Question Cash Activation Bonuses by merchants!!
    There are many merchants who give cash activation bonuses just for uploading 1 or 2 banners.

When I sent an email to the merchants giving info about placing the links on my site I received no reply!

When does this actually come into SaS account?

Thank you in advance.

AMEET SHIVRAM
    Last edited by coolmasti; August 24th, 2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Adding an icon

From my experience, many who run cash activation bonuses or bonuses for hitting sales targets or bonuses for sales over a certain amount, do a very poor job of following through. With some, it takes numerous followup emails and calls before they give the bonuses. It's a definite turnoff for me.

Affiliate Managers and OPMs should take note. If you're going to offer bonuses, either automate them (SAS has some great tools for this!) or diligently follow through. If the affiliates don't get the bonuses or if they have to hound you for it, your bonuses will become a negative incentive and they won't want to work with you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hello AMEET,
    When I sent an email to the merchants giving info about placing the links on my site I received no reply!
    Hope it was not us and we replied quick.

If you're going to offer bonuses, either automate them (SAS has some great tools for this!)
    Yeap, within sas you can create different rules to have them happen instantly. On a sale, for one affiliate, for all affiliates, for any rule. However, I can understand why some merchants, managers and opms have reasons not to have them automated cause of one time sign-ups and first sales just to get a bonus or paid through paypal for other good reasons.

I've always done instant bonus payments manually usually within 72 hrs. The 72hr window can be used example if you want to make sure the order does process first and no issues with shipping and/or if it is a new affiliate to the network or you are not sure of the affiliate and just incase before you pay the bonus, etc. 72hr is my time, each person merchant, manager, opm can have their own even 30 days is good.

For this 4th quarter I recently automated all our programs see here to test and so far it's working great and on time, but my advice to merchants is if you do not have a manager or opm that will help you monitor closely or you can actually login and see yourself each day and keep report on what bonuses were paid, why and when, then it could be costly and it would perhaps still be better for you to do it manually but, if you promise it, then pay it quick.

Outsourced Program Manager
    No bonus offer system is absolutely perfect, so affiliates please contact the affiliate manager if you don't see it. I think I speak for all AM's when I say we REALLY WANT to give it to you. We know that you'll use the money to grow your affiliate business, and that's what we're here for.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Personally I like bonuses.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I wated 60 Days for a sale to be locked and am still waiting for bonus to be paid for sale. It helps when you see the bonus on your Stats as soon as possible as it makes the wait for the commision worthwhile

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    While this is the SAS forum, I know that coolmasti is referring in part to ARC managed programs.

Cool, welcome to the ABW family and thank you for joining all the ARC managed programs. I don't want you to take what i'm about to post in a negative way, but hope yu will take it as constructive and that it will help you generate true affiliate income with your sites.

I am going to reference a post I made last year in October 06.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...62&postcount=2

In part, the post reads:

Hello team,

Effective today, we are implementing a new requirement in order for anyone to earn the CAB's (Cash Activation Bonus) for loading links to their website. We feel we have been very flexible in the past year with the CAB program, awarding CAB's to 98% of the sites that apply and request it on our programs.

Recently, some people have been taking advantage of the program and we feel a need to apply the brakes. Some affiliates feel that the only purpose of the CAB program is simply to earn $5 or $10 to load a link and have been taking advantage of the CAB programs.

Effective as of today, these new simple rules will apply:

1) You will need to load a few of the text and banner links found on the welcome email.

2) You will need to click them once so they register on the reports.

3) You need to send us an email, using the "reply to" email included on the welcome email as it's coded and will be filtered to the correct merchant.

Example: coffee@andyrodriguez.com will show: Coffee CAB - SAS ID = !!USERID!! in the subject line when clicked from your welcome email and it will be populated with your SAS ID and tracked properly on our end.

4) We will deposit the CAB $$ into your SAS account at the end of the month, providing the links are still there and it's a qualifying website. (see below)

5) The website where the links are loaded has to contain at least 50% content. Content defined as written, non-linked text copy. Coupon, deal sites are ok.

6) There will be no CAB's awarded to websites considered to be banner and link farms. Banner and link farms, in our opinion, are websites where the predominent content are banners and links.

7) Your website must be on a paid, hosted, top-level domain. No free hosting websites will qualify for the CAB program after today.

The spirit of the CAB program is to offer you a liitle reward for getting active and loading links to our merchant programs. Once you have the links loaded, is when you have the ability to start earning commissions. We feel that the CAB program places our merchants above some of the noise level and increases activations. Unfortunately, some people took it as an "affiliate program" by itself and their only goal was to load links, regardeless of any sale potential their link loading action had.

We will be updating the welcome email copy going forth and making sure everyone understands the spirit of the CAB program.

Have an amazing day !!
    Having said that, we need to do a better job at making sure that new affiliates applying to our programs know these rules and have a place where to find them easily. We are working on that as we speak and will have it set up next week.

Cool, please don't take this in a negative manner. If you like, i'd like to invite you to call me and I will help you with ways and ideas on how to find traffic, how to add website content that is relevant and will convert on traffic.

This is an awesome forum and many here have walked in your shoes, including myself. I encourage you to stay, participate and learn from our family.

Thanks,
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Nice standards Andy. I think they are very fair.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I don't want you to take what i'm about to post in a negative way, but hope you will take it as constructive and that it will help you generate true affiliate income with your sites.
    Hey Andy,

Thanks for your response. I agree with whatever you say and look forward to generate good traffic into your site. And I thank all of you for your quick response.

Thanking you,

AMEET SHIVRAM

Even when the affiliate meets all the conditions stated they will not necessarily receive the CAB. I joined two programs that had CABs in place and received no CAB although I followed all the guidelines set out including using the "reply to" the welcome email. I did not join for the CAB only and I put complete pages up for the merchants on my main site which is a fully devoped ecommerce site. One program I left because it is too leaky, the other I still am in but it is no longer manged by the same AM who promised the CAB. The CABs were promoted as an assist to newbies to help defray the cost of WebMerge SAS edition. I used my first commissions to buy the program instead. Another merchant I joined offers a CAB and has no AM and they gave me the CAB the same day I put up the first page. I certainly can understand having restrictions in place to prevent abuse, but it should be made clear in the welcome email and as of April 07 it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    From my experience, many who run cash activation bonuses or bonuses for hitting sales targets or bonuses for sales over a certain amount, do a very poor job of following through. With some, it takes numerous followup emails and calls before they give the bonuses. It's a definite turnoff for me.

Affiliate Managers and OPMs should take note. If you're going to offer bonuses, either automate them (SAS has some great tools for this!) or diligently follow through. If the affiliates don't get the bonuses or if they have to hound you for it, your bonuses will become a negative incentive and they won't want to work with you.
    Good lesson! And this from 1865 http://www.randomwalks.com/2000/10/i...il_to_pay.html
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez

I am going to reference a post I made last year in October 06.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...62&postcount=2
    Hi Andy, we just gave the CAB a try, never did it before.

emails were sent by Ryan today.

We'll see what kind of response we get.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Andy/Emilio as my OPM....Lets give away some cash on Monday!

I will email you now to get it set up....Its been a good weekend...

Plus I just won $500 on a scratch off lottery ticket at the gas station this week!

Share the Wealth!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Bonus for activation
    Andy;
    great standards.

I have a question for you. I am all for bonus's and give them to affiliates on first and second sales but I was wondering, what % of affiliates that get your links up and you give the bonus to actually send in sales?

It seems like your paying for traffic.

Thanks
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    NOT counting ARC - who actually get it - I'm not a fan of CABs

1/3 of my time is devoted to mandatory updating (getting the back-to-school stuff and halloween stuff ready. Updating all the merchant coupons)

1/3 of my time is spent on my next website(s). Doing the research, testing, tweaking before announcing them - or learning something new and adding it little by little to all my current sites

1/3 of my time is spent doing damage control. target moving from linkshare to performics. A merchant going offline. Etc.

That leaves 1% of my time for "Put up our link within a week and get 5 bucks"

If I joined Zappos (just an example) and they didn't have a CAB, I'd develop a strategy. Senior shoes on my senior site. Clown shoes on my clown site. Zappos coupons on my coupon site. Etc. All told, about 2 weeks to develop and implement. Then weeks to test and tweak.

If they had a $5 CAB, I'd just toss up a random link to get the $5 and trash developing a strategy and move on to another merchant. Point is: do I want to invest 2 weeks work on an unproven marketing strategy I may develop - or go for the sure thing (the CAB)?

I feel the same way about "Get a bonus for putting our ugly banner on your home page" offers. 99.999999999% of the time, my home page is probably the worst -most irrelevent - spot for the merchant's banner!

I Concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    NOT counting ARC - who actually get it - I'm not a fan of CABs...
    1/3 of my time is devoted to mandatory updating...1/3 of my time is spent on my next website(s)...1/3 of my time is spent doing damage control...
    I've got to agree with Billy Kay on the CABs. My percentages aren't quite the same, but all of those elements are definitely in there.

Because the majority of my income is now derived from Affiliate Marketing, adding a 5 or 10 dollar CAB to a year's salary is like having an extra pour of Guinness or two at the local pub. I certainly appreciate it when someone buys me a drink, but that would not be "my" reason for putting up a merchant's links. I will put up those links when I am ready to implement them as a part of my marketing strategy. I may join a program with hopes of getting to that strategy, but it seems like something else (something that is a proven income source) frequently needs attention.

If I look back to my "earlier days" on line, the CAB might have been a nice little "bonus" to get more involved with a merchant. It might have actually helped lead me to a path on which to travel.

For Bob, Pets Warehouse: I received Ryan's email yesterday and had a link up within an hour (I was at our beach place relaxing on the balcony and had some time to "spare"). Actually it was an individual page with it's own title, meta tags, original narrative, link AND Widget. I did not do it for the $5 CAB--but because our daughter's family needs some Advantix for their dogs. However, the rest of the offer, as outlined in the email, appears sound and good. It offers opportunity to earn additional bonus for getting off to a good start with P/W. For a "newer" affiliate it might [should?] encourage them to put "a little more" effort into your program.

Unfortunately "right now" I don't have time to add a section (which I am planning) to my main City site with which to address the needs of neighborhood yuppies and their pets (mostly dogs, but quite a few cats). However, I will have the time [sometime] this fall; then some sales should begin to flow.

To Andy: WTG! You and ARC are definitely setting some fine standards for our industry. It was a pleasure to have met you in person at Affiliate Summit in Miami.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread