Question Tips for generating traffic?
    I have a domain, as you can see, if you look at my profile, I average around 600 hits a week, I'd like to see that change to 600 a day or more.... any ideas?

My website is a Political Blog. I've registered everywhere... But I just can't seem to bring in the traffic.

Any suggestions?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePopulist

My website is a Political Blog. I've registered everywhere... But I just can't seem to bring in the traffic.

Any suggestions?

Maybe your product is not saleable
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Please don't take this the wrong way but I absolutely CAN NOT read anything when there are flash banners happening on both sides of the article and I'll bet I'm not alone. I suggest you focus on developing your content, decide exactly what it is that you want to promote, promote it in a more subtle manner and try to develop a following (that would be people who don't immediately hit their back buttons as soon as they enter your page). Otherwise choose another topic, perhaps disco dancing or skate boarding, something that doesn't require much concentration, develop a really busy site, inundate your pages with all those moving banners and add some animated disco balls. That could work.

I'm in the same boat...trying to get traffic, and think it's TIME. I get daily googlebot visits, and my site is updated frequently, so hopefully in time, the traffic will come.

Good luck with your site, and you should reconsider the banners.

You copied too much from the Washington Post article. What are you, a scrivener ? Quote snippets from the article (not the entire article) especially if readers can easily go to the source.

You need to work on style plus you need to answer the question "why would people choose to read my blog over the hundreds that exist?"

Your blog as of now seems to be a bit of a hodge podge. If you have cultivated a preexisting audience, such an audience might be amused that you flirted with a 40 year old who was fixing your laptop, but right now no one seems to care.

You need to streamline your writing and develop some type of style that makes your blog special.

The ads you are choosing in the side columns detract from your blog.
    Consider a 2 column blog if the 3 columns are not really adding value (such a change might be easier on the readers' eyes).

Continue to work at it and your blog will improve.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    At first glance the blog is too cluttered. This makes it very hard to read. I agree with Rhia on choosing a 2 column blog.

And perhaps a light background w/dark text is easier to read than a dark background w/light text but then again I rarely paid attention in design class so don't quote me on that one.

I think you have to get the format together and then work on your content to make sure it's up to par. Since some of your posts are so long maybe you should display fewer per page.

Good luck.

Angry
    You know I came here asking for traffic tips, Not for advice on how to design my ****ing blog. I shall not make this make that mistake again. My attitude is, Don't like my blog? go elsewhere.... and Yes, I do have readers.

good day!

ABW Ambassador
    Now I can see why you had problems with SAS.

The design of your blog can play a part in the traffic. As far as your readers, it says you have 3 people signed up for RSS updates and I'm sure you have others that come to the site but it could use a little work which would result in more traffic.

Imagine his attitude if he actually did get traffic? Geez ... Scary!

---------------

Populist,

You must understand that the traffic you might get will not stay or much less return because of the site's issues and design - it looks like and is as distracting as a blown up box of crayolas, you should fix it and your attitude.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hi Populist,

I agree that your columns are distracting, and that should be the first
    step to increasing your traffic. Why?

See, it's not about the "size" of your list/subscriber list, it's about
    conversions.

What do you do with 1 million visitors that come to your site, and buy
    nothing/make you zero dollars?

It's much better to convert the traffic that you are ALREADY getting
    first! Increase your conversion, and traffic will increase naturally.

To increase traffic to your site:

1. Write original/related articles about your topic, and submit them
    to open public article directories where others can use them on
    their site - with your signature link intact - sending you highly
    targeted traffic.

2. Use a tell-a-friend form so your current readers/subscribers can
    spread the word FOR you.

3. Setup an affiliate program, to pay others to promote your site.

4. Contact site owners of similar, but not competing ideas/products,
    and ask them to exchange links with your site.

5. Advertise in ezines/magazines. Offer a free report/download about something
    related to your site, in exchange for visitors subscribing to your
    newsletter/blog. In your case it could be something real easy like:

"Free Report Uncovers the Top 10 Reasons Democrats will lose the
    Election in 2008...."

"Free Report Uncovers the Top 10 Reasons Republicans will lose the
    Election in 2008...."

"Free Report Reveals Why the War In Iraq Can't Be Won"

"Download Your Free Report Detailing 5 Reasons America Has
    to Win The War in Iraq"

"What Liberals Don't Want You to Know....."

"Far Right Radicalism, and How to Combat it...."

You get the point....give away related content and pull visitors
    to your site.

There are literally hundreds of ways to draw traffic to your site,
    but if they don't get what they expect when they get there, it's
    of little value.

One thing to change immediately is to get rid of the two white
    banners that offer advertising. It makes your site look new, and
    desperate.

Please take all suggestions in this thread as constructive, and
    not a personal attack on you or your site. none of us were born
    with the information to make a successful website - we all learned
    it along the way, and it's time to pass that on to you - so you
    can help yourself, and others in the future. ;-)

Hope this helps!
    Ken

ABW Ambassador
    Your attitude and your posting history speak volumes about you. It's now quite understandable why you don't have a job, you blow up at SAS and what I suspect are lots of other problems in your life. The lack of traffic to your blog should be your least concern.

Get some help with how to deal with people. Your needs are far greater than what ABestWeb is designed for.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Here's my 2 cents. From a guest perspective, your blog is less about sharing of political views and more about pushing advertising space and pushing products for web hosting, debt management, and a slew of other things.

If your main goal is to try and scare away a visitor with overwhelming ads, you have succeeded. If you truly want yours and others political views shared and commented on, try making that the main focus of the blog. Because right now it just screams "RENT FROM ME OR BUY STUFF THROUGH ME!"

Not trying to be harsh, but trying to offer some helpful criticism.

Populist has been removed as per http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93768
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

You know I came here asking for traffic tips, Not for advice on how to design my ****ing blog. I shall not make this make that mistake again. My attitude is, Don't like my blog? go elsewhere.... and Yes, I do have readers.

good day!
    Maybe your attitude is your traffic problem.

You see, if you really want traffic you have to be ready to learn from others and change from the current course. Listen to the good the bad and the ugly. It is not enough simply to learn, you must actively change something because of what you learn. Then when it all seems calm and stable, be ready to learn and change all over again!

Much of what generates traffic is attractivenes and stickiness or appeal of a site. Do you have any idea about who reads your site (traffic wise?) Do they come back for more and bring their friends? Split test your ideas and presentations. Several have noted glaring flash problems and so forth, flash can cause problems. If you are too attached to your creation you will not be ready to do what it takes to get traffic.

First and foremost hold the attitude in check. I know what folks say may sound harsh, but they have the experience getting trafic and more importantly sales conversions. Look and listen through the eyes of others. You must be ready to change a few things.

Even politics is a commodity that must be sold.

AJ
    Gold Prospector just Prospecting Sales! :coolsmile

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Populist has been removed as per http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=93768
    Okay, to the lurkers thinking "WTF, that seems harsh" think about it again. The guy posted a question about traffic and got some sound advice that would likely net him more traffic and more money from his venture, and then decided to bite the hands attempting to feed him.

That's stupid. Good advice can be worth a fortune while a thin skin rarely adds much value. Give a man a fish...teach a man to fish...blah...

Without an attitude change, this guy may never learn to fish.

From that other thread:

I could ruin this company's reputation in a matter of keystokes. trust me, it's been done before.
    Get over yourself.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Cool

good day!
    Your attitude is also why you don't have the traffic that you want to your site.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If you came asking advice you should take in the advice offered without being offended. If you aren't open to honest input you shouldn't ask for any input. If you simply want people to say you they love what you are doing stand in front of the mirror and talk to yourself.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Cool
    I could ruin this company's reputation in a matter of keystokes. trust me, it's been done before.
    OH boy - I'm shaking in my boots.

I bet that some day your battle ship mouth is going to get your row boat butt kicked.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I think the poster has been banned, so is not reading the feedback. :-)

Sometimes when it comes to creating an individuals first site ever, it's very easy to become attached and protective over what may have taken that person quite a bit of time to build.

On the other hand, when others have much more experience than you and they are succeeding at what you are trying to do, a bit of constructive criticism by those individuals is not meant to be harmful, it is meant to be helpful so that you do not have to make all the mistakes they may have made on the road to getting where they are now.

I think the advice given to the original poster was very good, and worth listening to for those trying to increase traffic to their site.

Why? Because I don't think very many visitors are likely to buy anything from a site the first time they visit it. After they've visited a few times and you've captured their interest and trust, then they are more willing to try a product you've recommended.

So the advice given was good advice, because it would have helped this person capture the kind of traffic that would bring in the conversions.

Heck, I had three days in a row a couple weeks ago where I had between 800 to 1000 visitors a DAY to one of my sites, yet with zero sales. The traffic came from StumblUpon, but the important information is that the sales didn't start to roll in until the week after.

I suspect this is because a portion of those visitors bookmarked my site or decided to come back and read some more articles... and eventually were willing to trust that I wasn't out to scam them, and that the products I was reviewing were worth checking out.

THAT's the kind of mindset I want visitors to have when they click one of my ad links. I don't want them to be suspiscious in any way - that kind of mindset doesn't convert very often even if there are hundreds of them.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread