Harnessing Ideas
    When I'm working, sleeping, showering, etc, I am flooded with ideas for new sites, new posts, new ways of advertising, etc.

I really feel that my blogs are helpful, unique, useful to visitors, but am also seeing the potential for a small income with advertiser support.

what are some strategies you use to reign in all the creative thoughts? Seems that as soon as I sit down at the computer, they all vanish, or else I am ineffectively googling from one topic to another looking for an available domain name or existing niche blogs.

Just wondering what organizational strategies you use.

I think that I've learned that entrepreneurial types seem to have a constant flow of ideas...I don't know how I'll ever have time to manage them all, at least not if I want a life outside of the internet! (let alone work).

Talking
    Why don't you make a written list of 15 or 20 of your ideas and then start doing them one at a time and check off each one as you complete then.

When they are all done - make a new list and start over again on the new list.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Well, that's easier said than done.

I do make checklists, but I have so many thoughts racing around that finishing one before starting another...well, in 40 years of life I've never been able to do that.

I guess I'm looking for specific strategies and tricks people use to move forward on tasks without losing sight of others.

I'm always coming up with new ideas. I have various methods of organizing things but the most effective way is with a college ruled spiral notebook, preferably with divided sections. This way I have separate sections for current and future projects, ideas, to-do lists, etc. I have several of these notebooks but I drag the main one around with me pretty much wherever I go. I also use steno pads and 4x6 index cards to jot down short-term items.

The sad reality is that I'll never be able to implement all of my ideas and so I narrow things down to what will actually produce income, or those things that will facilitate the production of income.

Every few days I prioritize the most important tasks, crossing things off as they are completed and adding new projects that are relevant.

I really don't have any advice to share other than that it's important to maintain clarity and focus, because it's super easy to get sidetracked with all of the information, world events and everything else that we are bombarded with. It's especially critical to maintain focus in the affiliate marketing business, since we encounter another lucrative money-making opportunity every two minutes

I actually set up a private Wiki for myself at Zoho.com. Then, as ideas are actively being worked (each has it's own well titled page) on and modified there, they show up on the recently changed pages list. If an idea is not being worked on, it drops off the Top 10 automatically, or at least falls farther down the list. But it's never lost.

I make sure I spend 15 minutes on each of those "active" pages per day, and more than that if they are getting a lot of traction.

It's also a good place to note all the Google research you're talking about, so I don't have to re-search it all later.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

CPA Network Rep
    Suzanne I sympathize with you. It's like there's a continuous download of ideas into my brain and not enough storage capacity!

When I'm not panicking about losing track of a cool idea, I'm applying a more faith-based approach. Instead of making never ending lists of every idea that's come to mind, I just trust that the ideas that I SHOULD pursue will maintain an appropriate position in my conscious thought.

In other words, I don't worry about it. The ideas I SHOULD follow through on will NOT be lost. Somehow they'll bubble up to the forefront of my mind again or something in my daily journey will trigger my memory of them.

I've found that without this type of faith I am lost in too much second guessing. For instance, I could write EVERYTHING down and have lists of gargantuan proportions. But even still I'd be faced with having to decide which of these thousands of entries are the "right" ones to pursue.

Good luck to us all!

Hi Suzzane,

A lot of big earners on the net started out with simple ideas and put their heart into it and eventually made it big Think of things that you want to do, that you love doing and back it up with hardwork, knowledge, passion and dedication - the basic formula for success in this industry! Also keep in mind that patience is a virtue. It may not always work at first, but don't give up! The next day always brings new hope

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I actually set up a private Wiki for myself at Zoho.com. Then, as ideas are actively being worked (each has it's own well titled page) on and modified there, they show up on the recently changed pages list. If an idea is not being worked on, it drops off the Top 10 automatically, or at least falls farther down the list. But it's never lost.

I make sure I spend 15 minutes on each of those "active" pages per day, and more than that if they are getting a lot of traction.

It's also a good place to note all the Google research you're talking about, so I don't have to re-search it all later.
    Noth how effective has this been for you? Do you feel it's easier than just writing things down in notebooks or such?

Yes! As long as Zoho doesn't go out of business....

I love having what amounts to my own voting system of voting/relevance. If the project is worth working on, it will stay near the top since I'll likely be adding to the wiki page. If it's a random thought, on it's own page, it's never going to disappear, but it won't be in my way every day eaither.

And how well does the search feature work in your notebook?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

This has been a huge problem for me with music composition. I'd absolutely LOVE your suggestions, too.

I require 1-2 hours of idle brain time in order to write a song, but with my schedule that typically happens only when I'm shut down for the day - in bed, fast asleep.

Typically I'll have a dream in which I'm playing a song that doesn't exist yet. I'm usually successful at waking myself up when the dream is happening - the problem is getting over the sleepy haze quickly enough to translate the idea into something I will remember. I've tried it all:

-Laptop by the bed
    -Notebook
    -Camcorder by the bed
    -Guitar by the bed
    -Tape recorder.

So far, nothing's worked and I've wasted 2-3 albums worth of good ideas.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Yes! As long as Zoho doesn't go out of business....

I love having what amounts to my own voting system of voting/relevance. If the project is worth working on, it will stay near the top since I'll likely be adding to the wiki page. If it's a random thought, on it's own page, it's never going to disappear, but it won't be in my way every day eaither.

And how well does the search feature work in your notebook?
    I have used notebooks for years, and still have most of them. It's great being able to go back through them and see certain things. I doubt I will give that part of it up. Search feature actually works great as sometimes I just browse to see what I was doing that day. (each day gets a new page(s))

However, my new tablet PC, Zoho (I wasn't using their wiki feature in the way you indicated) and a couple of other things make such ideas work for me.

Just curious how it works for you and I might give that a try. Thanks!

My pleasure. We're here to help
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Great ideas, guys & gals, thanks. Little by little I try to implement one new idea each day.

I try to focus on my ideas I think will actually work - and I try to not spread myself too thin. There are a million great business ideas out there, but you can't be successful unless you focus. For example, I think it's better to have a handful of really good sites rather than 50 mediocre ones.
    Last edited by Zdig; August 16th, 2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Goodluck Suzanne! Just be persistent as it doesn't always work out at first!

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Do you feel it's easier than just writing things down in notebooks or such?
    I use a combination of notebooks and "private blogs."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You should check out BackPack from 37 Signals. It's a great to do/notetaking web application that I've been using for years. Really easy to use, really useful, and free.

http://www.backpackit.com/
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

What terrific ideas! I love the idea of using the wiki; I'll be checking that out. Thank you all.

The best advice I ever received was a whiteboard. Write down your ideas.. like a top 10 list.. and keep the whiteboard visible.

I've tried everything - this is the only way I can actually accomplish anything big. It stares at me during the day, and I get a real kick out of erasing something...

I try to write down all of the ideas, good or bad (because maybe some day I will expand on it and it will be good), in a notebook. The top ideas that I really think are viable and I intend to work on, I also write on a dry erase board that hangs near my desk. At least that way it is in my face everyday and I tend to work on it more.

Kristen

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread