Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    This is something I've been asking myself for a long time... Why do americans think that the bigger the car the better?

Those big things are pretty ugly compared to a nice small sports car IMHO.

Javi

PS. Don't be to harsh Leader.. I saw your your site and it looks like you won't agree with my last statement

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    1. They're more *comfortable*!!!

2. They don't look like they can be pushed around.

3. If something *does* try to push one around, it'll bounce off.

4. More solid feel. Like there's actually something *under* there, when you sit down.

5. Big cars don't have that awful, cutesy bubble-car look.

6. Ever see an old sports car on the road? No, because their engines usually get burned out quick from people driving them in idiot ways!

7. You can tow things with a real car.

8. Good luck fitting much of anything in a little car! Long trip? Bwaa haa haa...

9. Big cars match the personality better.

10. Big cars are NOT ugly! They're beautiful! Although a *proper* sports car can look good, too.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

I actually prefer a smaller car.

Bill
    I will see it when I believe it.

11. If you crash you don't get squeezed.

I have an old big american car and I'm quite happy with it. Except for its appetite for fuel.

Javi,
    I don't know how things work in Spain, but in Italy it's not uncommon to push other peoples cars aside to get parking space. That might count for something ...

-- Less is more --

They hold all my camping and recreational gear. You can sleep and dress in them if your tent gets flooded.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Nice car Leader - but you need to post another pic.

I can't see the fins in that one. It does have fins right?

I had a '57 Dodge Custom Royale for while a few years ago, but parts were kinda hard to come by round here.

There is of course one car that combines the best of both worlds - the Shelby Cobra.

Are you Crazy?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Fins?! It's a 2002, there's no fins... even the '84 doesn't have fins!

The 57 I'd expect it on, but I think it's been a while since cars were made with 'em...

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

I have a 1969 Thunderbird as a play car. I don't drive it daily, but I take it out on special occasions when the weather is nice.

There's something about that car that makes you feel good when you drive it. Plus, with a 429 V-8 under the hood, it will really move when you want it to!

It's also nice to have something distinctive, that isn't duplicated a million times over.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I bought my husband a 1971 Mustang Fastback
    as a project car for his birthday.

It's glorious. The Power, 351 Windsor, You just
    don't find in Any of the new cars.

It brings back All kinds of good memories.

We pretend we're "Steve McQueen - in a Fast
    Machine"

Anne

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why do americans think that the bigger the car the better?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's just americans.. I don't live in the US, but my "car", if you can call it that, weighs 2 1/2 tonnes.. and why is it better? because I can drive mine anywhere I want, whenever I want.. As an example, I just spent a number of days on this island (I'll attach a pic but not sure if it'll show up) surrounded by crystal clear water and white sand accessible only by "big" cars.. Best part is, if you have a "big" car, you get to find your own stretch of beach to camp on with no one around.. You can also cruise over to the other side of the island for a surf, cruise to the crystal clear lakes in the middle of the island, and explore all manner of things - but only if you have a big car..

How is winter going in the US anyways

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Actually, I don't think of them as 'cars', I think of them as 'advertising opportunities', heh.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

ABW Ambassador
    Leader: I personally think you should have bought a Mercury Maurader. It's a Grand Marquis with the engine from a Mustang Cobra stuffed between the fenders.

I'm a Chevy man myself. I drive a 1990 Lumina Coupe. It's a touch smaller than the 1983 Impala I learned to drive in, but much larger than my Wife's '99 Cavalier. The Cavalier just doesn't have the feeling of power that the Lumina has. The engine is tiny for the torque it makes. (It makes more torque and loads more HP than the base 6-cylinder motors in the Muscule car era. Too bad it doesn't make power like the V-8s from that era .)

A large car is a thing of beauty, since they aren't as plentiful as they used to be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weisinator:
    you should have bought a Mercury Maurader. It's a Grand Marquis with the engine from a Mustang Cobra stuffed between the fenders.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just browsing the spec sheets on that yesterday Still for $35K plus, I'd rather go with the new Thunderbird for the looks of it - it really does evoke memories of the '57 as well as the Corvettes of the 50s.

But the real value today is the Crown Vic or Gran Marquis - if you don't want one heavily optioned or with the high-end trim packages you can drive off for well under $20K - basically the biggest chunk of metal you can buy today and equal in cost or less than lots of small models.

Actually I bought a 2002 Honda Civic EX and it will outrun a lot of the bigger cars on the road. Plus it looks sporty AND gets around 34mpg.

"So it's a profit thing..." - Steve Martin

I'm saving up for this beast

You simply need one of these:

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

NewcastleB’s observations on American Life Chapter 8: The Car (the short version)

It’s not just that Americans love big cars, but Americans love all cars. We’ve had a “love affair” with the automobile since the first horseless carriage rolled off Henry Ford’s assembly line. To see why, you have to understand four factors that set us apart from the rest of the world. We are a rich, rural nation, with poor public transportation and cheep gas. A lot of other countries can claim three of these factors, but very few can claim all four.

I’m not going to go into detail about the US being a rich nation, because most people know this already. But what many people don’t realize is that America is still very rural. If all you’ve ever seen of America are pictures of New York City, then you are missing most of what the US is. From our forefathers down to us, we have had a desire to move away from the population centers and into the surrounding areas. The automobile has allowed us to move further from the cities while still maintaining a connection to the goods and services that can be found there. It acts as our lifeline between the life we instinctually want to live and the life we are forced to live. It is not uncommon for Americans to drive 20, 30, or more miles to work every day. We have therefore become dependent on the car for the freedom to live where we want.

This dependence forms the foundation for our love of the auto especially because there is no viable public transportation alternative. Again don’t judge the public transportation system of the US based on New York, NY. Looking back in history, the American has always been very self sufficient. Or ancestors were the ones who chose to leave the security of the Old World to come to a mysterious place full of danger. They were forced to rely on there own means for survival. Any thing that aided in survival became a sought after and prized possession, and a means of transportation, be it a horse and carriage or today the automobile, was the most sought after of all. It’s not surprising then, that few were willing to rely on the government to provide that transportation.

So cars are important to Americans. They not only provide a means of independence, but have become a symbol of or freedom as well. And just like any symbol, the bigger the better. This is not something unique to America. Look at the Cathedrals and Palaces of Europe. They are more than a simply buildings, but are symbols of the importance of the Church and the State, so the larger they are, the more important the Church must be and more powerful the State must be. Couple this desire for a big symbol of freedom with the fact that we have some of the cheapest gas in the world, you can see why Americans have big cars (Just as an example of the gas prices here, I paid $1.32 for a gallon this morning. And that’s not the cheapest around my area.). We want the big cars and can afford to feed them, just as the rulers of Europe could afford to build the opulent mansions that now dot the landscape.

Sorry for the length of my post, but ask a question about American life and I feel compelled to answer. And yes, I could have gone on for another 20 pages or so.

Sorry, but I love my V10 powered pick-up truck. I do feel safer, I can haul most anything, and I can go most anywhere (and have fun doing it).

A couple of us have said "Feel safer," which may be similar to having a gun. Other folks have SUV's and I don't want to be in a small car when I get hit by one. Not the only rationale by the way - but that's me.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

Why don't we post our car pictures?. mine is a 1000 cc earlier mpodel of Suzuki Wagon-r but it's body is fully modified and is equipped with car theatre. I really love my car , it's so cuteee and compact

[This message was edited by cowcool on January 09, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Core:
    Actually I bought a 2002 Honda Civic EX and it will outrun a lot of the bigger cars on the road. Plus it looks sporty AND gets around 34mpg.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the way Hondas look until they get butchered by some kid with more money than taste, adding giant wings, giant wheels, and "flatulent" mufflers.

I still like a decent sized car. I feel claustrophobic in my wife's Cavalier.

I get 31-35mpg on the highway in my Lumina but can only muster 17-20 in town. My wife's Cavalier only manages 29 on the highway, but gets 26 in town. (Cavalier doesn't have OD transmission)

Tail Pipe Envy

I do my best to have a car that will do the least amount of damage to the environment possible. I've always driven smaller cars with good gas mileage, and I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood now where I don't even have to drive all that much.

I personally think big cars are wasteful. Sorry, guys.

J

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;Big cars are NOT ugly!

Where were you in the 80's? :^)

The U.S. produced some great looking cars in the 70's - Fastback Mustang, Camaro, Dodge Challenger - but what the hell happened in the 80's?

And the 2000's aren't much better - seend those ugly cars Ford is churning out these days. Gross!

For me, the Porsche 928 is the car to have - but not here in Mexico :^(

Sigh. Sticking with my Chev V8 Pickup and V6 Jetta.

Notice the new Nissan Z car look's very similar to the 928? A shape designed in the 70's - and way ahead of it's time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janiss:
    I personally think big cars are wasteful. Sorry, guys.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It depends, yes, the 99% of the people in SUVs that have never left the pavement unless they missed a turn are certainly wasting resources for the convenience - not even convenience really, as many will privately admit that it's a pain in the butt to drive a truck daily.

But back when I drove a lot, one company decided to go with smaller cars and the longevity/reliability just wasn't there in comparison. Many were traded in with only 60-70K on them because of it. We went back to all Gran Marquis' and easily went past 100K with minimal problems and not all that much a difference in the mileage either, so with a longer period between trades the energy used all over the country to build the parts for new cars almost twice as often wasn't as much either. Anyway, after almost a million miles behind the wheel, I still come down on the side of BIG!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast