View Poll Results: Time for an Affiliate-Run Affiliate Network???

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, this will never work

7 19.44%
  • Yes, I would support an affiliate-run Affiliate Network.

7 19.44%
  • Yes, I would support an affiliate-run Affiliate Network AND contribute in its establishment by buying shares.

22 61.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    our efforts of building a healthy and steadily- growing income stream with an element of stability are constantly restrained, frustrated, robbed and taken advantage of by:

- parasites of all sorts
    - operators with no ethical qualms
    - opportunists
    - thieves

is it now time to establish an Affiliate Network that will offer a DECENT business environment where all performance shall be truly rewarded without the constant blood-letting to parasites and cool operators of every denomination?

many of us have excellent contacts with merchants and it shall not be difficult to attract a good number of top participants to start the ball rolling.

the technology is readily available at an affordable cost. venture capital for this purpose should not be difficult to obtain. and it would not be too difficult to appoint people to run it, possibly from within our own community.

Heisje,

I have brought this up several times in the form of an affiliate co-op or partnership that would organize and target the efforts of all affiliates. The goal would be to reward merchants who do not allow parasite ware to skim commissions from the affiliate by giving them top positions, or at least, let the community know who they are. And, to let the community know which affiliates are less than cooperative. That is basic BUT, I am with you 100%. Although I have found little interest to this idea in the form of almost zero response.

Steve

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Count me in personaly and with Tiger!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Count me in personaly and with Tiger!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already a major player is on board!

I am usually skeptical of these calls for new affiliate providers because I figure they will be like the existing second and third tier networks with dopey merchants no one ever heard of. But this is a good start!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heisje:

the technology is readily available at an affordable cost. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have developed a kick butt solution with the Kowabunga folks and they i'm sure they would be more than willing to help.

No offense to the major network players, but a small tech company can move circles around them and has more flexibility than the big 3 at creating software solutions, customizing and making changes quickly and on the fly.

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Andy, great show - support of this magnitude if forthcoming from a few AMs of your calibre may bring such an idea much closer to reality.

this should not be a venture to third-tier existence, otherwise it would not be meaningful. its goal should be to become a top performer with professional attributes and star quality. we do have some very good talent in this community and with proper recruitment of good professionals I would not be surprised if some major results were to be attained in a speedy way.

an affiliate-run Network would also be a determining influence on the policies of the established networks - and possibly one of the major benefits of its existence.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ABW could easily recruit both active affiliates and 100% product only merchants like TigerDirect. That solution I've been brainstorming for 6 months, that takes into all concerns by affiliates -Super Affiliate portals -Product only merchants (Froogle.com based requirements), is a fully hosted e-catalog database (with images) with sales tracking. Primary driving force would be REAL VALUE to the shoppers eliminating advertising only merchants.

Every affiliate site can be HTML customized to a different look and merchant selection with one shopping cart with contents from multiple storefronts. A rich media rotating DHTML display creative would show shoppers the merchant daily specials and land them on a purchase detail page.

It can be done but will only work if no "incent" affiliates or Dupers can get admittance. You all seem to forget that the shopper rules by mouse click and he has to see real value at the end of that click. Otherwise it is just more Ad-nausium from merchants trying to push retail products and site visits.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    I'd support it as well but the real problem is you need merchants for any network to be successful. And more than tiger......

Lets see how many merchants step up like Andy and say they would participate. My guess is you "may" get around 6 but not more than 10 merchants. That would definately be a slow start but a start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That would definately be a slow start but a start. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    correct!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    With 10 carefully selected merchants you'd have over 5 million products to choose from...
    My suggestion is to make the merchants pick only the top 15 best sellers in each category and put a affiliate coded category link on each page to the merchants regular web site for that specific category....example would be computer kits or men's running shoes.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on January 08, 2003 at 04:24 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    10 high quality merchants - that is more than CJ has.

To much of a heeadache guys goodluck. I would still love to help in anyway I can though its a good idea just to many polotics come along with it.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Just to reiterate this again - I consider www.shareasale.com one of us, in the sense that they are very pro affiliate. They make no bones about wanting to keep their network clear of parasites.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

I would love to do this!

But, there are many questions. I would want coinsolidated payments, reasonable cookies and commissions, the whole nine yards. If that can be done, I would support it in a heart beat.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    elbowcreek,

Thanks.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I would love to do this!

But, there are many questions. I would want coinsolidated payments, reasonable cookies and commissions, the whole nine yards. If that can be done, I would support it in a heart beat.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh you mean the way CJ use to be... It was good

ABW Ambassador
    I voted and of course willing to chip in.

But I have a question: If such a program were to start and attract 10 or 20 merchants and then say 100 quality AM, wouldn't we all just end up fighting each other for placement?

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

I would love to help in anyway possible. As long as the qaulity is there.

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

I would totally like to help in anyway possible. A affiliate Network would be awesome to help put together! And I would buy shares too:0)

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    affiliate program: http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=857

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting Idea, You have my vote and support...

ok lets do this network thing. I will be the best design and reporting system you have seen. No parasites, consolidated checks, comissions, cookies, and awesome support. The affiliated and the merchants should be able to communicate in the network my messaging like datecam uses. This costs a lot of money to do and where would it come from? Getting some merchants to sign on I think that could be handled.

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

You have my vote and support. Could it also have good deep product linking system to really pull out the merchants best converting products? I would love to participate in this.

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

All,

This is our first post to the ABW forum, and although we have been "looking on" over the past few months we have gained an incredible amount of knowledge into the needs of many of you and the issues that are around in the Affiliate Marketing Industry.

For this reason, we have begun a long, costly process to design a solution that fits the needs of YOU, the affiliates, while also realising the business of the advertiser.

We have been doing market research, using best practices of the offline marketing and advertising industry, and using the "top ten" in Advertising/Affiliate Networks to compile a long list of requirements for an affiliate network solution. Much of this based on the offerings from the big ten in the industry.

However, our journey has just begun...and we need the help of YOU, the affliate, to make this solution a reality and a success.

Our goal is to design a solution that fits the true needs of the affiliate, and in order to do this, we need the input, help, or whatever YOU the affiliate (and/or advertiser) can offer us. We have been working on the system's design for many months now, and it is time for us to reach out to the core of who this system is being designed for. This post makes us realize that there are people out there that want to help, and we want to work with you to make this a reality.

If you are interested, please respond to us and let us know in what way you can assist us. We are looking for any help that you can give, regardless of how minimal or large.

All of you have your experiences from the top ten and others, and this information is priceless. We know the "do's and don't" of the industry, but in order to make a solution that is a reality for all of us to use, we need to formalize this thread/board and someone needs to step up to the plate to make it a reality.

WE WANT TO DO THIS, so please lend us a helping hand.

Kind Regards,
    Aseuro

Aseuro I have hears over and over again that people are building a network but it turns out to not impress me ever. We need to make sure this thing is clean and the design and reporting system is awesome. Are you a designer yourself our are you outsourcing this? I have been getting development started on my own network but if someone else has already started it I would love to help in anyway I can. First I would love to see what you have so far. I hope things are coming along for you and that someone can take a shot a linkshare and cj with quality merchants and supports the affiliates not ebates

John Solamito
    www.datecam.com
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast