Simple Success
    I just stared a new series of blog posts meant to document a new affiliate project from concept, to hosting, to marketing, to hopefully cashing a few checks. It's meant to be informative, but in the end I may be the one doing all the learning. Who knows?

How I'm going to cram the project into my already crazy schedule is yet to be determined, but the first entry is up. Please feel free to drop by and let me know what you think.

http://www.affconnect.com/affiliate-...uccess/step-1/

P.S. The blog is an attempt to retool one of my old sites, a retool still in progress, so please ignore all the dust.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Ethan,

I just went to your blog and read the post in question.

More. More. Tell me More. I gotta get outta my day job.

Seriously, you sparked a couple of ideas for me already just thinking about what you said in that first post. Thanks. Off to check out my gold mining site ...
    Generate more fake news.

Hey Gary, so glad you liked the post! Helps keep the inspiration going.

Let me know if you need anything on your mining site. I'm always happy to talk, share ideas, etc.

Cheers!
    Eathan Mertz

Thanks, Ethan. I have a site which I've put up linked to a blog, but I've neglected both the blog and the site over the last few weeks. Gotta get with it!

BTW -- I posted a comment on that blog entry; registered using the username -- ready for this? so creative, eh? -- writerguy.
    Generate more fake news.

Got the comment, first on the whole blog (which is like 2 days old). Many thanks!

Best of luck with your brainstorming.
    Eathan Mertz

Very nice, Eathan
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks, Rhia. Much appreciated.
    Eathan Mertz

Not bad at all Eathan.

Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn’t take passion about a topic to build a profitable website. It takes passion for building your business, but a site concept just needs money making potential, which mine has.
    Interesting observation, and probably a true one (given you're not nonsensical and/or non-competent about the topic on this newly-built site, which would discredit the whole endeavor). However, I would argue that it does "take passion about a topic" when we're talking an affiliate's first affiliate website. With time (as you learn how to appeal to your audience, how to promote your website and who to promote it to) -- you can expand into niches you're not passionate about. As long as there's demand and you know what you're doing, you'll stand good chances of succeeding.

Having said this, it looks like you're off to a good start, man. Best of luck with it!

Geno

This is really cool Eathan. I've had people ask me about getting into affiliate marketing, and it's really not an easy thing to explain. I'm going to share your site with a few others who have asked me for info, assuming you keep up with it, I think it could be a wonderful guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    However, I would argue that it does "take passion about a topic" when we're talking an affiliate's first affiliate website.
    Nothing like a big fat check coming in once a month from your site to make you a little more passionate about tailgating...

You got something going there Eathan! Keep it up!

Nice blog, Eathan. As a side note, are you planning on adding RSS capabilities to your site? May get more interested readers, if they can add your site to their RSS software.

Hey, thanks all! I'll hopefully get some time for installment #2 later in the week.

@Geno - Guess what I was saying is that drive to succeed trumps enthusiasm for a topic. They both help get you past the obstacles though, so always handy.

@BargainJack - A nice fat check would be great, but even a modest check that keeps coming month after month is enough to make any quick and dirty project like this a success.

@MrCat - Will do my best.Wish I had more time for these sorts of projects. They always add new insight that can be applied to our existing sites, so well worth it, but always hard to fit in.

@MoneyBusiness - Thanks for the tip. I'm new to WordPress, so am not sure if I have RSS turned on or not (or even if it's an option). I'll take a look.

Thanks again, all!
    Eathan Mertz

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread