SiteAdvisor shows merchant as "spammy"
    I was checking some newly changed pages' links and I noticed that visiting the site of one merchant showed red on SiteAdvisor. Their report says the merchant is spammy. This merchant has a good privacy policy posted saying they do not spam. I don't think they are the culprits, but I don't feel right telling the merchant about it - I do not think they are even aware of it. They don't have an AM that I know of so is there anyone that can/should let them know about this?
    I started to click on the "contact merchant" link in my SAS account but feel like it isn't my place to ask them why they are showing as "spammy" and what they plan to do about it..
    SiteAdvisor also shows them as being linked to some unsavories. Is there anyone at SAS that handles things like this? My concern is that some folks do use SiteAdvisor and won't shop there. Don't know if SiteAdvisors findings are used by any of the new security features on browsers either(?) that would cut back on shoppers as well.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google (Microsoft) MSN and now the Yahoo PPC Advisory folks all are on board with www.StopBadware.org seeking out junk and malicious traffic spammers. Those millions with www.SiteAdvisor.com installed are the single most effective source for enduser SERP and PPC complaints and "Test this site" inquiries. Let's just call them "outraged victims" of aggressive affiliate/publisher spammers seeking any means to set commission cookies or PPC click and BHO infestation fees.

SAS and other affiliate network merchants seek out and prize successful affiliate spam operations often calling them Super Affiliates. They confuse traffic manipulators with traffic originators.

All the major SE's running PPC get to view aggregrate data from SERP/PPC click interaction with landing pages. They take note of the amount of time and site nav depth those searchers have with the landing pages. Then use the aggregrate data to quality score the links and the landing pages. Problem is they don't get to look under the landing pages that exploit their searchers with browser BHO hijacks, spyware bugs and deceptive e-mail spam traps. SiteAdvisor does.

Sure Google and a few other SE's give great credence to Siteadvisor RED Flag landing pages or they wouldn't block/Ban domains from getting ANY click traffic directly from their free or paid links. They compare Siteadvisor results with their own QC data mining and hit the "do not send traffic" button.

Amazingly, as they sit back and listen to blacklisted site owners plead to get unblocked they uncover the majority are just thin affiliate sites. Who other then affiliates and MFA or "get paid to ??? types would try to game the link system? They've been gaming the affiliate network cookie system for years and all affiliates get tainted by the stench.

The SE's see with Analytics and data mining, like I do, where the traffic influencer/manipulator generates a steady flow of 5 second visitors with 100% bounce rates. You can bet the OUT these sources to the SiteAdvisor and StopBadware.org team to get them to shut down these internet pollutors. Small wonder many turn out to be e-mail spammers too.
    Last edited by Leader; August 12th, 2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fixed SiteAdvisor link
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I started to click on the "contact merchant" link in my SAS account but feel like it isn't my place to ask them why they are showing as "spammy" and what they plan to do about it
    I would let them know, in the past I email two merchants to tell them that McAfee SiteAdvisor had them as RED (it was their live help that was causing their problem) After sending the email I removed all their links. Once they had the problem corrected and McAfee had them back to Green I put their links back on my sites.

I have more than a few links to these folks, they are my best converting merchant and have been in business online for nearly a decade. I really do not think they are suddenly "bad guys", they were clean last month. I did notify them via the "Contact" link and they have taken no action but I don't know if they have received the message either. I see that one of the links shown in the McAfee report is Whizmail.cc. Has anyone heard of Whizmail?

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I have more than a few links to these folks, they are my best converting merchant and have been in business online for nearly a decade. I really do not think they are suddenly "bad guys", they were clean last month. I did notify them via the "Contact" link and they have taken no action but I don't know if they have received the message either. I see that one of the links shown in the McAfee report is Whizmail.cc. Has anyone heard of Whizmail?
    I agree they may not be "bad guys" but it is not what you think of the merchants it is what your visitors see (if they are using McAfee SiteAdvisor) If I am directed to a Red Site I stop visiting the Site that is Red and The site that told me to go their.

Just my 2 cents, but contacting the merchant is the right thing to do so that can address the problem.

You are right about possibly losing my own traffic as well, kse. Either way, that's what does matter.

I called the merchant today, he said he hasn't seen the message I sent him through SAS (probably because he hasn't logged in) but he knew nothing about any spam and seemed quite upset about having been found "spammy". He had never heard of Site Advisor, did not know that Windows Security does similar things. I have not quit the merchant yet but links are down.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread