The 'Hot Topics' compared to your 'Passion' niches
    Hi there guys,

Now this time, I do have a direct question concerning what seems to be a bit of a 'rock and a hard place' scenario...

After researching so much from A-Z, a common philosophy is to promote/market a niche that you're passionate about and hopefully knowledgeable also, thus executing it more proficiently and enjoying the process moreso, where it won't be so laborious.

However, another seeming prerequisite, is try to nail down products and topics that are either new to the scene, hot on everyone's list, best sellers, what fits peoples' needs, etc (not mandatory, but suggested).

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do, if your particular niche/product is not highly sought after nor ranks high in customer's needs, thus having to resort to promote the 'Hot' products that you may have absolutely no clue about, nor any interest?

EG; A person is a whiz and loves everything about building model airplanes, but with thorough researching, finds out there's absolutely no desire for this in the marketplace. So he or she has to resort to marketing e-books, web-software and e-commerce products with no knowledge and experinece, thus losing income opportunites because their heart isn't into it, nor are they educated enough to promote it effectively.

Your thoughts and opinions on this would be incredibly appreciated and thanks alot for listening

Mark

ABW Ambassador
    I'm new to this game.. so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

But if the niche you are passionate about, shows you will make no money from it, your choice is pretty clear if your desire is to make money. Go with something that could make you money. Although it will be harder going with a niche you have no knowledge and passion of. Plus, what kind of person are you? Take that in to account. If you know you'll just give up and not finish a project you aren't passionate about, you'll need to find one you are passionate about. Or find a way to motivate yourself.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, do both projects. For every three hours you spend learning about and building a website for the "boring" project, reward yourself with one hour on the "exciting" project.

Again though, that would only work if it is something that would motivate you to work on the "boring" project. Best advice I can give you, is get to know yourself (if you don't already) and do what will make you most likely to stick to it and succeed.

Hopefully that made sense.. and I am relatively new.. so sure the experts here can add on or tell you better things.

Hi again Hardaka,

I appreciate you giving me your opinion regarding this perpexing issue. Yes, it could be that dividing your time with both and monitoring which one is producing can certainly give you a better idea. I just feel that I will produce the best results with a topic that is my forte and/or am knowledgeable and in turn, it will provide better results.

However, if I'm spinning my wheels with something that nobody's interested in and worse yet, don't have my heart into it, it will show in more ways than I'd like. If I may dare say, that I'm a proud enough person that I value my credibility enough and I would value my customers too much, to allow myself to get into any 'rut' with promoting a product that I'm not interested in....but...at the end of the day.....what will the conversions rates look like?.....products for your passion, but with little public interest, or products that people want to buy??

Maybe if I'm passionate about musical instruments, but the hottest item right now, is how to get six-pack abs in 1 week, maybe I can promote how to play the guitar while doing crunches on a swiss ball?? )

Thank again!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AffilMarx
    Maybe if I'm passionate about musical instruments, but the hottest item right now, is how to get six-pack abs in 1 week, maybe I can promote how to play the guitar while doing crunches on a swiss ball?? )
    Creativity can help generate that passion. When I started building web sites (not really that long ago) I believed that knowledge and passion on a particular subject were the most important ingredients for success. And while I know just about everything I found that there was a limit to the number of things that I was passionate about.

The knowledge comes from researching the hell out of a particular area of interest (you can find anything on the Internet) and I found that my passion came from trying to do it better than anyone else had or possibly using an angle that no one else had thought of.

If you've ever read "Zen and the ART of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Persig" a recurring theme was the question of quality. Is quality subjective or objective. Apply the same thought to your question of passion and knowledge and you may have your answer. Should you design your sites around the subjects that you are passionate about or do you become passionate about the subjects that you design your site around? Both can work. You just have to have the dedication to gain the knowledge and the passion will come.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I suggest you go for the "hot" niche, profit-wise. Everything can be learned in this industry

Hi there Rematt,

Great answer! Very grateful for that type of insight ) I looked at the other post that you were referring to last night that was similar to my question and read your answer which gave me this 'lightbulb moment'....actually kind of embarrassed, because it was something that was staring at me right in the face.

Your Starbucks analogy was interesting and that one comment has shed some new light......you gave the promoting of Starbucks coffee as a hypothetical scenario and you said - "Don't promote Starbucks, but promote a variety of coffees on the site from a variety of merchants and provide my visitors with newsletters, reviews, recommendations etc., to give them a compelling reason to return to 'MY' site".

That statement will now be so helpful, because all of this time, I thought that promoting the same product and/or type of company on the same site would be a 'conflict of interest'. That's what caused some confusion. I thought it has to be layed out, where you promote one company and all the other services and products I was promoting, were just 'related' in the same theme, but was NOT another specific competing merchant.

For example - you're promoting a dating company. So that's your main merchant, but all the other products and services on your site were things like flower companies, limo services, greeting card companies, etc. etc - things that were 'related' and would tie into the dating theme, but not another specific dating company.

Please forgive my naivety, but I didn't realize that you can put other exact type of companies selling the 'exact' same product on the same site. A big duhhh on my part and thanks a bunch for clearing that up....and of course for your understanding.

Kind regards,
    Mark

No problem Mark, your scenario for promoting additional products and services is also the right approach. If a visitor is on your site looking for dating services it's also reasonable to assume that they are looking for flowers, limos, etc.. Don't be hesitant to ask "do you want fries with that".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread