Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question site builder (SBI!) by site sell?
    I'm a personal fitness trainer and i want to create my own fitness website that will offer products i sell and also provide browsers with useful fitness tips. I'm considering two options for the creation and maintenance of my website: site sell or someone from elance.com

I did my fair share of research on SBI! (sitesell.com) and have viewed there video demo. I was very impressed with what they had to offer and really like how its an all-in-one package. They claim that their customers recieve the highest rankings in search engines, but i havent been able to really validate this.

i'd really like to get opinions from people who use(d) their interface...i've attempted looking up reviews but of course all the review sites were affiliate sites.

Youre suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Grand

Hello Grand,

I haven't used SiteSell, I normally create my own websites but if I don't have time or require something more advanced than I'm capable of, I hire a programmer. Whatever your decision is, it helps to have a basic knowledge of HTML, unless you intend to pay someone each time you want to make a minor change to your websites.

CPA Network Rep
    hi Grand -

I know what you mean about SiteSell. I haven't used it but it does look pretty cool.

I have gone the elance route several times and things went pretty well. A firm (or individual) from E. Europe or Indian can usually give you a great price.

Good luck!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by grand
    i'd really like to get opinions from people who use(d) their interface...i've attempted looking up reviews but of course all the review sites were affiliate sites.
    Ummm. What?

Quote Originally Posted by grand
    Hard to trust a review when the person doing the review has a vested interest.

I had very limited HTML knowledge when I designed my first site but found a great source of open source templates at http://www.oswd.org/. If you Google open source templates I'm sure you'll find other resources for free templates that you can use.

You can use most of these template "right out of the box". I'm glad I went this route because it forced me to learn more about HTML and CSS so now updating, changing or creating new sites isn't as traumatic ( I will admit to having a friend that was very helpful when I had questions or problems).

SBI! claims to be an all in one solution, since I've never used them I can't speak to that however I do believe that their AM is a member here and maybe he can speak more to what they can provide to you. Again take it with a grain of salt.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

You could also use Wordpress (free) or a similar tool. There are free or low-cost templates available.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya Wordpress does a lot of the things they mention as included and valuable, ummm free.

Sitemaps - plugin
    RSS - normal
    Linking structure - normal
    blog style - normal

But their sites often do rank well so they must do quite a few things right.

Grand,

I read what you want to do and the replies. I am an SBI affiliate and consultant so I will say that up front so there is no doubt about it.

I used to build my websites using Front Page until I discovered Site Build It. This is an all encompassing web hosting, SEO optimizing, ecommerce model. It costs $299 per year paid in one lump sum payment. However, it is by far the best web host for creating successful online businesses. This is the key difference. Online businesses, not just websites.

My first SBI website, [link removed], is based on the very competitive keyword “retirement jobs”. Within four months, the site was number six on Google. Last time I checked it was number three. It varies in that range based on how Googgle feels that day.

Site Build It will help you build your web pages so you do not have to know HTML. It uses a point and click method where you provide the content and it will place the pictures, links and text to make a great looking page. It leads you through creating your page so it is search engine friendly. It automatically submits your site map to Google and Yahoo. It has a site blog and automatically pings the search engines when you update a page or make a blog entry.

SBI includes an autoresponder, an ezine publishing function, a survey form function, and several other helpful functions. As far as I am concerned, the most important feature is the research and brainstorming that it leads you through when you are evaluating your market. This taps into the Wordtracker database which is also included in the annual fee.

I like SBI because it does so much of the mundane site maintenance for me and allows me to concentrate on the business and minimizes the technical demand.

My second SBI site is [next link removed]. This site is still in its early stage of development so it is not rated on Google yet. It is rising on Live Search faster than Google, but Google is usually slower.

In one of the posts, andbeyond posted "But their sites often do rank well so they must do quite a few things right." This is very true because of the structured way in which SBI leads you through the process of building your online business.

You mentioned eLance as a possibility. From my experience, you can find some real talent on eLance for a reasonable price. However, if you do not know how to perform simple changes and additions on your website, your site maintenance fees will be larger than they need to be and you cannot react quickly to opportunities.

If you would like to discuss SBI with me, I invite you go "go off forum" and email me at [contact email removed]. You can see from reading the weekly ezine that my wife and I publish (still another ad, removed) that I am a "straight shooter". I will tell you with the truth about SBI as compared to other web hosts.

Good luck with your endeavor whichever option you choose.

John Howe
    [manual sig link removed]
    Last edited by Leader; August 16th, 2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Multiple link drops censored

Got anymore links you want to drop while you're at it?

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

The links tell the story
    No, thanks, mobilebadboy.

The links only help tell the story.

CPA Network Rep
    Hmm...that's a few links, a manual sig and probably some other violations haha

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The free ad attempt has been neutered.

SBI yea or ney?
    This thread got sidetracked by the censorship issues. Let's try again.

I have reviewed the tutorials & read several evaluations. Have been encouraged by what I have seen.

But then again, haven't found anything that's 100% impartial.

Any experience from non-SBI affiliates?

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If you need help building a site or at least site templates I would suggest you browse through Elance. You can find some inexpensive options for any aspect of site design. The only area there I would suggest you think twice about is content creation. A lot of the posted vendors are great with LSI and the content is read well by the SE's but not so much by the human eye.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I use SBI and I'm happy with it. If you are skilled in HTML, you can still use SBI and get all the other tools. For the $$, it's a comprehensive package. Their downtime is little or none. The biggest drawbacks seem to be:
    no php support
    no subdomains
    all graphics need to be under 1mb

I'm sure there are other limitations involved when you get to posting music or videos, but I don't put those on my site. They have an impressive toolbox for the $$. And there are plenty of folks who use SBI who love it.

There are folks who don't want a business, but just a website, and they tend to be less happy. But, there are folks who can do the site for you - who use SBI tools.

I'm not impressed with Elance right now. It seems to have been taken over by people who have strong accents and are difficult to understand. I've pulled out because I can't compete financially with people who can live very well on less than 1/2 my annual salary requirement. Instead, I work face-to-face when I'm developing websites for folks. Besides, if you purchase online, your contract needs to be perfect - not a likely scenario.

SiteSell looks pretty cool, though I haven't used it. If you know Photoshop, a tool called Site Grabber (by a company called Media Lab) is great. Price ranges from $100 to $200 - if you know Photoshop, it's very easy to use. You put "hints" in the layer names to tell SiteGrabber what things are (text, buttons, links, pages, etc.). As others have said, there are also template sites (like templatemonster) where you can buy low cost templates. I find that it's a lot easier to edit the templates in Photoshop (vs. HTML) and then use Site Grabber to create web pages out of it. But that's probably because I'm the world's worst HTML coder.

I found the several megabytes of bandwidth they used when they spidered one of my sites VERY interesting. Wonder why they would be looking at my site (unsolicited, I might add)?

My search for information started here though, and low and behold - well, the posts above speak volumes (no pun inteded).

Fred

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    I found the several megabytes of bandwidth they used when they spidered one of my sites VERY interesting. Wonder why they would be looking at my site (unsolicited, I might add)?

My search for information started here though, and low and behold - well, the posts above speak volumes (no pun inteded).

Fred
    I caught their spider on one of my sites, too. I checked out their spider info page (the URL should be in your log files) and they said they do it for some reason like seeing how many pages there are about a topic/keyword! And that they don't actually store the page data ala Google, they just keep aggregated results as to what the pages are about. So (according to them) they're competition-checking, more like a Wordtracker deal than a search engine.

Needless to say, I banned it in robots.txt and will pre-emptively ban it from all my other sites as I get around to 'em.

If they ignore the robots.txt, then I'll escalate to IP banning.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I caught their spider on one of my sites, too. I checked out their spider info page (the URL should be in your log files) and they said they do it for some reason like seeing how many pages there are about a topic/keyword! And that they don't actually store the page data ala Google, they just keep aggregated results as to what the pages are about. So (according to them) they're competition-checking, more like a Wordtracker deal than a search engine.

Needless to say, I banned it in robots.txt and will pre-emptively ban it from all my other sites as I get around to 'em.

If they ignore the robots.txt, then I'll escalate to IP banning.
    Thank you. Makes sense (if one believes them). I'll set them up for a ban as well.
    Fred

I have decided to take the elance route. thanks a lot for all your opinions and suggestions!

Please don't ban them from spidering. It's true that they are checking "competition" but not as such. They are looking for keywords on the 'net and how often each keyword is found. Nothing else. They don't really care. It's a measure of how many websites there are on a particular keyword in existence vs how many times that keyword is searched for. It's one of the tools that makes SBI sites so successful.

Yes, I'm considered successful. I've posted elsewhere that I get someplace between 350-480 uniques a day. That may not seem like a lot of visitors, but when just about every single one of them converts, it's pretty staggering! I get a newsletter subscription, product purchase or google ad click from just about every visitor - and those visitors may also spend time asking questions (which they pay for) or contributing to the content of the site.

So, my top 1% of the internet in my niche is just perfect!

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    Please don't ban them from spidering. It's true that they are checking "competition" but not as such. They are looking for keywords on the 'net and how often each keyword is found. Nothing else. They don't really care. It's a measure of how many websites there are on a particular keyword in existence vs how many times that keyword is searched for. It's one of the tools that makes SBI sites so successful.

Yes, I'm considered successful. I've posted elsewhere that I get someplace between 350-480 uniques a day. That may not seem like a lot of visitors, but when just about every single one of them converts, it's pretty staggering! I get a newsletter subscription, product purchase or google ad click from just about every visitor - and those visitors may also spend time asking questions (which they pay for) or contributing to the content of the site.

So, my top 1% of the internet in my niche is just perfect!
    I tell you what.

I have a spider that I can use to spider your site to see what you're doing too.

I can also use my spider to get your pages - change your affiliate id to mine and show your pages in my search results and I'll get the credit for the sale.

That sounds fair doesn't it.

After all - you are spidering my site to see what I'm doing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen
    Sure, why not post all your sites here, so we can all check your keywords and how often your site is found too.

Btw, for some MYSS may mean: make your site sell, but for me it still means: make your site .

No cause for being mean, now !

If you use overture, aren't you doing the same thing?

i bought sitebuildit, built a website and in less than 2 months acheived a #3 ranking on google & #1 on MSN search engines. so i am very happy with my purchase. also i can vouch for their customer service (they resolved an issue in the same day for me). in addition i have already made decent money with the site although i didn't expect that so soon. if you work their system it will deliver results has been my experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast