Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CJ: Third Party OUTAGE
    Over the weekend, starting approximately on Saturday, August, 11 at 6 PM (PDT) and continuing to Sunday, August 12 at 6 AM (PDT) end-users who access the Internet using Comcast and/or other ISPs experienced broken Commission Junction links because their DNS servers were not resolving Commission Junction ad serving domains correctly. As a result, no ads were displayed for the affected users. Commission Junction's DNS servers were operating correctly during this outage so the issue was solely related to the third parties.
    This might explain a few things.

ABW Ambassador
    Except they got the time totally wrong. It was from approximately 8:00 p.m. PDT on 8/10 until 2:30 p.m. PDT on 8/11.

And CJ continues to totally disregard the hours and hours of downtime over a number of months to the cj.com domain. No, it doesn't impact affiliate links but it certainly does impact our ability to effectively run our business.

ABW Ambassador
    What Snowman said. It's documented right here on ABW that people started having these problems, Friday night, about a day earlier then they're saying. Snowman's first post on it was at - August 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Yes, but CJ clearly stated it's not their fault at ALL. It's a 3rd party that is having the problems. Tracking has not been affected and it really doesn't hurt anyone. Does it?

We also will get paid right on time and balances all drop at the same time.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    We also will get paid right on time and balances all drop at the same time.
    And Ameriquest will magically pay up on their past due balances this month.

[edit] Ameriquest won't pay anything (let's be realistic), but CJ will take responsibility for their allowance of deadbeats in their network, will step up to the plate and pay every affiliate that Ameriquest owes money to. And do the same with the other deadbeat merchants, causing ABW to light up with hundreds of new threads of praise and admiration.

I don't quite understand the technical crap with this issue. Would this have anything to do with the cj site running like a snail in molasses?
    The best things in life are not things at all...

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    They haven't addressed that issue, Airstrip. They never have in my 2+ years with them, and I can't imagine they ever will. It's an almost daily event with CJ even when there isn't a massive "third party" Internet issue.

Perhaps in a severe case; if the CJ Account Manager were to go down for several days. But I think it would take something that bad to get any word from them.

Does anyone know of any other outages caused by Comcast or was this simply within the VC house of DNS issues?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not aware of any other Comcast issues when this happened over the weekend, but when the same thing has happened to me before with a particular site, it was only that site and only when attempting to access that site from one ISP, not the other ISP that I use.

I have seens this happen in the past when someone makes a change in dns and has their server's dns settings with a long ttl (time to live).

Basically ttl is a setting that "suggests" how long the record should be cached before an IP comes back and updates their own dns servers.

Defaults for ttl are usually 24-48 hours, which is not normally a problem, but say you have a 48 hour default. IPs like comcast may follow your suggestion and only stop by your dns server every 48 hours. If you make a change it may take up to your ttl for everyone to catch the change.

When I am moving from one server to another I always change the ttl to 5 minutes, wait out the orignial ttl time so that everyone knows it has changed to 5 minutes, then make the switch. It saves having issues like this.

I bet they made a change and didn't adjust their ttl. Technically it is not their fault that comcast did not have updated info but is it comcast's fault that they potentially followed cj's suggested time to live?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I seriously doubt that Comcast would be the only one caught out by CJ failing to shorten TTL's before an IP change.

I notice now that many CJ domains are CNAMED to an akamai domain. Not sure how long this has been going on, but that might have been a contributing factor.

I have all four networks on the same Web pages, and CJ was the only network with broken links.

And it started on Friday night, and i didn't notice any other sites having problems during the weekend. So, blaming a third party is sort of odd.

ABW Ambassador
    No, it's not odd when it's a routing problem between your ISP and a specific domain.

I would think such changes would affect everyone and not just comcast. Many of us weren't having the same problems. I never got a timeout error, but occasionally did have a login slowness and sometimes couldn't login but the site and links were all working for me. Odd.

Naked,

I find that funny that some of us were slow, when some of us could not get in...i'd think those that got in would have more bandwidth available since comcast was not getting through.

Has anyone seen sales reported from CJ in the last two days?

I have had over 25,000 impressions (multiple links on the same page, but still... one page had over 800 visitors today alone!) and 150 clicks, yet no sales have been reported. This seems really odd - normally I'd get sales with much less traffic than what I've been generating these last couple of days.

Dang - doesn't it just go figure that I'd get hit with decent traffic on the very times that CJ is blowing chunks?

Fortunately I have a few other advertising generating avenues that are still bringing in some $$$, but I'd sure like to see CJ update their sales stats soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Naked,

I find that funny that some of us were slow, when some of us could not get in...i'd think those that got in would have more bandwidth available since comcast was not getting through.
    Actually around this time of the month CJ is usually slow anyway. First is the Bonus Day Feast. Second is the Locking of the Transactions ceremony. Third is the Dropping to the Third Box aftermath.

For some reason after all these years CJ still hasn't figured out that maybe... just maybe... it needs more servers (or server power) to handle processing these things and payments (that ALWAYS, written in stone by the hand of the internet God) that are processed exactly on time.

CJ tracking is currently delayed. Here's the response I received from them this morning (in reverse order):

Response (*******) 08/15/2007 08:49 AM
    Dear Rick,

Do not have an exact time frame. We are currently in the process of running our payout scripts for this month which will further the delay the reports. If you are still experiencing problems after a week you may contact us again.

Sincerely,
    Client Services

Customer (Rick Palmer .) 08/14/2007 09:49 PM
    Thanks for the explanation.

Are we still waiting for sales to be reported, and if so, do you know when they will be updated?

Rick

Response (*******) 08/14/2007 10:44 AM
    Dear Rick,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the posting of transactions. Transactions are being tracked, only posting is delayed. This is not a common occurrence, and when it does happen reporting does catch up and is posted as soon as possible. We notify all clients using the CJ Account Manager™ “Alert” box.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Actually around this time of the month CJ is usually slow anyway. First is the Bonus Day Feast. Second is the Locking of the Transactions ceremony. Third is the Dropping to the Third Box aftermath.

I have to say, I have never experienced any of these things myself, but your sense of humor cracks me up!

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Agreed - very humorous!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    CJ tracking is currently delayed.
    Rick, you need to understand the difference between tracking and reporting. The message does not say that tracking is delayed.

Frankly, I don't believe that reporting is delayed either. Everything looks normal to me and no one else has reported any issues.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Just as an aside, CJ have more than one connection to the Internet. Certain ISP's will favour one over the other.

Sorry - meant to say "reporting" is delayed... and just thought this info might be helpful to others who (like me) are wondering why they're not seeing any updates to sales, when they normally would be seeing plenty of action.

And btw, several others have reported similar issues in other threads...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Sorry - meant to say "reporting" is delayed... and just thought this info might be helpful to others who (like me) are wondering why they're not seeing any updates to sales, when they normally would be seeing plenty of action.

And btw, several others have reported similar issues in other threads...

You indicated that you've had no sales report for Monday and Tuesday. Please provide links for the "several others have reported similar issues in other threads" for those two days, Monday and Tuesday, 8/13 and 8/14.

If this were true, there would be posts all over the place.

Today has been pretty bad for me I would like to think thier is a reporting delay...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast