Do the search engines Penalize the Java aff. links less than html.
    I am wondering if the search engines spiders recognize the Javascript aff. links less than standard affiliate links.
    Last edited by RSnapper; August 10th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I didn't realize the SE's penalize affiliate links.

That would be the first question. Do they penalize affiliate links? I have heard different views and read discussions about cloaking affiliate links for seo purposes?

Seymour Butts, I have read your book, "Under The Grand Stands".

Almost as good as "Rusty Bedsprings" by I.P. Nightly.

ABW Ambassador
    No they don't penalize affiliate links and I think you mean javascript links, not java and you're fine there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    No they don't penalize affiliate links and I think you mean javascript links, not java and you're fine there too.
    Java, Javascripts ..... 220, 221, whatever it takes.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What did you use a 38?

38, 39 whatever it took

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The problem with javascript aff links is the percentage of people that have java turned off. Look it up what that number is on websites, or your sites. Some people say around 2 - 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    The problem with javascript aff links is the percentage of people that have java turned off. Look it up what that number is on websites, or your sites. Some people say around 2 - 5%.
    I checked it on my shopping site, and its 0.39% for me.

I don't think the issue is that SE's reject Javascript links, so much as these types of links just aren't SE friendly. Javascript links in your html code only contain the javascript. They don't contain any of the actual text that the script calls to the page. So SE's never see the text and therefore never pick up any of the content called by the javascript.

At least that's how I understand it to work with RSS feeds and such. I haven't actually used CJ javascript product links, but I am assuming they work the same way.

Rich

I agree that the search engines don't penalize aff links, javascript or not. The problem I have with javascript links is I can't track them through my redirect system, so I stay away from them. I like to have a record of every outgoing click from my site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have little doubt that search engines, especially Google, punish affilliate links. You can overcome the effect - but it takes some true added value like original content, price comparisons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by southernmost
    I have little doubt that search engines, especially Google, punish affilliate links. You can overcome the effect - but it takes some true added value like original content, price comparisons, etc.
    Google doesn't punish you for having affiliate links on your site. The only reason you'd rank poorly with affiliate links is if your site has little to no value and few incoming links.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Too many javascripts on your page (particularly near the top of your source code) could hinder your ability to raise your rankings in search engines. On one of my popular sites, I eliminated all my javascripts and in less than a month, my rankings went from the 50's to the top 10 for a great keyword.

So while regular affiliate links won't hurt you (at least that's my experience), too much javascript could. IMHO

JavaScript links are used by some people because search engines generally do not follow JavaScript links because they do not execute JavaScript. They can, however, follow some JavaScript links if they use fully formed URLs.

Regardless of which type of links you use, it may be a good idea to use the rel="nofollow" attribute in your affiliate hyperlinks. That tells the search engines to disregard the links. It doesn't always stop them from following the links, but they generally disregard links that use that attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    It has nothing to do with Java being turned off. Java and JavaScript are two different languages.

Java is primarily a server-side language, although you can run downloaded Java applets in your browser if a Java plug-in is installed. Sun Microsystems developed Java.

JavaScript is primarily a client-side language that is embedded in all browsers. You can turn off JavaScript in your browser and it is disabled if you set the security to High in Internet Explorer. JavaScript was developed by Netscape.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Those with JavaScript turned off would probably never buy anything online anyway.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread