Other than reversing our sales, what else can merchants do to cheat us from our commissions? (assuming those reversed were legit sales).

Can they prevent our sales that we generate from going through to CJ's reporting system, so it never really shows up?

Very few merchants are going to cheat you. Most of the cheating is the other way around. You may feel that you aren't getting you fair share but it's usually by no means cheating.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peego:
    Other than reversing our sales, what else can merchants do to cheat us from our commissions? (assuming those reversed were legit sales).[QUOTE]

Merchants are allowed to disable your cookie after the first sale has been made. So if a merchant has a 365 day cookie but has set the deleted cookie option to "keep=no" you'll only be credited with the first sale. The merchant might was well have a 1 day cookie if the use "keep=no". I view this as a form of cheating. Especially since CJ don't highlight which merchants use the "keep=no" option.

Merchants can cheat us by plastering 1-800 phone numbers all over their sites and encouraging people to call in their orders cutting us out of the loop.

Merchants can cheat us by offering a good commission and cookie rate and then dropping it suddenly as soon as they feel significant numbers of pages have been built.

Merchants can cheat us by "turning off" the shopping cart at certain times so that commissions aren't recorded. At least, I think they can do this.

Others????

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Don't forget, the walls have ears.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

OK, I see your point. Why give them any ideas.

However, all the above has been discussed here many times. Well, at least, don't give them a check list, right?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Didn´t I read that some merchants have to manually enter affiliate codes on the orders? Or was I dreaming?

Hmmm.. I fancy a coffee. Now, what was that affiliate code again? Who's going to know anyway?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Concerning reversed sales, how are we to know if the reversal was legit, do you think our merchants would give us the email address of the person who reversed/cancelled the sale [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Don't think so. I also remember reading the EcomCity had a reversed sale, even though his neighbor purchased and received the goods. This was from a CJ merchant who's still at CJ. Any comments Todd?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by JJJay:
    Concerning reversed sales, how are we to know if the reversal was legit

We don´t - we have to trust [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:

..do you think our merchants would give us the email address of the person who reversed/cancelled the sale

whaaaahaaaahaaahaahaaaaahaaa.
    Sometime CC fruad and I bet even merchant doesn´t have their e-mail address.

quote:

I also remember reading the EcomCity had a reversed sale, even though his neighbor purchased and received the goods. This was from a CJ merchant who's still at CJ. Any comments Todd?

The b@stards. I have had 5% of my September earnings reversed in the last two days. Not getting many sales either. Pleeeeeze let it be the time of the month/year.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I see this type of topic to belong in a PRIVATE affiliate only forum. After all, don't we have enuf working against us than GIVING the unpure at heart more ammunition?

Please . . . shut your pie hole. The income you save just might be my own.

Sure, put it in the private forum where everyone already knows merchant tricks and leave the ones that might actually benefit from the knowledge out.

Who could disagree with that?

Ssanf
    Very well said.

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

You can Private Topic with any number of participants. I'm not sure if you can add participants after you open the topic, never tried it. But it would be out of merchant eyes.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I agree to disagree with keeping private the methods used by affiliate enabled merchants to divert sales. All the merchants without any coaching know and discuss these tactics in their own private forums -Industry group conferences -and network get togethers. They look at their competitors sites daily ..to pick up tips..and lurk the boards or call the networks to see which merchants convert so they can place exit Popunders to hawk their own traffic for commissions from others.

I have for 5 years tracked the diversion/leakage tactics of lame affiliate managers who take not responsibility for their sites conversion ratios. They are pure play advertisers and the more at ABW recognize this and complain the better. Those merchants large and small know me very well and refuse to change their tactics. The recognized brand name ones turn up happily on the parasites lists too. To them affiliate marketing is the cheapest form of EyeBall gathering. Their real marketing efforts don't kick in till after the referral visit.

Case in point for disclosure on just one CJ merchant:
    WunderfulBuys is a TV infomercial product peddler primarily they sell by PHONE. They also push easy payment plans ( thats also why no furniture site converts worth a damn) which either lower the commissionable item cost by 1/3 or give no commission on payment plans...only outright sales. They also designed the site to FORCE phone sales by hiding the BUY BUTTON for each item amongst a slew of product banners on all pages. Confusion is a diversion tactic!!!

Take this layout in center of page where shoppers first look for a purchase button and tell me where it is:

Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 weeks.

Order hotline 800.649.6518

Guaranteed Visible Results© in 10 workouts.

With the FIRM® Body Sculpting System you no longer have to shy away from working out with weights. This complete fitness system teaches you how to properly incorporate weights into your workout. Working out with weights doesn't mean you have to bulk up or look like a muscle builder. Adding light weights to your cardiovascular workout will sculpt and tone your body. All you have to do is increase the number of repetitions. Increasing your lean muscle mass will boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories than ever before.

What do I get?
    Cardio Sculpt - 55 mins.
    Body Sculpt - 45 mins.
    Ab Sculpt - 25 mins.
    Fanny Lifter® - 6 inch
    Fanny Lifter® - 8 inch
    30-Day Rotation Guide
    Instructors' "Secrets to Success"
    FIRM® Formula™
    30 day money back guarantee

More info...

Put your thinking cap on folks. Do not showcase merchants who heavily advertise on TV and throughout the internet with Popups and unders.

Most of the companies who want sales ..not clicks..limit diversion tactics or overcome them with good landing pages and creatives. Those are the companies you see showcased at ABW or at least come here to learn and post.

TIP: ..ALL LEAD TYPE MERCHANTS ARE ADVERTISERS not sales partners!!!

WebMaster Mike

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Mike -

I don't agree with your statement...

quote:
    Do not showcase merchants who heavily advertise on TV

I have promoted various products for www.greatbuyusa.com - specifically picking those that were being heavily promoted on TV at the time.

The TV commercials drove a spike of interest in these products. For example, earlier this year, I bid on a handful of terms via Overture and FindWhat for the Co-pilot product at GreatBuyUSA.

When the commercials ran, I'd get dozens of clicks a day on my terms, and upwards of 10% conversion.

When the commercials stopped, the clicks stopped, and the conversion fell back to Earth (around 2%).

Shawn Collins

scollins@clubmom-inc.com
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    200 Madison Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York, New York 10016
    tel 646.435.6513
    fax 646.435.6600
    http://www.clubmomaffiliates.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Sure, put it in the private forum where everyone already knows merchant tricks and leave the ones that might actually benefit from the knowledge out.

I know it wasn't a good solution, but neither is displaying for putrid merchants to be. Many merchants lurk here to discover whatever we are *****ing about and whatever they can get away with has been evidenced results via what I see merchants doing for over 6 years now.

As soon as one starts it snowballs into total absurdity.

I don't claim to know what to do about turds in this industry short of castration or __________ but I do know I will not add to their munitions to use against us.

You may not care . . . as evidenced by your accusation instread of any clear solutions.

I did not state to exclude answers to questions. A private message via email also works instead of permanently posting a bible for jerks.

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    WunderfulBuys is a TV infomercial product peddler primarily they sell by PHONE. They also push easy payment plans ( thats also why no furniture site converts worth a damn) which either lower the commissionable item cost by 1/3 or give no commission on payment plans...only outright sales. They also designed the site to FORCE phone sales by hiding the BUY BUTTON for each item amongst a slew of product banners on all pages. Confusion is a diversion tactic!!!

This is exactly why I dropped them months ago.

ABW Ambassador
    AlphaCraze has a nice scam going ... been that way for months if not forever.

Using their product links, if you go to the product, they are almost always out of stock. But they have a nice link there to Amazon telling the customer to click there to get the item.

We send customer to Alpha, alpha diverts them to Amazon and picks up the commission.

Catalog city cheats us by having 60? 80? 90% of their product links going to "out of stock" or "disco" items. There is nothing worse than getting the customer to click on the button, only to find a generic page with no product there.

Recently several of my best merchants have decided to completely redo their sites, and OPPS, tracking disappeared. One for over a month, the other for several weeks. Still many of the product links go to a "opps" page.

I've found several sites that only offer a page with 10 different, other merchant offers on the site. ie, you send your customer there to sign up for a lead. But when they click, they are taken to a page that has half a dozen pop ups, or the page where you enter your name and email and instead of signing up for the one thing you thought you were signing up, you just signed up for 100 different offer you had no idea about.

Some of these things are pure cheating (criminal really) and others are just piss poor AM management.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread