Is Anyone on Board?
    I really amuses me to see a merchant go off line on occasion or consistently show low funds. Even worse it shows me that when a merchant has a domain expire clear back on 8/3/07 that they must not care at all about the affiliate program especially when it appears the program is still active.

I just wish there were higher standards for merchants working an affiliate program.

I have emailed the merchant and do not expect to hear back this has happened before with a few other merchants.

Anyone else have any good suggestions or ideas?

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Choose your merchants carefully. A little research might reveal some weaknesses not visible on the surface. But sometimes things happen...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Check domain expiration dates prior to signing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella
    Check domain expiration dates prior to signing on.
    I signed on long before domain expired.

Are you suggesting that domain be paid up a few years in advance?

That's one thing I love about the new PowerRank features. It helps identify those higher quality merchants.

Still, I agree. Those who can't even keep their program funded or their site online really shouldn't even have a program.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with ya'.

On the other hand I usually wait for a response if I do not get it within 2-3 business days I drop the merchant. Yes the the person handling the affiliate may be the owner or on vacation or what ever but laptops and wifi and auto responders or least an auto reply message saying I will be away and back on such and such a date would be an indication that some thought was given to the affiliate before dissapearing.

I can understand the low funding but I think if a merchant goes offline x number of times due to lack of funding they should be booted. If they want back into the network they can reapply. Is it really too much to ask! It keeps the quality of the network a little higher.

If this is about the Solar Home place, they are also leaky with AdSense, actually promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper
    I signed on long before domain expired.

Are you suggesting that domain be paid up a few years in advance?
    Exactly. At least two.

We have a bunch of domains. Some we paid up for five or ten years, and others we renew as they come up if we think we still might use them. Our main sites are paid up through 2010, but come 2009, we might not remember to re-up for another block of years. In this case we could end up with a domain that expires in less than two years, maybe even less than a year.

I think you also want to look at past history. How long has this merchant been in business, and how long have they had an affiliate program. If they have a long history, I would not be too worried about their domain expiring in a few months. If they are new, or have shown other factors (like consistently being low on finds).

I would put some responsibility on the 3rd party provider of the program as well if the domain is dead and not renewed to halt the program immediately to protect the affiliates.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcwaller
    We have a bunch of domains. Some we paid up for five or ten years, and others we renew as they come up if we think we still might use them. Our main sites are paid up through 2010, but come 2009, we might not remember to re-up for another block of years. In this case we could end up with a domain that expires in less than two years, maybe even less than a year.

I think you also want to look at past history. How long has this merchant been in business, and how long have they had an affiliate program. If they have a long history, I would not be too worried about their domain expiring in a few months. If they are new, or have shown other factors (like consistently being low on finds).

I would put some responsibility on the 3rd party provider of the program as well if the domain is dead and not renewed to halt the program immediately to protect the affiliates.
    Thats some good advice. So SAS should be contacted regarding the particular merchant. I usually contact the network if there is no resolve or response from the merchant.

The ironic part is you can still sign up and be auto aproved.

I think after no response from the merchants I will be dropping them. It is quite frustrating building up a site around them to have this situation go on.

Can anyone else recommend ways or sites that help you research merchants before signing on. I usually search through forums but with newer merchants there is not usually a lot to go on.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread