Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What will you do when you retire?
    I'm in my fifties. Hubby isn't far behind. Lately we've been talking about what we will do when we retire. Hubby is most uncooperative. All he wants is a house on a lake so he can fish all day. Hmmmph. I have bigger plans. I want to travel, Europe mostly, all the countries on the Mediterranean Sea. I plan to eat my way from Portugal to Turkey. And I'd like to rent a motor home and spend one summer visiting every MLB stadium and taking in a game, and sightseeing along the way, too. I'd also like to go back to college and get a degree in something totally superfluous, just because I enjoy being a student. And learn to knit and crochet and speak French fluently, just because it's such a beautiful language to hear and hey, most people don't realize this, but you get to make funny sounds in French that, if you made them in English, would get you institutionalized for observation in a psych ward. And I'm guessing that Jerry Lewis is much funnier in French than he ever was in English and I want to find out for myself.

And of course I'd keep my web sites going, I just wouldn't kill myself during the holiday season like I have for the last few years.

Do you guys think about retirement at all? What do you imagine yourself doing once those Social Security checks start rolling in, assuming the system isn't bankrupt by the time you're eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Do you guys think about retirement at all?
    Every single friggin' day I drag my ass into the day j*b... especially today. LOL. Working full time as an affiliate would kinda be like semi-retirement for me.

If I were retired, I'd travel a bit. Mostly, I'd spend more time with family and friends. I'd do all the things I've wanted to do, but never had time for because of work.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Working "full time" as an affiliate is my retirement. Spending time with family (the real one and all of you here on ABW), traveling, reading, enjoying good food, learning new things, etc.

I've never been a fan of waiting until you're retirement age to enjoy life. Do it now. You never know what kind of health you'll be when you hit retirement age. Or even if you'll get there. My dad was 46 when he died and my mom was 63.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I agree with Michael. This is my retirement. Having a ton of websites built in an extraordinarily diverse universe. I have other folks doing lots of the stuff they're better at and compensating them accordingly.

My retirement is to keep building, traveling and enjoying my family.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    When you love your work, the concept of retirement makes no sense. I think the concept, for a portion of our society, has been changing for some time now. I might move my business onto my (future) yacht and mix work and retirement together until they're workment or retirork.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I think it's difficult for a true entrepreneur to completely retire.

When I take time off where ever I am I see something somewhere as a business opportunity.

The mind keeps going, look at Merv Griffin, at 82 or 3 he was doing a new show.

If he was stifled in a retirement home he would have died from boredom 10 years ago.

It would be nice to work a few weeks say 6, take off a few say 2 or 3.
    Just be touch when your off.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    When you love your work, the concept of retirement makes no sense. I think the concept, for a portion of our society, has been changing for some time now. I might move my business onto my (future) yacht and mix work and retirement together until they're workment or retirork.
    This is so true, Donuts. I have had ONE j*b in my entire lifetime that I truly enjoyed and the only thought I had of retirement then was contributing to my 401k for some vague "someday" that I wasn't really worried about. The job lasted 10 months til the start of the fiscal year and they had to cut half of our team, including senior folks, due to budget constraints. I would probably still be there if I'd had a choice. The rest of my j*bs have been variations on the theme of "misery". Tho', if I hadn't been subjected to those miserable jobs, I probably would've never found affiliate marketing!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

My plan is to build a good base of Internet sites while I am working so when that day comes I can generate enough sales to enjoy my retirement. I will still have one child in high school & one in university on my PLANNED retirement date.

I don't think I will ever "officially" retire.

I will always be a gamer too... told my wife I might be 97, but still playing.

If today is any indication, we will check telebank to see if the first SS was deposited and write out a check for the first house payment on our new Southern home.

Supervise the DSL internet hook-up and download 8 days worth of POP3 spam. Check into ABW and see what's happening. Discover that the stats while we were offline were better than when we sit here and work, so we develop a new business plan featuring more travel, less work.

Then we'll go to Walgreens and pick up all the coupon specials and stop for an unhealthy fast food lunch.

Then we'll run back home to let the estimater in to measure for the range hood microwave and then go to Lowe's to pick one out. Stop and get a library card and register to vote.

Come home, take a nap, check into ABW again, post a little bit and go work on the unpacking some more.

Bottom line: We're doing exactly what we want to do - dink around together doing life. We'll add some travel when we get our luggage squared away. Affiliate marketing adds the cushion that keeps us from a "fixed income". It also finances all our extra dreams and goals.

I am too young and too sexy to think about retirement for now, so I will bump this thread in 30 years or so share my plans.

Move to Hawai'i. Live in a small house near the beach. Rent out kayaks to tourists and such. That's the ticket. IMO.

Hopefully I can retire before I'm too old, but I'd like to Travel around the world, and spend a lot of time at the beach somewhere.

I totally agree with Donuts ... except I won't be on a yacht... at least not mine
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I already am retired. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Healthy outlook Nuts. I've been "retired" for five years now and love it.What retirement means to me is "reaching a point that you can now concentrate on doing the things you love to do." If it is work, it is work that YOU love to do. If it is play - it is playing the way YOU want to play. The ideal plateau is when your work and play cross the same line and become plork.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Not really sure yet. Retirement is way too far off. I don't think I could sit around and do nothing though.

http and a telephoto
    I'm doing what I will do. I agree with Donuts that the concept of retirement is not what it used to be. I can't imagine doing "nothing". I'll always be a photographer and writer and have websites and offer advice to people on how to make money and sell their art and photography online.

Retirement is about following your passion, and that is what I already am doing. Or attempting to do better.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread