ABW Ambassador
    Things I've noticed after being gone.
    Many of you might not remember me, might not care, or whatever. But I left for a little while and took some time off from affiliate marketing. After returning I've noticed a few things that might be irrelevant, but I think it interesting for the community in retrospect.

1. The front page of this site has changed. SAS was the little guy, and now it has the largest amount of merchants on the front page.

2. People still frequently ask if CJ is "down", and then shortly thereafter it comes right back up and everyone breathes a sign of relief.

3. Affiliates are finally fighting back such as the CJ class action suit; however, most are more shocked or confused about the situation to know even where to begin (myself included).

4. The forum has grown massively! I remember when there were only 15,000 members and many of you probably remember waaaay further back than that.

5. As much as I've decided to learn things from the ground up again making sure that I have a stronger understanding, I still don't fully understand Mike's posts. I'm trying Mike, and I respect what you do in fighting this battle for affiliates and merchants.

6. I don't see some of the people that were here before, I do see many others that were here, and I even see some new faces. It's crazy to see how far the post counts have gone up for everyone, and I'm still not in the inner circle yet.

7. Many of us still have join dates of Jan. 2005. I think it's great. It's kind of a hidden ABW thing that not everyone knows about.

8. It's good to see veterans and newbs doing well. Loxly went from affiliate to manager full time? Trust is still everywhere on this board. Etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for everything. I know this thread might be kind of dumb, but a lot has changed here for the better. I missed a lot of things, so if anything else is new to me, please fill me in or make your own observations.

http and a telephoto
    Welcome back bpal Yup from affiliate to corporate aff manager to opm. Work from home in Las Vegas with merchants I like. Still and artist and photographer though, just selling through a different site now

Nice observations And you will get to the Inner Circle soon....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'd say "Welcome Back" except I'm probably new since you vanished so I'll say "Welcome to ABW" instead I've been active here for about a year and I'm not sure too much has changed in that time ... apart from Loxly progressing in her plans to take over the world

Sue.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by bpal
    Many of you might not remember me, might not care, or whatever. But I left for a little while and took some time off from affiliate marketing. After returning I've noticed a few things that might be irrelevant, but I think it interesting for the community in retrospect.

1. The front page of this site has changed. SAS was the little guy, and now it has the largest amount of merchants on the front page.

2. People still frequently ask if CJ is "down", and then shortly thereafter it comes right back up and everyone breathes a sign of relief.

3. Affiliates are finally fighting back such as the CJ class action suit; however, most are more shocked or confused about the situation to know even where to begin (myself included).

4. The forum has grown massively! I remember when there were only 15,000 members and many of you probably remember waaaay further back than that.

5. As much as I've decided to learn things from the ground up again making sure that I have a stronger understanding, I still don't fully understand Mike's posts. I'm trying Mike, and I respect what you do in fighting this battle for affiliates and merchants.

6. I don't see some of the people that were here before, I do see many others that were here, and I even see some new faces. It's crazy to see how far the post counts have gone up for everyone, and I'm still not in the inner circle yet.

7. Many of us still have join dates of Jan. 2005. I think it's great. It's kind of a hidden ABW thing that not everyone knows about.

8. It's good to see veterans and newbs doing well. Loxly went from affiliate to manager full time? Trust is still everywhere on this board. Etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for everything. I know this thread might be kind of dumb, but a lot has changed here for the better. I missed a lot of things, so if anything else is new to me, please fill me in or make your own observations.
    Welcome back bpal. Basically you've just missed the burning of the same bridges and those huge Middle Ages seige machines trying to lay waste the surrounded fortresses of ethical affiliate marketing. The cookie share croppers have some new automation catapult tools to entice targeted shoppers to showcase merchants (GoldenCan -SAS make a page , Widgets, Popshops etc). Problem is their catapulted shoppers still land within the darkside forces cookie landmine fields. We morn the losses of some freedom fighters voices, like the HappyPoons, and see some like Ms.B migrate to full time OUTING of the darkside forces.

The legal challenges to those glutenous pigs growing phat at the commission troughs was not surprising as they become ever-more visible. Seems like some real merchant sales management are looking over all the nifty traffic/ROI analytic data sensing something stinks in the methods of their top 100 producing affiliates. At some point they'll demand actual physical click traffic originators get rewarded and protected. Easiest way to do this across the board is to impose a 24 hr no cookie overwrite rule on network generated links. Sure the fat cats could still buy top PPC slots, but the huge mass of point of sale attack dogs exploiting the originating trafficers wouldn't be as effective in interloping on someone elses sales.

Am I getting any clearer??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Welcome back B. Your post was a refreshing summary of history and the present. Hope the sabatical served you well and re-energized your interest in affiliate marketing.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Mike *I* got through the first paragraph after I read it twice, second paragraph is still baffling, lol.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    It has been one of my 2007 goals to understand those posts. It might have to run onto 2008's as well :-)
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Am I getting any clearer??
    I think I actually understood some of it! If nothing the metaphors place images of giant pigs standing on their hind legs firing trebuchets at a large castle with Haiko's avatar standing high behind the walls ready to unleash a counter attack!

And Alan, I do feel re-energized. I've started trying to learn things from scratch again. Instead of "reading and searching" like we tell all the new people, I've decided to get involved more. Instead of just trying the same things over again, I've decided to try to figure out the little things that people spoke of before that I figured wouldn't matter to me. I've decided to learn html better and css and beyond. I want to be more at the forefront over time than playing catch up.

Thanks for the reply's to each of you who replied. It's good to be back here.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread