Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Risk for affiliates of LASIK?
    I notice LASIK has an affiliate program with CJ.

The deal for affiliates is basically this:
    We are offering a FREE LASIK eye exam to anyone that signs up through our online platform. Payout will be $100 for each unique appointment made through LasikPlus' schedule page.
    When does the promise of a "Free LASIK eye exam" become a "bait and switch" proposition? Are the patients of the free "eye exam" pressured or lured into the LASIK surgery? How easy is it for the person to walk away?
    Also, some people are very naive in terms of reading the "fine legal print."

Read this issue of Eye World:
    http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3892

Dr. Steve Arshinoff, clinical instructor of ophthalmology, University of Toronto, "cited a new type of patient who requests a medical procedure rather than complaining about some ailment, presumably after having seen some refractive procedure advertisement. This type of patient represents a 'dangerous shift in the doctor-patient relationship, expectations, and sometimes the actual delivery of care.'"

Laser eye surgery isn't for everyone and the procedure carries the risk for blindness. As an affiliate I'd like the commission for the eye exam but I'm afraid of advertisements that persuade individuals to undertake a procedure really not for them or for vanity only that could carry such terrible costs:
    “[Getting your money back] doesn’t help you if you go blind from the operation,” Dr. Koch said. “Your money back doesn’t quite cut it.”[source]
    How do other affiliates see this? If the "eye exam" is a pressurized marketing deal, I don't feel good about being the affiliate who sent a visitor to be "blinded by the light." What if the visitor remembered the ad on your website but the actual procedure carried unforeseeable consequences? I'm having second thoughts about promoting a program with such risks unless I can be confident that the visitors can walk away easily from such a deal.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    "How do other affiliates see this?"

That adults can make adult decisions for themselves/personal responsibility.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Rhia

I saw them in CJ. Had questions. There's NO contact info in CJ. No contact info on their website.

Just a toll free phone number.

I can't picture ANYONE doing it without calling.

I actually called the toll free and said i saw the new thingy in CJ, I have affiliate questions. They had no idea what I was talking about,

Sent me to another company, where I had to explain what an affiliate is - they had no idea who the affiliate manager was.

I'm avoiding them

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I saw them in CJ. Had questions. There's NO contact info in CJ. No contact info on their website.
    This is the CJ info available to all affiliates:
    email: info@mediatwo.net
    URL: http://www.lasikplus.com
    Currency: USD United States Dollar
    Joined Network: 10-Aug-2007

Billy, you have an excellent point about the telephone #.
    Something like this isn't like ordering a t-shirt or a bra online, I would think that the potential "eye examinee" might want to confirm a session with a phone call (and ask questions). Is there tracking for telephone appointments?

Of course the tracking wasn't my major concern, I am concerned about people who may be swayed by advertising just too good to be true. People don't always think of the potential complications.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Where do you look that I don't know of??

I clicked on the New Merchant link on the opening screen... it popped a window... and this is all I get:

URL: xxx .lasikplus.com

Category: Vision Care (show similar advertisers)

Description: LasikPlus Vision Centers offers LASIK vision surgery through more than 65 vision centers nationwide. As a publicly traded company, we are one of the leaders in our industry. We are offering a FREE LASIK eye exam to anyone that signs up through our online platform. Payout will be $100 for each unique appointment made through LasikPlus' schedule page. We do not accept spammers, nor do we accept people running our offer on search engines. Publishers wishing to run email campaigns can contact us for HTML creative. We have a dedicated affiliate manager who can personally customize offers for your network or site. Publishers that can generate 6-figure sales will receive additional bonuses. This campaign requires exclusively US traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    This company just wants free advertising. Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Where do you look that I don't know of??
    Publisher Home Page => On the left side of the page is New Advertisers

I hit "LasikPlus" (a current new advertiser) and get:
    LasikPlus
    email: info@mediatwo.net
    URL:www.lasikplus.com

Category: Vision Care (show similar advertisers)

Description: LasikPlus Vision Centers offers LASIK vision surgery through more than 65 vision centers nationwide. As a publicly traded company, we are one of the leaders in our industry. We are offering a FREE LASIK eye exam to anyone that signs up through our online platform. Payout will be $100 for each unique appointment made through LasikPlus' schedule page. We do not accept spammers, nor do we accept people running our offer on search engines. Publishers wishing to run email campaigns can contact us for HTML creative. We have a dedicated affiliate manager who can personally customize offers for your network or site. Publishers that can generate 6-figure sales will receive additional bonuses. This campaign requires exclusively US traffic.

ActionCriteria Customer books an appointment online at Laskiplus.com
    Action Referral Period 30 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission $100.00 USD
    Locking Period - Standard Actions lock on the 10th of the month, unless extended.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    This company just wants free advertising. Avoid.
    Interesting comment. How do you come to that conclusion, Snowman?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

LOL - those are the same steps I followed

Guess they don't want me to have the contact info

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Interesting comment. How do you come to that conclusion, Snowman?
    You said it yourself:
    Billy, you have an excellent point about the telephone #.
    Something like this isn't like ordering a t-shirt or a bra online, I would think that the potential "eye examinee" might want to confirm a session with a phone call (and ask questions).
    And the description says they only pay commissions booked online.

I'm also perplexed by the contact info. you posted. I see what Billy Kay sees.

Laser eye surgery isn't for everyone and the procedure carries the risk for blindness.
    Just for this reason, I'll never consider having it done. It's also the reason I'd never promote it. How would you feel if you sent someone there and there was a problem..... There's a lot of things I won't do for money, harm someone is on the top of the list.

I'm also perplexed by the contact info. you posted. I see what Billy Kay sees.
    I told you how I came across the information. Maybe you should clear your cache or something. I use a Firefox browser. I would think that the same info would be available to all. I make commissions with CJ but I'm not one of their $10,000 a month Power House Affiliates yet.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Just for this reason, I'll never consider having it done. It's also the reason I'd never promote it. How would you feel if you sent someone there and there was a problem..... There's a lot of things I won't do for money, harm someone is on the top of the list.
    That's exactly how I feel.

I looked at the questionnaire and it said, "Are you over 18?"

There are a lot of insecure 19 and 20 year olds out there. People can feel insecure at any age and be duped by vanity to go ahead with a risky procedure.

I wouldn't want to betray anyone's "good feelings" for my site.
    I get repeat visitors and for them I want to hold my sites to higher standards.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well... I had to join their program to see the contact info... I of course expired it because it's pointless as others have mentioned.

Rhia - do you have some scary background with Lasik or something? You went to the trouble of finding an article about free Lasik procedures and possibly unethical promotion practices, most of which seems overblown (after all, as Trust mentioned, adults can think for themselves). Are you aware of how much these procedures actually cost in the real world? I'll be getting it done in January and it's going to run almost $3500 at a reputable doctor, although I have admittedly very bad vision with lots of astigmatism. I don't think too many 19 year olds are dropping that kind of cash, and it's very rarely covered by insurance. I know many people who have had the procedure and none have had complaints or wouldn't do it again in a heartbeat. I think the technology is amazing and even enough of a correction to not have to wear glasses or contacts all day would be fine with many people, but nearly all see well enough (aka 20/20) to not wear any kind of corrective lenses at all... for many years. Just not seeing the issue with Lasik or the advertiser in question.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketguyz
    Rhia - do you have some scary background with Lasik or something? You went to the trouble of finding an article about free Lasik procedures and possibly unethical promotion practices, most of which seems overblown (after all, as Trust mentioned, adults can think for themselves).
    If you are having the procedure done I hope for the best that it is a success.
    You might want to have an attorney read the fine print prior to signing.
    You might want to read up on these malpractice links (the risks are not overblown):

Lasik Surgery: When Eye Surgery Goes Wrong

Medical malpractice predictors and risk factors for ophthalmologists performing LASIK and PRK surgery.

Medical Malpractice Defense Group Received Another Lasik Case Defense Verdict

A Pain in the Eye That's Forever

There are many more sites. Just Google medical malpractice and Lasik.
    The "sell" sounds great but there are many risks involved. I wouldn't like to think that a visitor to any of my sites might encounter a similar problem to the sites just cited.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Two of my friends had it done locally and with great results. One even showed me the video of his procedure. It sounds very safe, and heck... even Tiger Woods had it done.

I contacted Lasik to ask them for banners that didn't have their phone number in them. They updated their banners in less than a day. (you're welcome)

Providing value to visitors to my sites (free exam) seems like a good thing to do.

You can find just as many articles claiming people's brains are getting fried by their cell phones. Does that mean you're not going to market cell phones?

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia, only focusing on the negative. That would be like someone promoting condoms and finding articles on the 0.4% that break and worrying someone is having unplanned pregnancies because you had condom links on your site.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketguyz
    Well... I had to join their program to see the contact info.
    So apparently Rhia had already joined their program before she posted. I never knew the contact info. changed once you joined a program. That's ridiculous that CJ hides some of the pertinent merchant info. until you join their program.

As to concerns about promoting a product or service that could cause legal problems, it is something to think about in today's litigious society. There are lawyers out there who will join the most ancillary parties in a lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I contacted Lasik to ask them for banners that didn't have their phone number in them. They updated their banners in less than a day. (you're welcome)
    This is valuable info. It tells me this agency who is handling the LasikPlus affiliate program doesn't know squat about affiliate marketing. It's bad enough that they have their toll-free number plastered all over the LasikPlus site when they don't commission on phone orders, but to have it on their affiliate banners shows definitively that they are only after free advertising.

Rick, based on your posting history, I'm almost willing to put money on you coming back here at some point complaining that this merchant doesn't convert after sending them XXX clicks. Think about it. Are you not being lured simply by the hope of $100 commissions? You're not going to get them. This one is just a no brainer to an experienced affiliate marketer.

So apparently Rhia had already joined their program before she posted. I never knew the contact info. changed once you joined a program. That's ridiculous that CJ hides some of the pertinent merchant info. until you join their program.
    That is true, I joined mainly out of curiosity.
    I don't remember whether the contact info was hidden prior to my "click to apply."

As to concerns about promoting a product or service that could cause legal problems, it is something to think about in today's litigious society. There are lawyers out there who will join the most ancillary parties in a lawsuit.
    The thought is a tad scary.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Rhia, only focusing on the negative. That would be like someone promoting condoms and finding articles on the 0.4% that break and worrying someone is having unplanned pregnancies because you had condom links on your site.
    That sounds like something I might worry about

I've signed up with dozens of dating sites but I am afraid to put the links down because I wonder what if the people go on a disappointing date?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I got LASIK'ed years ago. (I had really bad eyesight 20-400). I would say in the long run, it has been worth it. Visions not perfect, but good enough for day-to-day tasks, with reading glasses.

As for the aff program, website too leaky, 1 way to get payed...maybe, 3 ways not to (not including 'request a free brochure')

ABW Ambassador
    I've signed up with dozens of dating sites but I am afraid to put the links down because I wonder what if the people go on a disappointing date?
    You can't be serious.

You can't be serious.
    The thought has held me back (actually).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Well that's called paranoia.

Well that's called paranoia.
    I was half joking & half serious.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast