Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I Quit!
    That's atleast what I feel like saying today. I am not usually like that, but wholly crud this place makes me crazy. Large telecomm company that acts very much like a small gov with every inch of red tape everywhere. Every little issue has to be discussed in length at a meeting with no solution but hours wasted.

If I didn't have the ability to work from home, I surely would have parted ways a long time ago.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you mean if you did/had? You would have left a long time ago?

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Easy does it. Take a deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Do you mean if you did/had? You would have left a long time ago?
    If they didn't offer full time telecommuting, I would have left a long time ago.

The other big issue I have. I am a developer here and here is how my time breaks down.

Coding - 20%
    Meetings - 50%
    Document Writing - 30%

Those numbers are fairly accurate on any given month.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah ok, you never know, you might be able to do this full time in the future. But if I had to have a job, at least you can do it from home, which is nice.

Do what I did ~

Got up for a dentist appointment one Wed. and never came back!

Ah ~ the joys of resigning via e-mail.

Happy not to be the Sr. Dir of Finance for a crappy NFL franchise team with the second to last worse record. Four yrs was enough.

A year later & Blisssssssfully happy!

Quote Originally Posted by GoNicoFish
    Do what I did ~

That's funny. Currently, if I had to support a family of 5 on my affiliate commission checks, we would be sleeping in a Maytag box by the side of the road somewhere.

Let me tell you though, if I could earn the same as what I get paid doing affiliate marketing, I would be one heck of a happy camper.

Subscribe to a couple conspiracy theory magazines, as well as Guns & Ammo, and some NRA pubs. Buy a ski mask and some black leather gloves. Start leaving these things laying around on your desk, and in the break room or kitchen.

People will stop inviting you to worthless meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Subscribe to a couple conspiracy theory magazines, as well as Guns & Ammo, and some NRA pubs. Buy a ski mask and some black leather gloves. Start leaving these things laying around on your desk, and in the break room or kitchen.

People will stop inviting you to worthless meetings.
    My desk and office reside at my home. I don't physically go into an office. Not sure the wife would like that suggestion.

Mack -

You ripped a hole in my gut. That's hilarious!

I mean really! I haven't laughed that hard ~ loud ~ long in I don't know when.

Half a dozen posts from this newbie and I am lovin this place.

G.

CPA Network Rep
    Attack of the Useless Meetings!

The weird thing about meetings is that when you are the one that calls them, they seem like a fantastically important event. But when you are being called to one, it's like "uhh, please, no more!"

In my current "day job" they don't seem to have many meetings at all. Or maybe I'm just not being invited. Either way, it's great. haha

ABW Ambassador
    As far as useless meetings, reminds me of some ridiculous ones I've had. When I used to work at a grocery store awhile back, they rented out some space at a big hotel in Orlando, kind of a pep rally type meeting. Manager wanted us to be happy, supportive etc. They actually had pom poms. You know, those things cheerleaders have And a few people caught a ride with me down to the hotel. So we overdid it on the cheeriness/pom poms. The look on our manager's face. I wish I had it on video so I can YouTube it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Every little issue has to be discussed in length at a meeting with no solution but hours wasted.
    A client I once consulted for had counter height conference tables and no chairs in all of their conference rooms. Since you had to stand at all meetings they were considerably shorter.

If you're attending the meetings virtually at least you can play solitaire and pretend that you're being attentive.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    On the bright side, you telecommute full time.

Do you have to go to the office for meetings?

Man I know how you feel....but the Maytag box isn't an attractive option either.

Each day I try to get a little closer to leaving, but in my heart I know I can't replace things like long-term disability, that I refuse to live without. Atleast without making a quantum leap in earnings.

But I keep trying and someday it might just happen.

I am just blowing off steam today. It's been building throughout the week.

I am just blowing off steam today. It's been building throughout the week.
    The weekends coming. Do something fun with the family and don't think about work. ANY WORK!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

However, I would feel realllllllllllllllllllllly good to be making enough on my own and have that as a buffer if I decide to jump ship.

That's atleast what I feel like saying today. I am not usually like that, but wholly crud this place makes me crazy. Large telecomm company that acts very much like a small gov with every inch of red tape everywhere. Every little issue has to be discussed in length at a meeting with no solution but hours wasted.

If I didn't have the ability to work from home, I surely would have parted ways a long time ago.
    I feel your pain. I was especially feelin' it last night while sitting in the computer lab at the "day" j*b at 10pm wrestling with hardware issues... The overtime pay wasn't really worth it. The hubby's really starting to get interested in AM too as his j*b also sucks. (Whose doesn't?)

We're not in a position yet where we can just quit and go AM full-time, but we're saving up 6 months worth of expenses to do so. Wish us luck.

And good luck, yourself, Seymour.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNicoFish
    Do what I did ~

Happy not to be the Sr. Dir of Finance for a crappy NFL franchise team with the second to last worse record. Four yrs was enough.

A year later & Blisssssssfully happy!
    Sheesh! That's quite a job to walk away from.

I can understand though.
    I personally walked away from a management level position with a large oil company but it probably doesn't equal what you did.

I was also making as much online at the time so the decision wasn't too hard although it was tough to half my income at the time.

CPA Network Rep
    Rematt reminded me of the bliss of "virtual" meetings. As long as you're not a key participant you can put your phone on "mute" and continue on with your ABW surfing. haha

This technique is PERFECT until someone actually asks you a question and you're not paying attention. In case of such an emergency: tell them your phone is breaking up (Pee Wee Herman style). Also make staticky (sp?) noises to confirm the problem.

I do usually put it on speaker phone with mute on also. However, I also end up talking into mute for a moment until I remember to take it off mute.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread