and other sites.
    Meaning, that the search results are not targeted. Many people are overwhelmed by the flood of information they get from regular SE's.

That's the niche for shopping portals.

But, I believe, that Shopping Portal, who only rely on Search Engine Optimization without beeing innovative will not make it in the long ground.

We rely on it right now, but we are working hard, to make those SE visitors returning visitors of our site.
    That includes to provide something more than just a listing of online merchants.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

For all of you working so hard with content or not to keep a given visitor returning to your site, remember that once he or she has clicked on all of your merchants and bought something or not, when the cookies placed in his or her browser expires, that visitor is of no value to you. After that time the visitor is just burning bandwidth. Worry about acquiring fresh targeted visitors and then hope they will return before cookie expires, which in some cases is the moment they make a purchase.

As for as the question: Why do people come to shopping portals? They come because they want to buy something. They are not interested in information supplied by *content* sites when they are in the mood to shop. I have enough merchants on my sites that supply good content if that strikes an interest while they are shopping. No need for me to spend many hours trying to find fresh usable content. There are enough sites aready doing that and few of them make any money.

Gene
    TCS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCS:

For all of you working so hard with content or not to keep a given visitor returning to your site, remember that once he or she has clicked on all of your merchants and bought something or not, when the cookies placed in his or her browser expires, that visitor is of no value to you. After that time the visitor is just burning bandwidth. Worry about acquiring fresh targeted visitors and then hope they will return before cookie expires, which in some cases is the moment they make a purchase.

As for as the question: Why do people come to shopping portals? They come because they want to buy something. They are not interested in information supplied by *content* sites when they are in the mood to shop. I have enough merchants on my sites that supply good content if that strikes an interest while they are shopping. No need for me to spend many hours trying to find fresh usable content. There are enough sites aready doing that and few of them make any money.

Gene
    TCS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, That's why is it important for a Shopping Portal to provide more than a List of Merchants. Its important to provide the customer MORE, to make him coming back (and refreshing his cookie ).

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

ABW Ambassador
    I as well do not think this is a long term viable way to make money. SE's will change. But.. at the moment it is a way that a lot of people are making $$.. just like sending spam mail...

Enjoy it while it lasts

Edited to add: Of course that is just my opinion. Maybe in 5 years the traffic filter sites will still be doing well... It will definitely be interesting.

If a merchant does not have a renewable cookie, a returning shopper does not get refreshed. That is why merchants have limited cookies. They know affilialtes are working hard to have returning shoppers. After the cookie expires, they own your shopper and you get no commission. Free advertising. (non-commissionable purchase)

This is why if a merchant were to level with us, he would have a never ending cookie to place on the shopper's browser. Then we would only have to worry about it being over written by another affiliates efforts or the much hated parasites.

all you need is a popup to delay for about 10 minutes after they leave your site to re install the cookie.

Is that possible?

Heyder

Please elaborate. Your statement makes no sense to me. Do you know something I don't?

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Revenue is King, without it nothing else keeps happening in the world of business. And the non-business world is a pretty sorry place without Revenue, too!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't disagree with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And personally, I don't know why the broad description on a shopping portal works any better on one of those sites, than it would on any SE. That low-key stuff isn't what gets *my* CCs out!

It just shows that different buyers respond to different approaches, I think. Some people just want a gentle guidance in the direction of a store, while others want a more solid, "Shop at THIS place!" approach.

And for the definition of c*ntent, when I say it I am referring to the kind that Search Engine Forums (You know, those blighters who call affiliate sites "spam") would love. "Informative, full of interesting content, etc." Blegh, Gag me! But TECHNICALLY it is true that a sales pitch can be called "content". However, if someone says they have a "content site"--they AREN'T talking about a Revenue site, 99.999% of the time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read some of your earlier posts, and I'm making an affiliate sub-site of an existing content site (mostly to take advantage of several PR6 pages in the site).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I might still be stuck in my "content is king" phase, but I don't see any other way to getting visitors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some quickie answers:

Search Engine Optimization. A robot can't tell non-sales text from sales text. So it might as well be sales text!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never thought of it that way. I just have to find products with little turnover (that eliminates most electronics) and lots of demand. I can think of two product areas where I think I can excel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Open the Wallet. Inktomi, Google Ad-Words, and other means of paid exposure. I use Ink, but others have reported decent results with Ad-Words (I haven't tried Ad-Words myself).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Already in Inktomi, and I didn't pay for it. (Still scratching my head, but not losing sleep!)

I need more affiliate pages before I feel comfortable buying traffic.

Some have said they do well with offline advertising, as well.

A lucky few can get their local TV station to do a piece on them. Some of those have c*ntent (non-sales information) sites, but not all. Local business/entrepreneurship is of interest to some stations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There's a column in my local newspaper that sheds light on local businesses. Might be worth a shot for a few hits.

It's a myth that there's only one way to get traffic.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for this post!

TCS it was more of a brainstorm/question. The idea is to reset the cookie on your own.

ABW Ambassador
    This has me thinking that I should keep a domain I've been sitting on for 3 weeks and make a niche-directory (it falls between niche and directory ), then see what happens in a couple months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    I as well do not think this is a long term viable way to make money. SE's will change. But.. at the moment it is a way that a lot of people are making $$.. just like sending spam mail...

Enjoy it while it lasts

Edited to add: Of course that is just my opinion. Maybe in 5 years the traffic filter sites will still be doing well... It will definitely be interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can someone please explain what a "traffic filter" site is? Thanks.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure.
    - M. Twain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    Edited to add: Of course that is just my opinion. Maybe in 5 years the traffic filter sites will still be doing well... It will definitely be interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 Years are an eternity. Nothing will be like today in 5 Years. Look back to what was 5 years ago and you will know what I mean .

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If a merchant does not have a renewable cookie, a returning shopper does not get refreshed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is non-renewable cookies? and which sites have them? I want to make sure I avoid such merchants.

boom!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    all you need is a popup to delay for about 10 minutes after they leave your site to re install the cookie.

Is that possible?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe so - I'm sure I've seen the script for sale. I think it was a site specializing in scripts for "adult sites" - some very expensive scripts , so there must be money in p*rn after all. PM me if you're seriously interested and I'll try to find it again.

Are you Crazy?

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread