Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best way to market on the Internet, free?
    I would like to know what, in your opinion, is the best (most effective) way to market a product or service on the Internet, free? Is it through articles?

ABW Ambassador
    READ seobook.com

Here are some ways you could market your website:

Free methods:
    Submission to SE's and directories
    Email campaign
    Forums, blogs and board postings to targetted audience
    Social Bookmarking
    Offline campaigns
    Etc. etc.

Premium ways: (Should require a budget)
    Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
    Targetted Link backs
    SEO
    Ad spaces
    Etc. Etc.

Just always keep in mind that patience is a virtue in our industry. Hope my suggestions help out.

Goodluck!

Pm me if you need more advice...

I would say;

1. Traffic Exchanges (manual..not those auto ones)
    2. Forums/Articles submission.
    3. Adwords(if you have the dough, bacause it can be pretty expensive)

With the exception of Adam, I doubt any of you will have PM privileges yet, just so you know.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Viral marketing!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Craig's List

Thumbs up Can one advertise affiliate programs on Craig list
    Quote Originally Posted by love2AM
    Craig's List
    Can one advertise affiliate programs on craiglist?

I think so, I have never tried it, but I know it's free. I think it's worth a try.

No, you generally can NOT advertise affiliate programs on Craig's List.

You can post what you like, but you have to follow these guidelines:

miscategorized - wrong category/site, discusses another ad, otherwise misplaced
    prohibited - violates craigslist Terms of Use or other posted guidelines
    spam/overpost - posted too frequently, in multiple cities/categories, or is too commercial

Correction: Craigslist Prohibits Affiliate Links
    No, Love2AM, you cannot "post what you like." Craigslist expressly prohibits affiliate advertising:

From the CraigsList Terms of Use:

> 7. CONDUCT. You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content: * * *
    > k) that constitutes or contains "affiliate marketing," "link referral code," * * * <

It's interesting that you claim to know about the rules at CraigsList, yet you claim that you've never posted there. Since your claims about the rules are completely inaccurate, I suspect that you've posted on CraigsList and had your posts flagged, perhaps many times. Apparently your repeated posts here are intended to induce others to spam the Craigslist system, thereby making it less effective for consumers and advertisers.

Like so many other spammers, you apparently you believe that "it's OK to do whatever I can get away with." It's not.

I also notice that in prior posts and in your profile, you identify yourself as the affiliate manager for a "real estate foreclosure listings" affiliate program at Commission Junction. Clearly, I wouldn't want to work with any merchant who would entrust their affiliate program to someone with such shaky ethics. (And what a successful venture it must be, since you carry third-party advertising on your home page!)
    Last edited by markwelch; August 14th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Posting to StumbleUpon.com has _by far_ been the most effective form of free advertising I have ever tried.

Second is digg.com

Third is netscape.com

Had about 700 visitors yesterday thanks to a post I made to stumbleupon last month, and fortunately about 20 other people voted for it. That heavy traffic continues on into today as well, with about 400 visitors already today... and it's all free traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Posting to StumbleUpon.com has _by far_ been the most effective form of free advertising I have ever tried.

Second is digg.com

Third is netscape.com

Had about 700 visitors yesterday thanks to a post I made to stumbleupon last month, and fortunately about 20 other people voted for it. That heavy traffic continues on into today as well, with about 400 visitors already today... and it's all free traffic.

Thanks for the tip...I will try this out.

I only know "free" is the first step of many business website.
    With limited or no budgets, free is very charming.

[sig removed]
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; September 4th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

I find StumleUpon traffic is very poor quality and untargeted. I have gotten hundred of visits a day from it, and no conversions. Also, most people visit for only a few seconds and then hit the "Stumble!" button again.

Markwelch,

Since you have never met me, I am glad you are so quick to make judgments. You don't have to be so nasty in your posts, you could have just told me I had missed reading the Terms of Use on Craigslist.

Also, do you think I own the web site I work for? I have no control over the advertising on our web site. Also, if you checked my program more carefully, you would see that we don't send users to our home page to get them to convert! Actually, the program is extremely successful.

I think you should keep your nasty comments to yourself. I am here to learn and interact with the online marketing community, not to get insulted by you.

Talking this is the best way
    personally I use this method. spend $10 for article distribution, the other method is active in forum(with same niche), mailling list/groups(search in google and yahoo groups also myspace), link exchange, use traffic exchange, listdotcom, submit free ebook to ebook directories, and many more.

and then my ROI was about 1542.9%

so whatever you didn't pay in money you'll pay in time and effort.

think it twice.

if i have more money, i can leverage my time and effort to make same profits

I do think traffic exchanges (manual ones) like TrafficSwarm work well and can yield high conversions.

The prblem is that Google Adsense (Google in general) frouns upon and even bans such activity. Google recently wnet to a combined CPM and CPC model. So they're more concerned about where your impressions are coming fron and how you're generating traffic.

Like any marketing approach a holistic approach is needed. Don't ever move a way from SEO and other advertising techniches. If you fail to try and attain decent placement in the search engines you will be in trouble.

ABW Ambassador
    "I do think traffic exchanges (manual ones) like TrafficSwarm work well and can yield high conversions."

We have some threads on that one. Usually it's garbage traffic that doesn't convert anything.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=TrafficSwarm

"Free" when used in conjunction with any type of marketing (online of off-line) seldomly translates into "effective" (save "most effective") on a large scale.

But from all said above, I'd agree with Adam and Snib. SEO + viral marketing are by far your best free ways...

Geno

Traffic exchange like traffic swarm doesn't work for me. It's not targeted traffic. I'm using article and forum.

Push yourself to write 2-3 articles a day and submit it to some article directories. Another way to get traffic is using forum signature.

Then, to multiply your list, you can use tell-a-friend script and offer them a big bonus.

Holistic Approach
    Hi,
    Good points. As mentioned earlier, I believe in a holistoc approach to gaining traffic and rankings.

I do write articles and also blog but you have to be careful when using article submission with directories like Ezinearticles.com. Google and the major engines give the original web copy most relevancy, so if your articles are picked up by other sites, they won't get nearly the same ranking and your overall page rank will not be given much weight for those links.

Also if they're picked up by sites that just want to post content and aren't in the same industry as your site then those links won't be given great weight either.
    Last edited by bibby; November 9th, 2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jossef
    trafficswarm works, just understand who are the people using it, they are mostly affiliates, so use a page that can attract this kind of people
    I agree with you jossef, but I've found that it take too much of my time, however I still use them sometimes.

I have used traffic swarm in the past and quite frankly I think it sucked, everyone was doing the exact same thing as I was, looking for free traffic...if its just worthless traffic to make you feel like someone is looking at your site then its fine, but if you are looking for customers to your website or program that will actually buy something then traffic swarm wont help you...

Thats my opinion anyways,

Kyle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast