Domain Transfer Question
    Last year my wife's hair dresser opened her own shop. I helped her out by registering her domain and setting her up a small site.

Now the hair dresser's neice is taking it over the website. What do I need to do to transfer a domain to a different registrar? What are the steps in the process?

Thanks,
    Doug

Tax Paying Member
    Are you talking about changing ownership of the domain or moving it to a new registra??

Moving......
    Tell the new registra what you are doing. He probably needs a few dollars upfront. Get permission from the old registra to make the transfer. Your new registra will lead you through the process.

I have transfered domains in the past with no hassel. I am in the midst of transfering one now that is taking entirely to much time and effort.

Be somewhat selective as to who you use as a registra. Some make it a hassel.

I have never changed ownership of a domain.....Can't advise you if that is what you
    are really doing.

For what it is worth.......from my experience.....it is easier to make changes when your host and registra are different entities.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I'm talking about a change in ownership.

You should inform the registrar and inform them of the transfer to the new owner. You would need a formal letter and proof of the previous ownership. Best if you visit the site's from which you registered the domain and see their FAQ.

If the domain is hosted at GoDaddy, they make the process extremely simple. All you need to do is have your niece set up a GoDaddy account. You can then use the tools on the GoDaddy site to change the ownership info. It is called Initiate Account Change. The entire transfer process takes less than one hour and doesn't require any letterhead or signed forms. You need to make sure that you enter the new owner's name, address, telephone and other contact info exactly as it appears in her GoDaddy account.

The proper way to transfer a domain between registrars is to first release the locks on the domain at the current registrar, then have your niece set up an account at the registrar of her choice and request a transfer of the domain. That process typically takes 5 to 7 days.

Sometimes you will run into problems with registrars who will not release a domain. If that happens, you need to insist because they do not have the right to retain the domain.

I have bought and sold dozens of sites and domains and have never experienced a problem with GoDaddy. I used to use Register.com and Network Solutions. It once required over 30 hours of total repeat calling and submission of forms (no exaggeration, I documented it) to transfer a domain from a Network Solutions account to another Network Solutions account. After that experience with incompressible incompetency, I transferred all of my domains away from Network Solutions and will never use them again.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCat
    You should inform the registrar and inform them of the transfer to the new owner. You would need a formal letter and proof of the previous ownership. Best if you visit the site's from which you registered the domain and see their FAQ.
    Good God man!

If this had to be done everytime a domain needed to be transfered to a new owner, Registrar's expenses would go through the roof and domains would cst $100 a pop!

Most Registrars allow for a domain to change ownship very simply.

To help out in this case the first thing we need to know is which Registrar the domain is at (and confirmation that we're talking about a .com domain here).

The simplest thing to do is to have her register at your same registrar, then you can push or transfer it over with no problems. After that, she can transfer to another registrar and all she has to do is pay the transfer fee (I think she may need to wait 30 days to do that). That's what I would do if I were you. Keep things simple for yourself.

Who charges transfer fees? Friend of mine transferred 32 domains to me and didn't cost me a dime and won't until the domains come up for renewal again - in some cases they had 2 years to go on them yet.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

It probably depends on the registrar. I have similar experiences before and all I needed to do was make a phone call and its done. And there are those that would really require for a release letter for them to be able to transfer the domain to the new owner. I guess it is a case to case basis that is why I advise to go to the site's register for more info

From my experience, if you request a transfer (a pull) from another registrar, then your registrar will charge you a transfer fee. Usually, whatever time remains on the registration stays with the domain name.

If you push it to another account at the same registrar, there is no transfer fee.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread