Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Personal Cell Phone Numbers Are Only a Click Away
    From ABCNews

Web site Sells Cell Phone Numbers and Other Personal Information

Full article http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3479517&page=1

I can be expecting more telemarketers calling my cell phone. Maybe it is time for me to get a prepaid every 6 months

A Web site named Intelius has created a clearinghouse of cell phone numbers that can be purchased online for $15 each. Its source -- every business and company you've ever provided with your personal information.

"We do pay for the data, everything from government agencies to third party companies, where we compile a lot of this information together," said Ed Peterson, vice president of sales and marketing at Intelius.

Intelius already has 90 million cell phone numbers, and it's adding 70 million more in the coming days, along with the addresses that go with them.

"Frankly, it's the Wild West when it comes to our personal information," said Avivah Litan, director of research at Gartner Inc.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If you want to opt-out of having your information listed in Intelius' database, log-on to http://www.intelius.com/privacy-faq.php#5

CPA Network Rep
    Honestly. When does it all end?

It seems like every day now we discover yet another company acting unscrupulously just to make some cash. Many companies now pay no heed to what is decent and polite. Common sense would dictate that NOBODY wants their cell phone number given out to strangers. Duh...

As long as it's not illegal (and even sometimes if it is) let's just do it and try to make profit.

Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Fantastic
    Honestly. When does it all end?

It seems like every day now we discover yet another company acting unscrupulously just to make some cash. Many companies now pay no heed to what is decent and polite. Common sense would dictate that NOBODY wants their cell phone number given out to strangers. Duh...

As long as it's not illegal (and even sometimes if it is) let's just do it and try to make profit.

Disgusting.
    It is illegal.

"FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent."

An added precaution is to register your cell phone number with The National Do Not Call Registry if you haven't already done so. If you have registered your cell phone and are still receiving calls you can file a complaint here: https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    A few weeks ago I got a letter from certegy saying, "Hey, we collect your personal data, such as name, ssn, bank account numbers, credit card numbers and expiration dates, along with the same sensitive and depply invasive information from millions of other people. Oh, and by the way, our lead database administrator just stole that data and sold it to a bunch of people. We are really quite sorry, but rest assured, we will make sure that that criminal gets punished."

-SIGH-

There's a fair chance that if you are reading this, your data got sold, as well.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

http and a telephoto
    Background Report for Deborah Carney
    Address History for Deborah Carney includes the following cities:
    12 Addresses in ROCHESTER, NY
    I would love to know the 12 places I lived in Rochester.....

Did the do not call registry.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WyndhamVacationR-EricEwe
    If you want to opt-out of having your information listed in Intelius' database, log-on to http://www.intelius.com/privacy-faq.php#5
    That link gets you this:

How can I remove my information from the Intelius public records databases?
    Public records, by law, must be available from the official public records office to anyone who requests them. Accordingly, because individuals cannot opt out of public records databases generally, Intelius does not offer individuals the opportunity to opt out of our public records databases. In order for any database of public records to be useful, the databases must contain all of the information in the public records offices. Our data files must accurately reflect the underlying public records, and we do not remove or suppress any information that is both accurate and publicly available. For example, if a bank is going to lend money to a company, it has to be certain that a search of the public records databases will reveal all of the previous encumbrances against the company, so that it can effectively evaluate the risk involved in making the loan.
    If you have a compelling privacy or security issue, you may wish to contact the official custodians of those public records that contain sensitive information about you, such as your county's land records office, to determine how to remove your information from the public record. (The process of having public records sealed typically requires a court order.) This process will ensure that the information is not available from the public records custodian, Intelius, or any other information provider.

As a courtesy we can temporarily 'opt out' your information from the Intelius People Search.

Fax or mail your name and address as it appears on our website. Or print the page from our website that includes your information.

Please note that removing the data here does not prevent public records from sending us new information in the future.

Intelius fax number: (425) 974-6194

Intelius, Inc.
    Attn: CUSTOMER SERVICE
    500 – 108th Ave NE #1660
    Bellevue, WA 98004
    (emphasis added)

So, for their "temporarily opt out" you have to create an account whereby YOU GIVE THEM your personal information that they may not have even had before!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    A few weeks ago I got a letter from certegy saying, "Hey, we collect your personal data, such as name, ssn, bank account numbers, credit card numbers and expiration dates, along with the same sensitive and depply invasive information from millions of other people. Oh, and by the way, our lead database administrator just stole that data and sold it to a bunch of people. We are really quite sorry, but rest assured, we will make sure that that criminal gets punished."

-SIGH-

There's a fair chance that if you are reading this, your data got sold, as well.
    In my mind they're the criminals for not having better protections in place. With all of the reports of data being lost or stolen from corporations, government agencies and universities you'd think that they would protect that data as if they were the CIA (didn't they lose some data too?). There are hundreds of data security companies and consultants available, if they weren't using one they should be held libel for every penny that consumers lose to identity theft.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ... There are hundreds of data security companies and consultants available, if they weren't using one they should be held libel for every penny that consumers lose to identity theft.
    (my emphasis)

[nitpick] You meant "liable", as gathering our private info and selling it is not "libel" [/nitpick]

I agree with AffiliateHound: it's definitely NOT a good idea to send your cell phone info to Intelius as part of that Intelius website "opt-out", as they may not already have it. They have already clearly expressed that they are in the business of collecting it and selling it, so why give them the opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    (my emphasis)

[nitpick] You meant "liable", as gathering our private info and selling it is not "libel" [/nitpick]

I agree with AffiliateHound: it's definitely NOT a good idea to send your cell phone info to Intelius as part of that Intelius website "opt-out", as they may not already have it. They have already clearly expressed that they are in the business of collecting it and selling it, so why give them the opportunity?
    Thanks for the correction Spacedog. I need to find a good content checker to go along with my spell checker.

-rematt

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    A little off topic, but here is announcement of a class action against certegy. A nice summary of what happened..... Basically, if you do business with companies like Wal-Mart and Sears and hundreds of other stores, they trade customer info into Certegy.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...61C8185FEC9%7D
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I would say the Do Not Call is the best way to go. Their "opt out" state clearly that it is temporary. Basically, they will remove your name if you ask, but it does not stop another company from selling your information to them again and then they will use it until you "temporarily opt out" AGAIN.

Uhhhg.

Sheri

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread