Free music - any ideas?
    This is nothing to do with AM, but hopefully someone will have a suggestions.
    I'm in the process of making a PowerPoint presentation that will last about 30-45 mins and would like to put a sound-track to it.

I need to do this legally as it will be burned onto discs and sold at cost price - not at a profit. The budget is effectively zero.

Does anyone know of any where I can download music for free (or near free) to use that won't break anyone's copyright? Is it a realistic possibility even? All I've found is sites with free clips that last from about half to two and a half minutes.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Paul, try contacting musicians at My Space, etc. to offer "screen" credit for using their music. Not sure what type of sound you're looking for in a Power Point presentation but you'll probably find a lot of song writers/composers who would be happy to let you use their music for screen credit only.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    This is nothing to do with AM, but hopefully someone will have a suggestions.
    I'm in the process of making a PowerPoint presentation that will last about 30-45 mins and would like to put a sound-track to it.

I need to do this legally as it will be burned onto discs and sold at cost price - not at a profit. The budget is effectively zero.

Does anyone know of any where I can download music for free (or near free) to use that won't break anyone's copyright? Is it a realistic possibility even? All I've found is sites with free clips that last from about half to two and a half minutes.
    Not everything, you need to check if the Creative Commons License being used allows it, many do.

http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_audio
    http://creativecommons.org/audio/

Chet

Paul, the best answer I can give you is "it depends". There are several "indy" labels and artists that will allow the use of their music with only a screen credit as Rexanne stated. If you are looking for more popular contemporary music you'll find that most of their copyrights will restrict the use that you're looking for.

If you are looking for classical music then Wikipedia has a published list that are public domain or copyleft and are free to use however you like (except for resale) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list.

Hope this helps.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

What Rematt said. Use music that's in the public domain. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. Free music plus you'll impress your audience with your exemplary taste in classical music

Thanks everyone - I've started to look and have some contenders, now I need to sort out what gives the right mood.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread