Question Are you permitted to use Disney in your domain name?
    Do anyone know if you are permitted to have the word disney in a domain name. example MyDisney123 . com (example Only) Of course the site would be about disney. I have gone to the Disney Site and read up about what they have about Copyrights, Trademarks & Credits but doing about using the word Disney in a domain name.

Any advice or knowledge? I do not what to setup a site and then have Disney ask me to shut it down.

OMG no! You can't use someone's trademarked name in your domain name to promote them without their permission!

That is my thought, however when I google Disney I see alot of Sites that are not operated by disney.

You will find lots of stuff when you google, but if Disney decides to sue you for using their trademarked name in your domain name and selling their products, it won't matter how many sites have Disney in the name, it will only matter that yours does.

Thank you Anne.........

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, best to keep it out of the domain name but try it in your title tag or yoursite.com/disney type of deal. If you use a TM in your domain, you risk losing it and any work you put into it, like links in etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    yoursite.com/disney
    Thanks Trust that sounds like a great option, I have a site where that would work. Still wondering if Disney would go after me for this option???

I am unable to find and email address for Disney where I could ask them what they allow.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    We work with Disney World and their online group. At one time, they patrol this on a almost daily basis and now, Universal Studios does it very often.

Are the domains with "Disney" in them. Sure,
    affordabledisney dot com
    disneymouselinks dot com

I would take trust's advise. If they would to send a C&D letter, you might have to turn over that domain to them. Not worth you time.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Probably not. I know how strict they are with their name. Back when I was a TA we had to have permission to mention them on our site on in press releases. There was some crazy rules like fax 6 copies of what you want to publish etc. So I'm guessing it's not a good idea to use their name in your domain.
    Last edited by ProWebAddict; August 17th, 2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Probably not. I know how strict they are with their name. Back when I was a TA we had to have permission to mention them on our site on in press releases. There was some crazy rules like fax 6 copies of what you want to publish etc. So I'm guessing it's not a good idea to use their name in your domain.
    Well, most companies aren't going to let you use their TM name in a press release or any other advertising without their written permission.

A big NO-NO! Specially for such big companies that has all the money to sue

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    Well, most companies aren't going to let you use their TM name in a press release or any other advertising without their written permission.
    Well when you are a travel agent promoting their packages or announcing you are certified by their program that's a little different than randomly trying to associate yourself with something you have no involvement with.

Thank you all for the feed back.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but to factor in an additional (complimentary) question: there are no such violations in PPC bidding on Disney trademarks, are there?

If there are none, they you can easily register MyFavouriteCartoons123.com (example only :-) ), and send traffic to your website by bidding on Disney trademarks.

Maybe there is violation. I don't know... Anyone knowledgeable wants to comment?

Thanks,

Geno

That's a nice question Geno. I do wonder if that is allowable?

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but to factor in an additional (complimentary) question: there are no such violations in PPC bidding on Disney trademarks, are there?

If there are none, they you can easily register MyFavouriteCartoons123.com (example only :-) ), and send traffic to your website by bidding on Disney trademarks.

Maybe there is violation. I don't know... Anyone knowledgeable wants to comment?

Thanks,

Geno
    Good point Geno. Kse, if you belong to Disney's affiliate program (do they have one?) then you need to read their rules on PPC and Trademark bidding.

If You're not in their program then there is a current lawsuit that hopes to settle the issue http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...33&postcount=8 (courtesy of Merchant Consultant Team). Google is being sued by American Airlines for allowing competitors and non-related businesses to trigger ads using American Airlines trademarks. If American wins the suit (in the next 2 years or so), we'll have an answer. In the meantime be very careful about bidding on trademarks. If the merchant doesn't allow it, DON'T DO IT, though unlikely that you would be sued, you COULD be sued.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread