ABW Ambassador
    Can a moderator clarify this rule to me? Theres a post on the BeFree forum that lists a lot of affiliate sites, maybe some members here. I know it was an email, but it was in an email, i don't like these things posted in forums. I noticed some other posts with urls that might be members urls. If we see our url posted and tell a mod to remove it, they now would know our url. Some have no problem posting their urls or even having them in the sig. But others would like to keep this info private.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

Well I will try an give my take on it.

A while back at CJU an one member being a complete jerk researched and figured out another members url, real name, sex etc. and mixed it in with any dirt he could manage to scrounge up true or not. This person had the intent of ruining the other person as much as he could.

Now there are other cases where members simply don't want their urls exposed and we have the rule for that reason. The rule is that we don't expose a url which means assign a url with an abw identity. I think it would be ridiculous to not allow the postings of any urls as would have to be the case if you want complete protection like you are suggesting.

Anyone can post any url they want as long as it's not done to expose a member.

ABW Ambassador
    The post here is wrong place, too late.

The "merchant" should never have breached the affiliates' confidentiality. Now Whenu has a handy-dandy list of sites to add to their database.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

The merchant should NOT have freely posted the urls, and reposting of the email that many would have gotten anyway, would not be considered a violation of of ABW Rules as they would pertain to events like the incident Heyder described above.

And sadly enough Deelz is right, I'm sure we'll see many of them listed in the savenow.db as popupat

I posted one URL in Search Engine Insight, but it wasn't meant to expose any member and I don't think that URL belongs to any ABW member, anyway.

But, WARHEAD has found my site and posted my "real name" then exposed my another site by giving its Google ranking.

Haiko, I hope you'll consider my PM regarding this matter.

Sambay you posted your own url, anyone can look up your real name from that.

You posted another affiliates url and then asked us all to help you report it as spam in order to help your own rankings. You exposed your site because of you own dirty intensions.

I am still reviewing this issue with the moderators. I am not happy at all how that thread developed.

Warhead,

Before anything, you've posted my real name on ABW without my prior approval and violated following ABW rule:

"Identity Exposing
    Any member who posts another members real name or other personal information, without the member's prior approval, shall immediately be banned."

That's enough to "immedidately be banned".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Sambay you posted your own url, anyone can look up your real name from that. / Warhead.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should not have posted my real name no matter what.

I have not posted the URL you exposed by giving it's Google ranking, that was a different site.

I did not ask you to report that particular site as a spam. I explained what I did, and recommended you do the same.

ABW has a "Spam" section where anything related to Spam can be posted. Only thing I did wrong was to choose a wrong board for my post.

Google says:
    "Trying to deceive (spam) our web crawler by means of hidden text, deceptive cloaking or doorway pages compromises the quality of our results and degrades the search experience for everyone. We think that's a bad thing."

I agree with them and I do what I think is right. That doesn't give you the right to expose my real name or URL!

I was angry about all this yesterday and I've considered a lot of options and I came to the conclusion today that if you all want to turn each other in, go ahead. Thats totally ok with me.

spambay, You tried to trick ABW members into helping you get a higher SE rank. The only thing thats been exposed is your motive. I didn't even notice that was a different site until you said. It has such a similar url, look, content and layout, kind of like a mirror site. You link to sites that crosslink and you crosslink your own sites. Kind of spammy for someone so concerned about spam?

I should imagine the owner of that site will see ABW in his logs and backtrack through your posts until he finds your URL and then he will do a little research and come to the same conclusion I did. I wonder if he will file a little report of his own? I bet he will be pretty upset. If I where you I would ask a moderator to remove anything that could lead anyone to your site and then you could have peace of mind when you post other peoples URL's.

Have a nice weekend

I just thought, it could really be quite disaterous for you if they decide You've been slandering them or caused them loss of earnings.

Off to bed now, sleep well

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm closing this thread until review has been completed. Any further issues should be PM'ed to Haiko

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread