Today I have received this letter :

Dear eBay publisher,

It is my pleasure to announce that this fall Commission Junction will be introducing some exciting changes to our product offering. In support of these introductions, Commission Junction has partnered with eBay, one of our premier advertisers, to implement these latest products and services. As a publisher joined to eBay's program, you will soon benefit from these upgrades with new opportunities to earn additional commissions. Watch for upcoming announcements from eBay that will describe how you can take advantage of the new product features.

The testing and implementation phase of the migration process begins October 7, 2002. The impact to your publisher account will be a temporary delay in reporting of eBay transactions during the period beginning October 7th and ending October 18th. Commission Junction will continue to track all transactions during this time and will work closely with the eBay team to ensure no interruption in publisher earnings or payment. By October 19th, all eBay transactions for activity between October 7th and October 18th will appear in your publisher performance reports.

If you have any questions about the temporary delay in eBay reporting, please send a question to Client Services. Login to your account and click on "Ask A Question" in the Support drop-down menu within the account manager.

Regards,

Lisa A. Riolo
    Vice President, Client Management
    Commission Junction

What you think about this ?

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's quite mysterious.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    It is good news.

It is good news.

Repeat after me - it is good news.

They are my last performing CJ merchant. It has to be good news, right?

Chet

quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    It is good news.

It is good news.

Repeat after me - it is good news.

They are my last performing CJ merchant. It has to be good news, right?

Chet

Mine too. So right, it has to be good news. I've been putting a lot of effort into them the past few weeks.

Fingers crossed.

Chet,

quote:
    They are my last performing CJ merchant.

[Notflaming]I thought CJ booted you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img][/Notflaming]

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

I'm willing to bet that they're going to change things so that you don't get credited with a sale until the person bids, instead of going through the complex reversal process.

Their chargeback rate is approaching 40%. That's not good. I wonder if CJ gets paid for a charged-back transaction no matter what.

Of course, their EPC will drop, but people are more sensitive to chargeback, I think, because it's easier to spot a bad number here. Anyone can tell you that a 40% chargeback rate is high, but could a non-expert tell you if a $3 EPC is good or bad?

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, never put all your eggs in one basket. I have a large variety of sites. They didn't like one. The site that does well with ebay wouldn't even upset your grandma.

Just checked my mail, it is good news. Credit for sellers now and a quicker locking of transactions. Woohoo! Ebay really is a good company, just look at what they did with providing health care opportunities for their big sellers.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Ralph Said, "Their chargeback rate is approaching 40%. That's not good. I wonder if CJ gets paid for a charged-back transaction no matter what."

To the best of my knowledge CJ only makes money on valid transactions.

Keep in mind that chargeback is NOT a percentage rate of all transactions. This confuses a lot of people. At CJ they report the % of dollars reversed.

This can be from fraud, duplicate transactions, etc. So an advertiser can reverse only one $10,000 fraudulent order and it would look "bad".

If you see a high amount of $ reversed and a high EPC and volume ranking I wouldn't worry about it. If you see a lot of dollars reversed and a poor volume ranking or a poor EPC then you should check into more closely.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it might have something to do with eBay having aqcuired PayPal.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Well, if it's payments for seller sign-up's as well, then I'm gonna be a happy wee pixie.

And yes, maybe CJ will start making affiliate payments via PayPal as an option?

That could be it - the big hint is at the start of the email - it talks about _CJ_ making some changes and _eBay_ partnering with them to do it, so it's going to be a global change across CJ and they're only _testing_ it on the eBay affiliates.

I think the email explains things pretty clearly. eBay is taking advantage of a new product we are releasing in October.

The new product is great and it will make their program much better.

The wait isn't that long, but I know curiousity makes it seem longer.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I like traffic lights
    Sounds exciting!

But 11 days waiting for eBay transactions to show up will seem like an eternity.

I'll need something to do for those 11 days to take my mind of things.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you think you'll be able to bid on auctions from publisher sites?

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

quote:
    Do you think you'll be able to bid on auctions from publisher sites?

I would love that! What a great way to increase conversions! I guess you could sort of do that in a frame, although I'm pretty sure placing eBay in a frame is against the TOS.

Guess we'll just have to wait to find out.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    although I'm pretty sure placing eBay in a frame is against the TOS.

does anyone know this for sure? I was about to ask about this...

Wanna race? - online drag racing.

Of course it is -- otherwise you could put the eBay with your affiliate ID in the IFRAME on a page that, when viewed by a visitor, would set the cookie to your site even though the visitor didn't click to go to eBay.

Then you would get credit for them if they signed up for eBay by themselves, or bid on something without doing so from your site.

This is what that auction image hosting company was doing, when someone clicked on an eBay auction to view the image, they opened an eBay window with their affiliate ID in a separate window. They were stealing commissions from anyone who had referred a visitor to eBay but that visitor had not yet registered.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

I'm just about ready to drop ebay as they are such a poor performer and because of the reversals. However, if they could come up with something where my customers could bid on items from my site, I would certainly reconsider. Hope it is something that good.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing
    "Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

I bet the change is not so much a change in the way eBay does business, but a change prompted by the mystery-enshrouded launch of new CJ services at the end of this month. (Timed with CJ university, maybe?)

It seems like every time I've called CJ to ask a question, they've told me, "That will be changed at the end of October." eBay must just be the golden beta-tester for CJ 2.0 or whatever the new system is.

I know we'll be taking advantage of some new features... I'm sure anxious to see how it all turns out, anyway!

Tom Dalton
    Franklin Covey Marketing Network Manager
    tom@10xmarketing.com

"An ounce of prevention is actually worth seven or eight metric tons of cure in today's economy."

ABW Ambassador
    Launching eBay in a frame automatically isn't what I had in mind...I want to have a link that, when clicked, will open eBay in the bottom frame...I checked & have the go-ahead from JCWhitney...the cookies would be set the same, right?

Wanna race? - online drag racing.

I like traffic lights
    It could just be my vivid imagination, but I'd SWEAR that since the eBay transaction tap was switched off, that my transaction count for other merchants has leapt.

It's as if the sheer volume of eBay transactions going through the CJ system was causing a bottle-neck in the system SOMEWHERE and those other transactions were getting lost in the ether.

Anyone else notice this phen errr this fenom err this strange occurence?

quote:

Not yet, but I hope to - 90% of my transactions this month have been eBay, and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through the "empty time" without seeing nickels racked up in my reports in CJ.

--- Bobbi

ABW Ambassador
    I cannot understand why anyone is still with ebay. They absolutely do not need anything but brand recognition.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Why still with eBay? Well, they convert. And yeah, they are, at times, frustrating to work with. But they convert.

Additionally, their search box works wonders for any pages you have where people are looking for specific items.

"Can't find what you're looking for? Try eBay!"

It's amazing how often that search box gets used, and, ummm......they convert!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

quote:
    Originally posted by Drewbert:

Yes, I noticed this as well. I was wondering if all the scumware merchants had gone bankrupt or something.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread