Question Displaying xml feeds on sites
    What is the best method and software to parse xml feeds and have them displayed on your site?

There are a number of free services, and software you can use to convert xml feeds to include in a website. I've used RSStoHTML (www.rss2html.com) before, and some others. Just do a search for "rss to ..." etc in google.

(the one above is clearly to insert as HTML, for spidering purposes, but other languages are available too, such as Javascript)
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; August 24th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Well that's RSS - the best way to parse XML is using a server side scripting language like asp or php or even client side javascript using the XML DOM.

Quote Originally Posted by buy-tees
    Well that's RSS - the best way to parse XML is using a server side scripting language like asp or php or even client side javascript using the XML DOM.

"RSS is defined as Really Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary. RSS files are formed as XML files and are designed to provide content summaries (via feeds) of news, blogs, forums or website content."

He wants to parse XML feeds, which is what RSS is. Those programs only need the URL of the XML file, and some settings to format the code for insertion into his page/code.

Yeah RSS is XML - but that doesn't mean XML is RSS :P

Of course, nobody said it was. Also, your earlier statement is right:

the best way to parse XML is using a server side scripting language like asp or php or even client side javascript using the XML DOM.
    Which is exactly what the above mentioned script does.. (they provide the server side script to do so, in PHP, or they have it installed and ready to be used on their site).

On a side note, I found a bookmark for a site that lists similar scripts (using ASP, javascript, etc):: http://www.rss-specifications.com/display-rss.htm - for OP

You said:
    He wants to parse XML feeds, which is what RSS is.
    I'm not that familiar with rss2html but I would assume it reads RSS - hence the name.

The OP didn't say anything about RSS. I'd love to see rss2html read my XML api.

Excellent, So either
    1. hand code in php or asp, and-or
    2. have a script on my server that converts and formats the raw feed into php or javascript which I insert into the site.
    3. have a remote service that does the same as 2, but on their server.

Are those the options or am I missing some.

Adrian, you are right in your assumptions with your raw XML feeds. This feed that you're talking about, is it a simple XML/text/doc/etc file, that has XML content (i'm assuming it is since you mentioned it as a 'raw' feed)?

Is it stored locally, or can it be accessed via a URL? If so, then the above RSS scripts, or services will work (see their samples, or do a small test to see for yourself), or you can develop your own from scratch. I've got it running on a few sites now, and it works like a charm...

Best of luck in however you decide to parse it.

Thanks for the help, I finally got the actual feed url and am ready to try this. This xml feed is designed to be used as a search box that then spits back the xml from that keyword query. They look like search results but are in fact ppc ads.

Here's what the xml feed url looks like:

domain/cgi-bin/feed?par=2668&query=<query>&count=<numResults>&start=<resultIndex>&useragent=<XXXX>&ip=<ipAddr>

I want to have the results display on the page based on a keyword variable or that I hard code rather than through a search box.

I'm not a coder and so am still a bit confused. Could you guys help show me how this might be done more specifically.

I can pm you the precise full url to actually try it out if that will help.

TIA

I know that both ASP.NET and SQL Server have built in methods to handle XML. If you load you XML into a SQL Server table you can query the data in the XML just like a normal SQL Table/Column query.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    I know that both ASP.NET and SQL Server have built in methods to handle XML. If you load you XML into a SQL Server table you can query the data in the XML just like a normal SQL Table/Column query.
    Thanks, I'm not really a coder and so was hoping to get a simpler solution.

This is an xml search feed that I want to hard code the search term and have if submitted so when the page forms, it displays the search term results from the xml feed query.

I have used lastRSS before to show feeds. If you're not a programmer it might take a little time to figure it out though.. http://lastrss.oslab.net/

Thanks for the tips, it appears that the results of the xml feed do not validate (whatever that means)

This is largely why none of the parsing methods have worked so far.

OK, so the feed is valid but it has custom tags, that is why these standardized feed parsers don't work. So how can I map the custom tags to have the feed display according to the style I want?

I've looked into formatting with xslt and displaying with javascript and thought I followed the instructions, but with no luck.

I would ideally like to pull with php so that it will be search engine friendly.

Does anyone have any suggestions at this point?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread