Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Dell Home
    I see that Dell dropped Linkshare effective the end of the month. I got an email from Dell telling me they are moving to CJ. The link to sign up though takes you to a page to sign up for a CJ account.

Am I missing something or is there a join the program for existing CJ affiliates somewhere? I only see one for Dell Small Business.

ABW Ambassador
    That should come later.

The first set of instructions in Dell's email was for non-CJ affiliates, and then my email also had the instructions below for affiliates already signed up w/ CJ. I already had a CJ account, and this did allow me to sign up for Dell Home via CJ.

I should caveat what I just said with the fact that applications are manually reviewed, so I am now pending...not necessarily signed up yet. Their handy steps made it sound like they auto-approve, but guess not.

...and as I said in this thread, http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=dell , I'm still hoping that they don't consolidate the Dell Home and Dell Small Biz programs and slap the 1% commission on both.
    -Sharon

I have gotten several e-mails notifying me of the change and to apply in cj and "you should receive confirmation" immediately.

Its getting very close the cutoff date.

Is anyone else waiting patiently? Or, was acceptance fairly immediate as an affiliate of Dell Small Business?

Thanks,
    Gina

ABW Ambassador
    Finally signed up thru the email link and acceptance was in a few minutes.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    For years now the only real producers for the DUALING Dell cookie programs are affiliates practicing forced cookie stuffing. So you think you'll make money showcasing the great Dell system deals by taking the time to build Dell Home and/or Dell Small biz links? Think again.

Every major and minor BHO is poaching the domain Dell.com for cookie overwrites. Incentive couponers are often caught cookie stuffing BOTH Dell Home & Small Biz cookies playing the point of sale (verses traffic origination) attack dog role. Hundreds of Dell affiliates ride the 180Solutions/Zango forced cookie gravy train. Legit domain showcase Dell affiliates with content and individual product links just send targeted traffic into to this cookie landmine field. To make things worse, to offset the 90% of Dell commissions going to the darkside and cookie stuffing incentive experts, the 2 Dell divisions wash each others affiliate referral cookies if you cross over the invisible "no commission" barrier while shopping/navigating their site. Dell purposely advertises within Dell.com both Home & Small Biz banners to entice the cookie washing crossovers to reduce legit originating traffic commission exposures. They have never done anything to reduce the BHO & trademark + coupon point of sale attack dogs who come here and brag they can snatch Dell sales at a high conversion ratio.

At least after years of the same senerio some computer merchants have added GoldenCan and PSC product creatives. This might help conversions by focusing the landing page, which never was a consideration for the Adwhores running Dell.com affiliate programs.

So run, don't walk, all you POS (point of Sale) cookie manipulators and take a few minutes to change over your Dell links. My advice to Dell.com traffic originators is to take down ALL Dell.com links and let the fat cat Dell incentive affiliates eat off each others miserably low originating traffic sources. It will be a cold day in hell when Dell management raises commissions for physical click natural SERP showcase building affiliates to offset their cookied traffic getting whacked once reaching the merchants site. Every returning shopper who can't spell Dell.com is the only source for return day cookie sales to this elite group of shoppers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I signed up a few days ago. Just got my acceptance today. Actually had a CJ rep call to make sure I was going to sign up.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Hard to get excited about a 1% commission structure with Dell (or Apple for that matter).

Anyone actually make money that way with them?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    From Jan 1 07 until now, I have made a whopping $1.27 commission from Dell Home.

Dell Welcome Email
    This morning I received the Dell Welcome email to Commission Junction. Do the CJ people proofread or what???? A few of the links in the email linked back to the Linkshare site. And at the end of the email "Best wishes, Your Dell Home Systems Team, Sarah, Jolene, Sharon, and Connie". That was the signature I received in my previous Dell emails when they were on the Linkshare platform. Weird.....

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Hard to get excited about a 1% commission structure with Dell (or Apple for that matter).

Anyone actually make money that way with them?
    Yes. My EPC with them is good even with that low percentage because the average order size for computers/stuff they sell is usually higher than average order sizes of other merchants. Plus lots of people who want to buy a Dell, want to buy them direct from Dell.com, like I did

ABW Ambassador
    It seems to me at some point Dell and Apple will have to realize that it is their commission rate and not the network that is making their affiliate programs lag. It is absurd to assume that the percent commission rate that worked well when computers were $5k a pop will providing a living for a sales force now that computers are $500 a pop.

ABW Ambassador
    What makes you think their programs are lagging? I have no idea why they both went from LS to CJ but could be for all sorts of reasons. As far as the 1%, if you have computer traffic or can sell their stuff you can raise that. If you can sell about 3 Dells a day, assuming the average order is just over $1000, you can wind up getting 2%.

We do well with Dell. Would love higher commissions but don't see it happening in such a commodity market.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    It seems to me at some point Dell and Apple will have to realize that it is their commission rate and not the network that is making their affiliate programs lag. It is absurd to assume that the percent commission rate that worked well when computers were $5k a pop will providing a living for a sales force now that computers are $500 a pop.
    I'm not condoning the commission rate but I think your comment about providing a living is pretty absurb. Exactly how many programs are you affiliated with that on their own (individually) provide a living for you, i.e., that if you had to, you would promote only that one single program and no others and not rely on income from any other sources?

Okay, I'm finally in and good to go for tomorrow.

Commissions are not great, but we are lucky enough to be getting traffic from our se rank at Yahoo so it is worth the 2 minutes of effort a month.

When did Apple go from Linkshare to CJ?
    Does anyone know when this change happened?

ABW Ambassador
    The network join date is listed in the Advertiser Detail on CJ.

Yesterday - August 29.

Check our cj contact email. They sent one out yesterday with instructions for affiliates that needed an expedited approval.

Gina

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNicoFish
    Yesterday - August 29.

Check our cj contact email. They sent one out yesterday with instructions for affiliates that needed an expedited approval.

Gina
    If you read the subject line of the post you replied to, you'll see he's asking about Apple, not Dell.

One of the consequences of off topic posts.

Oops. Thanks Snowman.

This newbie will pay more attention.

Don't stress about it at all - Snowman is just one person with his own opinion.

I personally find it interesting when threads trigger other thoughts, and don't mind the deviation.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetango
    This morning I received the Dell Welcome email to Commission Junction. Do the CJ people proofread or what???? A few of the links in the email linked back to the Linkshare site. And at the end of the email "Best wishes, Your Dell Home Systems Team, Sarah, Jolene, Sharon, and Connie". That was the signature I received in my previous Dell emails when they were on the Linkshare platform. Weird.....
    It's not CJ's job to proofread Dell's newsletter sent through CJ. Yes, any links to Linkshare would be wrong, but if Dell's affiliate team is in-house, then the people wouldn't change.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread