Question from a newbie
    Hello all. I am a newbie to affiliate marketing, so please forgive me if my question seems naive. I personally purchased something from one of my merchants (a click through the banner on my website). This counts as a sale, correct? And thus, I would be entitled to the commission on the sale, correct?

The purchase was made two days ago and was shipped out today (I received confirmation email from merchant). When will the sale appear in my stats? Does it typically take a number of days for a sale to appear or does it appear in stats automatically when the sale is made or shipped?

Thank you for your help.

Rhonab,

Most of the merchants do not allow clicking your own ads or doing any transactions by clicking on your own ads. But even then as soon as any transaction takes place you should see the money added into your account immediately. If the merchant finds something fishy he might reverse the money at a later time. But generally you recieve money in your Shareasale account as soon as any trasaction takes place.

I hope this has answered your question.

AMEET SHIVRAM
    Last edited by coolmasti; August 19th, 2007 at 01:10 AM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I beg to differ with coolmasti. The majority of merchants do allow you to make purchases through your affiliate links, and the ones that don't normally say so in their TOS.

Search the Test Purchses forum and you will see a veritable panoply of references to such purchases.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Most of the merchants do not allow clicking your own ads or doing any transactions by clicking on your own ads.
    Actually there are VERY FEW merchants who do not allow affiliates to make purchases through their own links.

And yes, the commission should appear in your sales stats immediately.

When doing a test purchase, check the source code of the order confirmation page to see if a shareasale tracking pixel is included. It is not uncommon for a merchant to cheat affiliates by not putting the code up.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

That I agree to.
    But what i actually meant was all the pay per sale programs do not allow making transactions.
    You can't generalise things.

So to cut the long story short, always read the TOS and only then do any transaction.

AMEET SHIVRAM

Are you getting any click-throughs to this merchant? Click their ads and have some friends do the same to see if they are registering. If not maybe you do not have your links setup right, possible your ID is not in the link properly.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I would agree that more than 90% of merchants that run Pay/sale allow the affiliate to use their own link to make a purchase.

AS far as most merchants agree, a sale is a sale and should show up right away.

As far as checking your link, check your stats in SAS, note if you have any hits/clicks.
    Clear your cache and then go to your site and click on the link from your site.
    go back to your stats page and you should see the hit.

If you went to someone elses site that runs an ad for the same merchant you might have picked up their cookie and gave them credit for the sale.

Hope this helps
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Rhonda - Just to be safe - you should check with your merchants PRIOR to making your purchases. Saving a few dollars by earning commissions from this type of effort is not worth getting kicked out of a program about.

I've made a purchase through one of my links that never showed the sale. I contacted the merchant and he checked his side. It was some sort of glitch that they couldn't explain. In good faith, he gave me the commission but it makes you wonder how many sales you might be missing.

This forum is like having a big brother look out for you. Someone will always be here to help you. :-)

ABW Ambassador
    "But what i actually meant was all the pay per sale programs do not allow making transactions."

What affiliatehound and davidh said. Most do. The only ones that have come up over the years that don't is Amazon and some hosting merchants. With hosting merchants you really have to read the terms. But outside of that, I can't think of one merchant that doesn't pay.

But if you have a personal sale thru your own links that didn't show up, post it in the Test Purchase forum so it can be documented.

The responses were very helpful. Thank you. I have contacted the merchant to make sure I get credit for the sale.

Someone recommended posting in the Test Purchase Forum. I looked and couldn't find this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I see I'm not the only one who found navigating the forums a challenge. They should explain when you sign up that you can see all the various forums using the breadcrumb links at the top of the page; That the search function - also at the top of the page - can save a lot of hunting for specific threads; and that the highlighted "New Posts" link at the top of the page can show you all new threads since your last visit. Very simple stuff once you notice them but it can take a few visits before you do. This place is huge and more than a little confusing for the first few visits.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I can not imagine a merchant caring who made the purchase. A purchase is a purchase as long as its paid for and not returned. Once they start qualifying shoppers everyone is in trouble.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Also, not all sales show immediately. They should for most ShareASale.com merchants and a good portion of CJ merchants. LinkShare and Performics merchants will take longer, as will some CJ and ShareASale.com ones.

This is because there are two basic ways of tracking sales:

1) Sale Pixel Tracking. With this simpler implementation, a "network cookie" is set when the link is clicked through. On the merchant confirmation page, a 1x1 (essentially invisible) "sale tracking image" from the network is displayed. If the cookie is there, the sale tracks to the appropriate affiliate. This should report almost immediately (on ShareASale.com) or within a couple hours (on CJ).

2) Batch Sale Tracking. With this more complex implementation, the merchant takes responsibility for all tracking. When the affiliate's visitor arrives on the merchant site, their backend typically sets a merchant cookie (or internally flags the session) identifying which affiliate ID the visitor came from. If the visitor places an order, it's tied to that affiliate ID. On a regular basis (often once a day), the merchant creates a batch file of all new affiliate transactions that meet certain criteria (successfully charged, shipped, etc.) and transmits the batch to the network. Since most batch merchants only report after items ship, it often takes 2-3 days before sales are reported.

To know when to expect sales to be reported, you have to understand which of these implementations are being used.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread