I put up a new site on new domain near end of Novemeber. Since that time I have received about six emails from individuals claiming that fraudulent orders and or charges were made to their credit cards. Or, they ordered merchandise that was faulty and returned same but no refund. All are asking that their credit cards be credited or check sent to their address in the amount of purchase. No merchant mentioned. Two had what looked like purchase orders.

The big clue came that this may be a scam when I received the last email today. It mentioned a product that no merchant on my new site carries. That email stated that the product was purchased and returned before my new site was in existence. Approximately 1 1/2 months before the site went online.

Has anyone else experienced this situation yet?

Gene
    TCS

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    No--and all I can say is, I'm glad I make it darn nigh impossible to find my email address!

If any DO find it, they'll get a standard-looking "you'll have to contact the merchant about that" notice--IF I respond at all.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCS:
    Has anyone else experienced this situation yet?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not yet, but nice to know it's probably coming, so I don't make the mistake of replying with a note to always contact the merchant - that reply would no doubt land you in a veritable snake pit of more spam and virii emails.

I figured too, in view of your note, that it couldn't hurt to add this note onsite:

Note on Purchases: SiteName features and displays products from a variety of merchants. Order fulfillment is handled exclusively by the respective merchant and all questions regarding any order should be directed to same. SiteName does not currently provide any order processing.

Are you sure that domain wasn't in use by someone else before you got it?

Yes, I am sure it was not, as it is very original. One email did reference a domain that matched part of a page title though. Usually if someone has a legitimate claim, that someone has very specific information and would therefore address the merchant involved. I became suspicious with the very first one and began checking if there was a reason why this new shopping site would be targeted. Can't find any common ground.

Also, my email address was said to be somehow attached or connected with the sale.
    Gene
    TCS

TCS,

Thanks for sharing this - as now I'll be on the lookout for it.

The only email I usually get is when someone is looking for something very specific and they can't find it - most of the time I let them know I can't find it either (what am I the yellow pages?), but every so often I'll search everywhere to find someone a product that I have nothing to do with, just to help them out.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

Same here. If somebody writes to me about a purchase they made, I explain that we do not sell stuff directly from our site. The purpose of our site is to help people find what they are looking for by providing links to where they can purchase the item. If they have a problem, the need to contact the merchant that they actually made the purchase from.

I do answer emails on where to find stuff. A lot of the time, I already have it on my site, and all I have to do is point them to the page on my site where it is at. Other times, I don't have it but I'll take the time to find it. It's a good way to gauge what I can add to my site. I get a lot of nice thank you notes too. Usually, it takes me less than a minute to find it doing a Google search. It's amazing how many people are totally lost when looking for things on the Internet.

At Christmas time, one person wrote looking for a particular product. I added it, sent the link in an email, and made a 10% commission on a $100 sale. In addition, that link produced several more sales. So, I think it is very well worth answering emails.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

I believe I have determined what has taken place. I received a reply from one of the individuals with additional information. They have apparently done a Google search on the merchants name to gain contact information. The merchants name matched keywords on one of my pages well enough that my site came up first on the search results. They then jumped on my page and got my email address. The merchant of concern was listed 5 & 6 in the results. I have forwarded that information and the merchants contact email to the shopper.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

I am sorry about the scam scare. Looked awfully suspicious.

Gene
    TCS

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread